Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith and Ron switching their parts - a made up story?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 3, 2010 21:16

Keith stated a thousand times he liked playing with Ronnie because it was like in the old times, exchanging their parts every night, I got the solo, you take this lick, next gig we do it the other way, blablabla

True is I have tried to check this on the same songs during different gigs of a same tour, and it never occurred to me they were changing their parts - playing each differently their part depending the gig, yes, but never switching - I don't see either any band doing this, too unpredictable –

So too me it is more BS for rock critics

Please post some videos to prove I am wrong

Re: Keith and Ron switching their parts - a made up story?
Date: October 3, 2010 21:20

Maybe, with the exception of Beast of Burden 1981?

In this one, they seem to have a free ride, yes

And maybe Midnight Rambler instrumental till the break

Not sure anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-03 21:21 by The Joker.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 3, 2010 21:24

I read the subject line quickly and thought it said "Keith and Ron switching their pants"...>grinning smiley<

Drew

Re: Keith and Ronnie
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 3, 2010 22:04

... sorry, but that sounds like a misunderstanding of what Keith and Ronnie have said.
they didn't mean "hey, you play the solo in Carol tonight and i'll play the solo in Tumbling Dice"
they mean they both move easily from rhythm to lead ~ cover for each other when necessary ~ their playing is very sympathique.

(oh and in case the idiom might be baffling: when guitarists talk about "trading licks"
that means "dialoging" with another guitarist, not "here, i'll play your lick and you play mine" )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-03 22:10 by with sssoul.

Date: October 3, 2010 22:46

Thanks, you made a point.

But I remember well some journalist quoting Keith saying something like "at some point, we did not know who was playing what" on certain songs, meaning that, according to the transcription of the journalist, some licks could be Keith's or Ronnie's depending the gig - don't say it is true, say it reads like that

As for "they mean they both move easily from rhythm to lead" - it is true speaking in general - not true for a particular song - if Keith has the lead on a particular song, he will got it forever

Date: October 3, 2010 22:59

>> "at some point, we did not know who was playing what" on certain songs <<

i know the quote you mean, and it doesn't imply "some licks could be Keith's or Ronnie's depending the gig" -
what they were talking about were moments when they were listening to playback in the studio (for example)
and didn't know who had played what - and it didn't matter. simpatico

>> it is true speaking in general - not true for a particular song <<

smile: i guess you didn't notice who took the solo in the youtube clip i posted?
that would pretty well illustrate the point Keith and Ronnie are making :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-03 23:18 by with sssoul.

Date: October 4, 2010 00:17

smile: i guess you didn't notice who took the solo in the youtube clip i posted?
that would pretty well illustrate the point Keith and Ronnie are making :E[/quote]

Keith's licks are outstanding, but Ron still has got the solo, like Mick T.

Date: October 4, 2010 00:45

See what you mean, Keith is taking the first part of the solo in this 1995 Amsterdam track

But this is not special, it is well rehearsed and it's how they playing it all time, even with a different groove

Richards passes the torch, Wood takes the lead at 2.15

Richards passes the torch, Wood takes the lead at 2.32
[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 4, 2010 01:18

Ronnie stated in an interview once that he recorded a solo, having fun when pretending to sound like Keith. Rumors say that the song was Where The Boys Go, but I don´t think so. Probably the studio version of She Was Hot.

Re: Keith and Ronnie
Date: October 4, 2010 10:00

>> and it's how they playing it all time <<

but ... the quote you read didn't mean "i'll play your part tonight and you play mine". really truly

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 4, 2010 15:02

Another perfect example if you ask me:

The quintessence, if you ask me, is not that they change their parts overnight, but that
during a song both guitar players change their role from lead to rythme and vice versa.

Date: October 4, 2010 17:48

drewmaster
I read the subject line quickly and thought it said "Keith and Ron switching their pants"...>grinning smiley<
Drew

...dito. smileys with beer

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 4, 2010 19:54

I don't beleive the myth that on some of the recordings, they don't know who's playing what. Even I can hear who's playing what.

I believe Ron could imitate Keiths "Berry" soloing quite down to the point (not all the other "styles"), but I don't think Keith could play a solo that would be mistaken as one of Ronnies.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 4, 2010 20:30

I don't think it's about mimicking each other and not knowing who's playing what. The Stones would often record several takes of a song, and then use little bits and pieces stiched together in the final track. And they'd use whichever part sounded best, either played by Wood or Richards. Of course, if song had a signature riff, that would probably be Richards in most cases.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 4, 2010 20:45

I guess both Keith and Ron lay down several guitar tracks which are edited together, but I don't believe there's any cross editing between Keiths and Rons guitarparts. And even if there's a little lick that's edited in, both sound and style reveals who's playing it.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: October 4, 2010 23:33

mercy - i'm sure they know the difference too.
but if you aren't familiar with the state of exhilarated teamwork they're talking about,
i'm sorry for you - i truly am :E

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 5, 2010 11:25

with sssoul
mercy - i'm sure they know the difference too.
but if you aren't familiar with the state of exhilarated teamwork they're talking about,
i'm sorry for you - i truly am :E

Quite so ;^)

Date: October 5, 2010 12:52

Seems I started a usless polemics here- take some inteviews to literally

Yes,Ronnie and Keith are interacting well and there is not such thing as a lead guitar versus a rythym guitar - both playing are interlaced

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 5, 2010 17:35

I think what they often mean is that they both like to make it up as they go along ...and that,fortunately, it usually works ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-05 17:40 by Spud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home