Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tools of the Tumbling Dice sound
Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: September 2, 2010 19:23

Does anyone here know the specs behind the Keith's rhythm guitar on Tumbling Dice? Every time I listen to it, it just blows me away every time. It's luscious and smooth, but with such a warm punch.

What guitar did he use, amp, effects etc?

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Re: Tools of the Tumbling Dice sound
Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 2, 2010 20:28

there are at least 3 different guitars on the track... I've also seen jagger credited with playing on it.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 2, 2010 20:34

yorkey
Does anyone here know the specs behind the Keith's rhythm guitar on Tumbling Dice? Every time I listen to it, it just blows me away every time. It's luscious and smooth, but with such a warm punch.

Agree with this. Together with Gimme Shelter, those 2 are to me the most "Keith" guitar sound. Whoelse could have produce such a sound...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 3, 2010 01:25

Ahhhh...That Tumbling Dice guitar sound....

It's impossible to tell really. Pics and tales indicate a Tele through some sort of Ampeg. But, it's the same sound as All Down the Line, which is more of a Tele/P90 through a HiWatt. Or a LP Custom through a Fender Twin or Deluxe....

Really, 70% of the sound is the room, mikes and board they used, so it just is impossible to say.

Mathijs

Date: September 3, 2010 10:42

He also did a second overdub, coming in towards the ending. That one sounds different, much cleaner. Different amp?

Date: September 3, 2010 11:13

yorkey

What guitar did he use, amp, effects etc?

I wasn't Keith who played on that tune; it was Blondie.

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 3, 2010 12:57

I think he's using the neck pickup on a Telecaster for the intro guitar...I've managed to get a similar sound with my tele using the neck pickup

Date: September 3, 2010 14:14

WeLoveYou
I think he's using the neck pickup on a Telecaster for the intro guitar...I've managed to get a similar sound with my tele using the neck pickup

Keith didn't get the neck humbucker until early June 1972, and the sound sure isn't that of the single coil neck pickup of a Tele.

Mathijs

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 3, 2010 14:37

Mathijs
WeLoveYou

Keith didn't get the neck humbucker until early June 1972, and the sound sure isn't that of the single coil neck pickup of a Tele.

Mathijs

No, I believe it was a single coil neck pickup on his tele that he used. My tele single coil neck pickup gives a similar tone.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 3, 2010 14:57

I've always held the Les Paul to be the default assumption where it's not obviously a Tele or a semi hollow body.
Folks often forget that those old PAF pickups aren't the thick muddy things typically offered up today.
They have a nice "airy" clarity if dialled back a bit...and Keith has always appreciated how using the guitar's volume controls can really alter the character of the sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-03 15:03 by Spud.

Date: September 3, 2010 15:38

Spud
I've always held the Les Paul to be the default assumption where it's not obviously a Tele or a semi hollow body.
Folks often forget that those old PAF pickups aren't the thick muddy things typically offered up today.
They have a nice "airy" clarity if dialled back a bit...and Keith has always appreciated how using the guitar's volume controls can really alter the character of the sound.

A good Tele bridge pickup can have more output than a PAF as well. It really can be both guitars to my ears.

If we assume the rythm guitar part was recorded in Nelcotte and we look at the guitars we know for sure where there, the only guitars to be strung in open G where the '53 Tele and one Ampeg Dan Armstrong. It does not sound like the Armstrong too much, and it does have that 'ring' to it that typically Tele. But then again, the overdrive of the amp is so smooth it really is difficult to tell.

But if I where to put money on it I would say '53 Tele (bridge pickup) and Ampeg amp.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-04 00:59 by Mathijs.

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: September 3, 2010 22:34

Thanks Mathijs! I really wish we knew for sure though...

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 3, 2010 23:12

What guitar part did Jagger do on TD? I have always had trouible picking it out.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 4, 2010 02:30

yorkey
Thanks Mathijs! I really wish we knew for sure though...

Yeah, but probably it's just the room - and the magic of the moment.
I know some guys are crazy about all those technical details.

But we had some great drum or guitar sounds, - some of them you can't really replicate even although we knew all those instruments.
It's been the spirit. Those magic body moves . .f$%& the Gretsch ! lol

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 4, 2010 03:11

71Tele
What guitar part did Jagger do on TD? I have always had trouible picking it out.

could he be the opening guitar, sweet tone and all?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 4, 2010 03:27

cc
71Tele

could he be the opening guitar, sweet tone and all?

The greatest guitar tone in the history of the Stones, imo, along with Brown Sugar and HTW. But methinks that can only be Keith on the intro.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home