Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman still can play the bass
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 5, 2010 23:25

Re: Bill Wyman still can play the bass
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 5, 2010 23:28

Good old Perks, but what worries me is that with his age an all that, there is always the possibility he will get confused one day and walk on a stage with the metal detector rather than the bass guitar...and of course vice versa...lol

Date: September 5, 2010 23:29

cool smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2010 23:43

Fanks NICOS ... Good stuff...funny interview....

Go Bill ......English tea,pickles and scownes.....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 5, 2010 23:52

I'm sure Bill missed those rolling scones

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 6, 2010 00:02

crumbling_mice
Good old Perks, but what worries me is that with his age an all that, there is always the possibility he will get confused one day and walk on a stage with the metal detector rather than the bass guitar...and of course vice versa...lol

Mr. Cohl would find all the dropped coins on the stage before Bill and his metal detector.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 6, 2010 00:13

great thread thnx for link. heard Hey Hugh Get Off of McCloud on FM radio this morning and the Bill factor was really just pumping that thing up so fine.
and...i agree...u bet he can still play the bass. invented his own apprach imo, as a matter of fack!!

cool smiley

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 6, 2010 00:27

This American demands to know who the hell this Micki Free is.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 6, 2010 00:29

wyman still has IT.

Date: September 6, 2010 00:51

punkfloyd
This American demands to know who the hell this Micki Free is.

I don't,........... you can check him out here

[mickifree.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-08 23:56 by NICOS.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 6, 2010 00:54

Midnight Toker
wyman still has IT.

Absolutely, and the most important reason the Stones should consider him for some guest appearances on the Euro leg of the next tour!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 6, 2010 03:09

Love to see Bill back but it ain't gonna happen!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 6, 2010 05:36

I know this is hard to fathom for some, but Bill is the sticking point, not the Stones. He doesn't see them as Rock gods, like we do, but the gits he knew when they were nobodies, locked in a van together to some miserable gig, smelling each others farts and dirty socks. He doesn't need them. He doesn't need the money. They are equals to him and he chooses not to hang with them at this late date. He personally seems to be close to Charlie, but that's about it, except for yearly Christmas gifts. He moved on. Let's hope we all have the freedom to do what we want when we're bearing down on 74.

Date: September 6, 2010 06:08

24FPS
I know this is hard to fathom for some, but Bill is the sticking point, not the Stones. He doesn't see them as Rock gods, like we do, but the gits he knew when they were nobodies, locked in a van together to some miserable gig, smelling each others farts and dirty socks. He doesn't need them. He doesn't need the money. They are equals to him and he chooses not to hang with them at this late date. He personally seems to be close to Charlie, but that's about it, except for yearly Christmas gifts. He moved on. Let's hope we all have the freedom to do what we want when we're bearing down on 74.

totally agree. i think it was a personal accomplishment for him to finally get out.

that being said, bill IS out there enjoying sharing his gifts in a band playing for people, as is Charlie very steadily...and Bill has said he IS OPEN to a finale guest appearance...of some sort...so...i agree with ur analysis entirely but like the thread says he CAN still play that bass...with or without a guest appearance in the band in which he helped define the high point of rock and roll expression for all ages to come...imo

Date: September 6, 2010 07:56

Not only can he still play the bass at a high level, it sounds like all the years on his own have helped him branch out his style. The general Stones sound, of which he can claim his part, was probably kind of constrictive. And now that they've sort of settled into the same groove since he left, it would probably be even more so. I always seem to get the vibe that there was just unfortunate chemistry between him and Keith. They just didn't seem to hit it off. Bill appeared to have a good relationship with everyone in the band except Keith. The only praise I ever read in an interview was recently after Don Was brought up how amazed he was at Bill's playing on the resurrected Exile material. Keith said succintly that Bill had good 'timing'. Any other comment on Bill's playing from Keith that I've ever read has been as a team with Charlie.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: September 6, 2010 10:44

Richards on Wyman (Tom Wheeler. Guitar Player, April 1983):

Q: Does Bill Wyman get a lot of direction from you in that regard, or is that something he's always done on his own?

A: I would say in the late '60s, early '70s, Bill would be given more direction--not always the right direction [laughs]--but Mick and I would be more inclined to say, "Do this and that." Sometimes he comes and asks, but less and less. You know, relationships change. But Bill, he's kind of like Charlie. He just keeps [long pause] amazing me. He just keeps getting better. He's not always what I'm expecting. I know he's good, and he's always there. But I kind of take his playing for granted. And then when I listen to what he's doing, I realize he's not always playing the same thing. He's much better than we think. You see, we're the worlds worst Rolling Stones critics [laughs]. We tear the shit apart before anybody gets a chance to hear it.

Date: September 6, 2010 20:00

Thank you. 'Amazing' how you can stand next to musicians and make world shattering music and not 'hear' what the rest of the world hears.

Date: September 8, 2010 04:42

Beelyboy
24FPS

totally agree. i think it was a personal accomplishment for him to finally get out.

that being said, bill IS out there enjoying sharing his gifts in a band playing for people, as is Charlie very steadily...and Bill has said he IS OPEN to a finale guest appearance...of some sort...so...i agree with ur analysis entirely but like the thread says he CAN still play that bass...with or without a guest appearance in the band in which he helped define the high point of rock and roll expression for all ages to come...imo

I firmly believe we will one day see both Bill and Mick Taylor on stage with the rest of the Stones for at least one final concert together. You can almost feel the pieces all slowly coming together. It will be one magical night, second only to John Lennon and George Harrison returning from the grave to play one final concert with Paul and Ringo.

Date: September 8, 2010 19:03

thats almost funny stonescrow. seeing ringo and george play together at bengla desh concert was one of the highlights of my life. paul had a big happy birthday and a non-playing moment w ringo recently i've heard. peeps like that kinda stuff. i do anyway. also with the stones. considering charlie is IN SHAPE and playing out ALL THE TIME and same for the young mr. perks...unlike the other rollingstones past or present (honorable mention to ron wood for faces reunion and mini mention for mcglagen as former stone sideman and a Magnificent one)

like mick and keith who are not so busy playing steadily as far as we know. at least not live where u have to give it up all the time and are in good tour shape, good playing shape...come to think of it mick taylor is playing out pretty steadily too. just in case there is one of those shmatlzy all emo kinda soppy get-togethers like ur ridiculing...and i've done too probably at some point...but just in case these guys get organized and maybe even rehearsed?
watch out. yeh a great chance it would be slop IF someone didn't kinda manage the stage action a little (aside from jagger at front) ..but come on peeepple watch out that's bill wyman and charlie watts playing TOGETHER we're talking about. that
is
simply
history
. a
and yes
it matters
bigtime
to
me. and suckers
like me.
beyond the hype. and the emo warm family reunion projections of emotions and memories. beyond that.
charlie and bill could just show up by themselves without ANYbody else there, and i'd dance all night. word.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 8, 2010 19:46

Charlie: '5,000 years of culture'

LOVE ITcool smiley

Date: September 8, 2010 20:01

Beelyboy
thats almost funny stonescrow. seeing ringo and george play together at bengla desh concert was one of the highlights of my life. paul had a big happy birthday and a non-playing moment w ringo recently i've heard. peeps like that kinda stuff. i do anyway. also with the stones. considering charlie is IN SHAPE and playing out ALL THE TIME and same for the young mr. perks...unlike the other rollingstones past or present (honorable mention to ron wood for faces reunion and mini mention for mcglagen as former stone sideman and a Magnificent one)

like mick and keith who are not so busy playing steadily as far as we know. at least not live where u have to give it up all the time and are in good tour shape, good playing shape...come to think of it mick taylor is playing out pretty steadily too. just in case there is one of those shmatlzy all emo kinda soppy get-togethers like ur ridiculing...and i've done too probably at some point...but just in case these guys get organized and maybe even rehearsed?
watch out. yeh a great chance it would be slop IF someone didn't kinda manage the stage action a little (aside from jagger at front) ..but come on peeepple watch out that's bill wyman and charlie watts playing TOGETHER we're talking about. that
is
simply
history
. a
and yes
it matters
bigtime
to
me. and suckers
like me.
beyond the hype. and the emo warm family reunion projections of emotions and memories. beyond that.
charlie and bill could just show up by themselves without ANYbody else there, and i'd dance all night. word.

Beelyboy,

No ridicule intended. I am a huge nostalgia freak myself and was one hundred percent serious when I said they will one day perform at least one final concert together. My point about comparing a Stones reunion with George and John returning from their graves to play one final concert with Paul and Ringo was just to illustrate how big it is going to be when Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman re-join the band for one final concert. It's going to happen, just not sure exactly when and where. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Date: September 8, 2010 20:46

oh not at all. thank you. i've seen so much rock history but i am sorry to have never seen the stones before 1972 and to never see the the Kinks, one of my very topermost faves. ! confused smiley ; no chance i ever will now. same with beatles but i did see george REALLY go for it with Ringo on drums and it was a gift in my life. i saw my other faves quite a lot; early zep pre and post tommy who etc...lottsa stuff but i have special kinda sad nostalgia for some classic classic acts i'll never see gone to history. elvis another big one. perhaps the biggest disappointment personally...i never got to be in the same room with the big E.

and sik of the hype as i'll be if they pull it off, the reunion of these original stones together for a last hurrah (hopefully) along with late-comers mick taylor and ron; well, it IS something for history. and it's kinda hugely personal emotional thing for me i guess i have to admit after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-08 20:48 by Beelyboy.

Date: September 8, 2010 21:17

Unlike George and John, it's doubtful the average Stones concertgoer knows who Bill or Mick T. are. Ron is the only 2nd guitarist they've known for 35 years, Darryl the only bassist for almost 20. Adding Bill or Mick T. in any capacity is a treat only for the hard core. And if Brian showed up and did a star turn on his 'I Wanna Be Your Man' slide solo, well, that would be quite a night.

Date: September 9, 2010 04:00

Beelyboy
oh not at all. thank you. i've seen so much rock history but i am sorry to have never seen the stones before 1972 and to never see the the Kinks, one of my very topermost faves. ! confused smiley ; no chance i ever will now. same with beatles but i did see george REALLY go for it with Ringo on drums and it was a gift in my life. i saw my other faves quite a lot; early zep pre and post tommy who etc...lottsa stuff but i have special kinda sad nostalgia for some classic classic acts i'll never see gone to history. elvis another big one. perhaps the biggest disappointment personally...i never got to be in the same room with the big E.

and sik of the hype as i'll be if they pull it off, the reunion of these original stones together for a last hurrah (hopefully) along with late-comers mick taylor and ron; well, it IS something for history. and it's kinda hugely personal emotional thing for me i guess i have to admit after all.

I was lucky, I was eight years old when the sixties began and was nineteen when they ended. I remember the summer of 1962 like it was yesterday. Probably was towing my wooden model hydroplane behind my Schwinn on the day the Stones played their first official gig on July 12 that year.

Date: September 10, 2010 03:58

24FPS
Unlike George and John, it's doubtful the average Stones concertgoer knows who Bill or Mick T. are. Ron is the only 2nd guitarist they've known for 35 years, Darryl the only bassist for almost 20. Adding Bill or Mick T. in any capacity is a treat only for the hard core. And if Brian showed up and did a star turn on his 'I Wanna Be Your Man' slide solo, well, that would be quite a night.

Forgive me for the hyperbole!

Date: September 10, 2010 05:16

'Forgive me for the hyperbole!' - You are forgiven. And if Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, and Stu sit down at the piano bench for few numbers, all the better. : )

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: September 10, 2010 17:25

stonescrow
Beelyboy

I was lucky, I was eight years old when the sixties began and was nineteen when they ended. I remember the summer of 1962 like it was yesterday. Probably was towing my wooden model hydroplane behind my Schwinn on the day the Stones played their first official gig on July 12 that year.

Ah yes, July 12, 1962. Sitting in the high chair, flinging spaghetti across the room, yearning for the next shot of milk. Getting my hair buzzed by those electric clippers that got real loud the closer they got to your ears, forever traumatizing me against haircuts in general. Those were the days when you used to get haircuts whether you liked it or not. Ah yes, then there were the times I would look out the window at the bigger kids, yearning to ride a tricycle myself, only to later steal everyone's bike in the cul-de-sac and put them in a row in front of our rowhouse. Rides in the '61 Valiant with the push-button dashboard, going to the grocery store and riding in the cart. Hoping we would stop by the bank so I could get a lollipop. I remember it well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1315
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home