Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Beatles Hey Jude: Four screen comparison (video)...
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 28, 2010 23:10

Very cool indeed. From four diffferent edits.
Paul sings a line from The Band's The Weight in the fadeout.

Re: OT: The Beatles Hey Jude: Four screen comparison (video)...
Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: July 29, 2010 08:06

Very very interesting!! I actually remember seeing this and Revolution on Frost I think it was ...

I seem to remember reading at one point in the song someone (Paul?) dropped the 'f-bomb' and it's supposedly still in the song ... think it's just before the 'na na na na' part

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 29, 2010 08:22

That's great! Really, really interesting. A great find. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 29, 2010 08:47

Maybe my favorite Beatle moment, this....

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 29, 2010 15:48

Cool, thanks for sharing

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 29, 2010 18:02

I never ever get bored of that clip. Fantastic.
thanks

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 30, 2010 10:22

good merge ?

Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: July 30, 2010 14:51

From the Beatles Bible:

Hey Jude contains an unedited expletive, which is often played by radio stations to this day. In the final verse, John Lennon sang "Let her into" instead of "Let her under your skin". His cry of "Oh!", followed by "@#$%& hell", remains in the final mix.

"I was told about it at the time but could never hear it. But once I had it pointed out I can't miss it now. I have a sneaking suspicion they knew all along, as it was a track that should have been pulled out in the mix. I would imagine it was one of those things that happened - it was a mistake, they listened to it and thought, 'doesn't matter, it's fine'."
Ken Scott, engineer

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 31, 2010 00:16

I didn't hear the line from the weight what's paul saying?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 31, 2010 00:47

Always great to hear Hey Jude, great post

Date: July 31, 2010 01:08

Marhsall
I didn't hear the line from the weight what's paul saying?

It's at 6:25.

Date: July 31, 2010 01:09

Does anyone know what the "PV Version" means?

What's really interesting is that the David Frost version is an altogether different take. I can only imagine wrangling the crowd back into the first position in order to shoot take two.

The fact that there are different edits of the PV/Smothers/Anthology version is also fascinating. I always assumed that this was shot on video with multiple cameras that were switched "live" and recorded on a master tape. In that format, it's unusual for each individual camera to be recording tape, which they had to have in order to have the footage to make these different versions.

If they shot it on film, then it wouldn't be an issue. It just never looked that way to me.

Anyone know more about it?

Date: July 31, 2010 01:24

loog droog
Does anyone know what the "PV Version" means?

What's really interesting is that the David Frost version is an altogether different take. I can only imagine wrangling the crowd back into the first position in order to shoot take two.

The fact that there are different edits of the PV/Smothers/Anthology version is also fascinating. I always assumed that this was shot on video with multiple cameras that were switched "live" and recorded on a master tape. In that format, it's unusual for each individual camera to be recording tape, which they had to have in order to have the footage to make these different versions.

If they shot it on film, then it wouldn't be an issue. It just never looked that way to me.

Anyone know more about it?

PV means promotional version (or promotional video).
There were three takes made. The most regulary seen one is an edit of takes one and three. I'm assuming they did different edits for Frost and the Smothers Brothers. The Anthology version was probably edited specifically for the Anthology, that's why it ends sooner.

Date: July 31, 2010 07:30

I can ask Michael Lyndsay-Hogg about this next time I talk with him. I believe he shot two performances.

Date: July 31, 2010 09:07

71Tele
I can ask Michael Lyndsay-Hogg about this next time I talk with him. I believe he shot two performances.

That's what it looks like to me since three of the opening frames in these four examples are a perfect match.

And please ask him if it was shot on film or if was done on video...

Date: July 31, 2010 09:17

71Tele

Indeed he did. If you do, ask him if that's him counting in the song ( I think it is). There were also two edits (versions) of Revolution taped on the same day. Also note that when the Hey Jude clip appeared on Frost, it was broadcast in black and white, not color. The Smothers Brothers was broadcast in color. It was also shown on Top Of The Tops a few weeks after Frost On Sunday. That may be the PV version (which went to other countries, too, I think) that they're talking about.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 31, 2010 16:16

tomk
71Tele

Indeed he did. If you do, ask him if that's him counting in the song ( I think it is). There were also two edits (versions) of Revolution taped on the same day. Also note that when the Hey Jude clip appeared on Frost, it was broadcast in black and white, not color. The Smothers Brothers was broadcast in color. It was also shown on Top Of The Tops a few weeks after Frost On Sunday. That may be the PV version (which went to other countries, too, I think) that they're talking about.

One of my earliest Beatles memories is watching the Smothers Brothers show the night the Hey Jude video was shown. I remember my dad explaining to me that the Beatles were "a studio band only" and "too famous" to actually show up and perform live on a TV show, that for several years they had only been sending tapes of themselves performing to TV shows like Ed Sullivan. He also told me that the Beatles did not write their own songs, that they had professional songwriters working for them. This was actually a widespread belief, a sort of general consensus, among members of the Sinatra generation like my dad. He couldn't admit that the Beatles wrote their own songs because that would be to admit that they had an incredible talent, because, being a musician himself, he knew that the songs were good.

I also remember that when the Hey Jude tape began to roll, there was no sound. For what seemed like quite a long while, I saw Paul singing into the mic but no sound was coming out. Same thing happened 17 years later when he performed Let It Be at Live Aid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-31 16:57 by tatters.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 31, 2010 19:35

Not sure why I think a performance of a song with a bunch of "na-na's" in it is so wonderful, but I do. The video performance of Revolution is thrilling as well. The band always seemed to be a step ahead of the curve.

The band hit American shores only months after the assassination and what a youthful, smart, fun and much needed breath of fresh air it was. For a while there they made the world fun, before it all got to be too much and it became a drain. But the band was never uninteresting.

Date: July 31, 2010 20:06

tomk
71Tele

Michael is always very patient on the phone and lets me exhaust my latest supply of Beatles and Stones questions. But he doesn't use the "internets" or e-mail, so the conversations are few and far between.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: July 31, 2010 23:32

there were three takes videotaped. i think these are the three different versions. once it gets to the crowd joining in watch the girl in the white dress next to paul. in one she is sitting next to paul. in one she is standing and singing with the guy in the light blue suit behind paul to her right. and in one she has the guy in the light blue suit to her left trying to shove her out of the way when the crowd joins in. my guess is the sitting one is take one, the standing one is take two and the shoving one is take three.

Date: August 1, 2010 00:52

A fun, interesting article about one of the kids in the crowd.

[www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk]

Date: August 1, 2010 05:05

The Hey Jude clip (directed by Michael Lidsey-Hogg) was often imitated. The Monkees had a similar ending for their 33-1/3 Revolutions TV special in 1969, and when Donovan was a guest on the Smothers Brothers TV show (with Goerge Harrison doing a brief appearence), he sang Atlantis with the same crowd-type surroundings.
I've often wonder if director Steve Binder was influenced by the Hey Jude clip when he did the Elvis TV special in late 1968, Elvis singing those old songs with the crowd around him, etc...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home