Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

UK original vinyl of Let it Bleed: You Got the Silver and Monkey Man running slow?
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 19, 2010 22:56

I was listening to a rip of an original UK vinyl release of Let it Bleed today, because I wanted to pick a song that would be most suited for a blind (but not double blind) comparison with the 2002 remaster, so that I could see what others think of it. I had never really given the vinyl rip a good listen, because (unlike some people here) I've always been convinced of CD's aural superiority anyway. This time I did listen to it properly, and I noticed that Monkey Man sounded weird, like it was running slow - by a significant amount. A quick comparison with the CD version confirmed this, as did the track times, so I compared the track times for the entire rip with those of the CD. It turned out that You Got the Silver was also significantly longer than on CD. All other tracks were pretty close. So I listened to You Got the Silver again and, sure enough, it suffered from the same problem.

Now, this could just be a bad rip, although it seems strange that only two songs would be affected. However, I'd like to be sure, so can anyone with both the original UK vinyl and the 2002 remaster compare them? Like I said, You Got the Silver and Monkey Man should be running slow, whereas all other tracks should be fine. The difference is about four percent, so it's very audible. The remaster is the one running at the correct speed - or, in case neither version is, it is the one closest to the correct speed.

If someone would be willing to help confirm this, I'd be very grateful. As far as I could tell this issue has not popped up before, so I'm not at all convinced that it's not just a problem with the rip.

Re: UK original vinyl of Let it Bleed: You Got the Silver and Monkey Man running slow?
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: October 19, 2010 23:52

I think it might be a problem with the rip.

From 1991 to 2009, I was as well "I've always been convinced of CD's aural superiority anyway".

But I decide in October 2009 to:
1- Upgrade my Rega turntable player with a new cartridge
2- Have my LP albums cleaned ina professional machine (Clearaudio)
3- Bought new loudspeakers (Canton)
4- bought new amplifier system (Quad)

I did not have to go through Steps 3 and 4 to make me remember how much more pleasant is the sound from a vinyl record (warmer, closer to the original, etc).

I noticed all this after step 2.

From October 2009, I only bought one CD (to offer my wife) and have been proudly back to black.

Re: UK original vinyl of Let it Bleed: You Got the Silver and Monkey Man running slow?
Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: October 20, 2010 00:21

Not sure now if my memory makes a fool out of me, but, wasn't there talks back in 2005 or around that time that the speed had now finally been corrected on the new SACD issue? The original LP was supposedly having the wrong speed or something like that???

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 20, 2010 00:25

Jan Richards
Not sure now if my memory makes a fool out of me, but, wasn't there talks back in 2005 or around that time that the speed had now finally been corrected on the new SACD issue? The original LP was supposedly having the wrong speed or something like that???
Yes - for Beggars Banquet. I can't find anything of the sort relating to Let it Bleed, apart from people being confused and/or asking which album it is.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 20, 2010 14:06

could it be an issue at pressing plant?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home