Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Help me about Elvis Costello
Posted by: fandesstones ()
Date: July 27, 2010 16:37

Hi guys, I'd like to know more about Elvis Costello but it looks like he has a massive discography... So how to start ? Which cds would you recommend me ??
Thanks a lot in advance !

Re: OT: Help me about Elvis Costello
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 27, 2010 17:01

Buy in the following order -

1. This Years Model
2. Armed Forces
3. My Aim is True

those three are all classics, then

4. Imperial Bedroom
5. Get Happy

then if you havent got your fill Blood and Chocolate and Almost Blue are OK.

There is the odd good song on nearly all his other records but a lot of the stuff in the last ten years is truly pitiful, half arsed classical music efforts and "projects" with Burt Bacharach and Sophie Otterface, rock n roll its not, the other essential Elvis record is the first Specials album which he produced.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 27, 2010 17:14

I'd rate the essential albums in this order:

This Years Model

Get Happy

My Aim Is True

Blood and Chocolate

Imperial Bedroom

Armed Forces

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 27, 2010 17:24

I would do Get Happy and Blood & Chocolate, then go for This Years Model, Imperial Bedroom and Armed Forces.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 27, 2010 17:26

North
Juliette letters
This years model

Thats enough for one year on the well-known lonely Island...

Date: July 27, 2010 18:03

Come On
North
Juliette letters
This years model

Thats enough for one year on the well-known lonely Island...

THE JULIET LETTERS?!

That's like advising someone to get into the Stones by starting with Satanic Majesties confused smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 27, 2010 18:39

didn't we just have this convo a couple weeks ago? i guess this is this week's convo....

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 27, 2010 22:10

fandesstones
Hi guys, I'd like to know more about Elvis Costello but it looks like he has a massive discography... So how to start ? Which cds would you recommend me ??
Thanks a lot in advance !

My favourites are ...

Blood & Chocolate
King of America
This Year's Model
Imperial Bedroom
Armed Forces
Get Happy
Goodbye Cruel World
Almost Blue
Brutal Youth

Posted by: fandesstones ()
Date: July 27, 2010 23:23

Well, thank you very much guys, I really appreciate your help and will start listening closer to him....
Thanks again !

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 27, 2010 23:40

loog droog

This Years Model

Get Happy

My Aim Is True

Blood and Chocolate

Trust

Imperial Bedroom

Armed Forces

I added one to my list. Trust me, on EC.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 27, 2010 23:48

loog droog
loog droog

This Years Model

Get Happy

My Aim Is True

Blood and Chocolate

Trust

Imperial Bedroom

Armed Forces

I added one to my list. Trust me, on EC.

yeah, I second Trust as one of his best. But my favorite is Armed Forces. I've never gotten as far as King of America.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 27, 2010 23:52

Get Happy
This Year's Model
King Of America

All top tunes on those ones.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 28, 2010 00:13

smileys with beerMate of mine said he was an Ace guy.One of the Costellos was living on a houseboat at Hampton Wick .Just over Kingston Bridge. His regular pub was the Kings Arms(I think that's the name)directly over the bridge towards Hampton.They did a gig there after just saying to the manager of the pub if they wanted some music tonight.Elvis and the lads performed for a couple of hours.No one knew about it on the night even though word got round in the first hour and it was big news on the local paper ,the Surrey Comet back in the '80's I recall. smileys with beer

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 00:18

Elvis has a massive amount of releases across many genres. Some people prefer his 'new wave' era (My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, Armed Forces), others his americana sound (King of America. Sweet Profane and Sugarcane)...he also has done jazz, classical (writing a classical work, but many years earlier doing an album called 'The Juliet Letters' with the Brodsky Quartet. He has done collaborations with Burt Bacharach and Allen Toussaint (with whom he put out an amazing album: The River In Reverse, post Katrina Hurricane...Toussaint is a classic New Orleans songwriter and musician who has had his songs covered by The Stones and The Who with Fortune Teller, Pointer Sisters and even Devo). He has also gone back an revisited earlier sounds in his career (Momfuku, from 2007 is like an extension of his first 3 albums, 20 years later).

He is definitely an artist who gets bored in one genre and moves around as he feels like doing. I applaud him for it, as most of it is done quite well, with the exception of a few albums in the 90s. Others just want to hear the early hits.

A good few to start with, that give you a pretty full range:

Armed Forces (which comes with severalk bonus tracks, including live versions of some songs from My Aim Is True)

King Of America

River In Reverse

And if you want to explore classical...Juliet Letters.

His voice is strong and somehow 'works' on this wide range of music. Some think of him as arrogant (which he supposedly was, early in his career when drinking too heavily). I have met him and found him to be very gracious, staying quite late after a show to make sure he talked to or signed items for whoever was waiting near his bus.

I have a couple of great bootlegs. If anyone wanted, I would gladly post.

Date: July 28, 2010 02:07

Get Happy is to Elvis Costello as Exile is to the Stones: Lots to absorb at first, murky sounds, American soul influence, and endless rewards for the patient listener.

I think it's not mentioned often enough that it was Elvis Costello & The Attractions in the "classic" period (except the first album). This band could play anything, from Stax soul to pure retro country. Nick Lowe also was a major part in the success of those records from the 70s and 80s. The greatest band I have ever seen live, and that includes the Stones on a good night and the E Street Band.

Elvis still tours with 2/3 of the Attractions, Pete Thomas on drums and the amazing Steve Nieve on keyboards. Bruce Thomas was replaced on bass some years ago by davey faragher from Cracker. Still miss Bruce's bass playing. heavily influenced by Paul McCartney. melodic, yet more edgy and dangerous.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:46

whatever one has 'I don't want to go to Chelsea' on it

I love that song. it might not even be on an album for all I know.

'my aim is true' is a great album

so is 'get happy'

I like 'Trust' too

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: July 28, 2010 03:52

You should also get Taking Liberties which is full of b-sides and a couple of unreleased songs.....

Date: July 28, 2010 04:23

stones77
whatever one has 'I don't want to go to Chelsea' on it

I love that song. it might not even be on an album for all I know.

'my aim is true' is a great album

so is 'get happy'

I like 'Trust' too

On the British "This Years Model" (but on the American "Taking Liberties").

"Trust" is his most underrated record. Lovely, elegant, pop.

All his classic records have been released an fantastic deluxe editions with outtakes, alternative takes, and notes by Elvis.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 28, 2010 04:53

it was brought to my attention just a couple of years ago what the meaning "my aim is true" was....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 04:53 by StonesTod.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 28, 2010 06:32

StonesTod
it was brought to my attention just a couple of years ago what the meaning "my aim is true" was....
And that is?

Just curious since it does happen to be my favorite Elvis album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 06:34 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 28, 2010 06:50

While I fully agree with those who recommend his first 4 of 5 albums, I advise you not to take heart to the criticisms of his latter output. In the last decade he has released, with the Imposters, some terrific records. "When I Was Cruel" was a decent comeback, but he really hit a new lyrical and musical stride with "The Delivery Man" and "Momofuku". Not to mention his album of weepy ballads "North". It's certainly not a perfect record, but it is beautifully produced and it features some classic tracks (Let Me Tell You About Her, I'm In the Mood Again).

Just start from the beginning and work your way on through. You'll find his songwriting, his style, and his knack for having choice musicians backing him very rewarding.

There is no such thing as a bad Elvis Costello album, though "Goodbye Cruel world" could be a consideration for the title. It's probably his Dirty Work.

Date: July 28, 2010 07:53

theimposter
While I fully agree with those who recommend his first 4 of 5 albums, I advise you not to take heart to the criticisms of his latter output. In the last decade he has released, with the Imposters, some terrific records. "When I Was Cruel" was a decent comeback, but he really hit a new lyrical and musical stride with "The Delivery Man" and "Momofuku". Not to mention his album of weepy ballads "North". It's certainly not a perfect record, but it is beautifully produced and it features some classic tracks (Let Me Tell You About Her, I'm In the Mood Again).

Just start from the beginning and work your way on through. You'll find his songwriting, his style, and his knack for having choice musicians backing him very rewarding.

There is no such thing as a bad Elvis Costello album, though "Goodbye Cruel world" could be a consideration for the title. It's probably his Dirty Work.

At least "Goodbye Cruel World" still had the playing of The Attractions, which can't be said for some of his later weak efforts. There were good songs on that record smothered in horrible mid-80s production (he surrendered production duties on that record in an attempt to have a "hit". Lots of sequencers and Yamaha DX7 synths - oh, the horror. )

His collaboration with Burt Bacharach "Painted From Memory" should also not be overlooked.

While it is true that there is no "bad" EC album, I do not agree that later efforts like "Momofuku" and "The Delivery Man" hold up, song-for-song against efforts like "Trust", "Get Happy" or "Imperial Bedroom", though there are fine moments on those records.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 07:55 by 71Tele.

Date: July 28, 2010 08:23

he's just sounded so comfortable since about Spike. There's no sense of danger or even risk. It's like even when he's playing rock music, it's not rock and roll.

Date: July 28, 2010 08:45

cc
he's just sounded so comfortable since about Spike. There's no sense of danger or even risk. It's like even when he's playing rock music, it's not rock and roll.

He is comfortable. Married to Diana Krall, twin sons, great career. he can play any kind of music he wants whenever he wants with whomever he wants. He wouldn't be comfortable? Those early records came at the price of such pain, mostly his guilt over his marriage and on again-off again intense affair with Bebe Buelle. (Plus some righteous young man anger). Take "I Want You" from Blood & Chocolate, for example. It is almost too painful to listen to the song, yet you can't turn away either. There is nothing like that on the last dozen records or so. I am sure he doesn't want to go to that place again emotionally in order to come up with those kinds of songs.

Date: July 28, 2010 08:51

This is a man stripped naked emotionally, with all his raw jealousy, hurt and rage showing. I can't think of anyone who has laid these kinds of emotions so bare in the field of popular music except for perhaps "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Leonard Cohen. Watch the Imposters respond to every nuance. Enjoy.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

&amp;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 08:52 by 71Tele.

Date: July 28, 2010 10:33

71Tele
cc

He is comfortable. Married to Diana Krall, twin sons, great career. he can play any kind of music he wants whenever he wants with whomever he wants. He wouldn't be comfortable? Those early records came at the price of such pain, mostly his guilt over his marriage and on again-off again intense affair with Bebe Buelle. (Plus some righteous young man anger). Take "I Want You" from Blood & Chocolate, for example. It is almost too painful to listen to the song, yet you can't turn away either. There is nothing like that on the last dozen records or so. I am sure he doesn't want to go to that place again emotionally in order to come up with those kinds of songs.

You've just defined my Costello dilemma perfectly. I was a big fan up to and including Blood & Chocolate - THE bitterest, angriest albums he ever released. I haven't liked anything since, give or take the odd song. When I Was Cruel was excellent, as was Kinder Murder.

Date: July 28, 2010 11:15

If I can recommend just one song with Elvis it will be 'Shipbuilding' feat. Chet Baker on trumpet. I have followed Elvis since 1977, and this day 28th of july 2010 I think 'North' is his number 1 album.

Date: July 28, 2010 15:04

Come On
If I can recommend just one song with Elvis it will be 'Shipbuilding' feat. Chet Baker on trumpet. I have followed Elvis since 1977, and this day 28th of july 2010 I think 'North' is his number 1 album.

It's a beauty, is Shipbuilding. Have you heard the Robert Wyatt version? Utterly haunting.

If you're into Chet Baker and haven't seen it, you might want to see the film Bruce Weber made about him, Let's Get Lost. There's a bit towards the end where he's singing Almost Blue in Cannes, trying to make himself heard above the dinner party chatter. Amazing moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 15:06 by Nikolai.

Date: July 28, 2010 16:35

If you're into Chet Baker and haven't seen it, you might want to see the film Bruce Weber made about him, Let's Get Lost. There's a bit towards the end where he's singing Almost Blue in Cannes, trying to make himself heard above the dinner party chatter. Amazing moment.[/quote]

Yeah, I saw it years ago on a VCR that someone owned (not me) but it would be nice to see it again. Thanks for the names of that work...

Date: July 28, 2010 16:38

71Tele

yeah, I know all that. I was just saying, per the thread, why I see no reason to listen to his music beyond the mid-80s. I'm happy for him, but other performers have better maintained their emotional sensibility--Graham Parker, who still gets compared to Elvis even now that the comparison is unflattering.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1645
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home