Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Famous Stones landmarks - a tear in my eye
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 20, 2010 20:18

[www.makingtime.co.uk]

<<< In February 1963, the Rolling Stones played their first gig at the Crawdaddy Club, at the Station Hotel Richmond for a fee of £1 each, plus a share of the door. Within a couple of months they became so popular the small hall was bursting at the seams and overflowing onto the street. The Crawdaddy (a condemned building) was forced to move to a larger venue, the Richmond Athletic Ground. By April 1963, the Stones had two gigs a week at the Crawdaddy and a weekly slot on Eel Pie Island. During this time, The Stones scored their first chart hit, Come On. >>>

I live in SW London today and will probably live out the rest of my life in SW London, and I use Richmond station a lot. Regrettably I was too young to have known what was going on in those salubrious premises in those formative years of the band ... I was 8 in 1963. I often look across the road at the place when I come out of Richmond station and imagine ........................ ????

Well at least the place still stands, so many others have gone. No more Astoria at the junction of Oxford St/Charing cross road, and no doubt countless others up and down the country have gone the same way.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: Famous Stones landmarks - a tear in my eye
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 20, 2010 22:45

Yeah - after the O2 concerts in 2007 I came home via Richmond - down the alley past the former Station Hotel to the car park - strangely moving.

I was 13 in 1963 - not too young to know what was going on but too young to be allowed to go, in those stricter days.

Date: August 20, 2010 22:53

Green Lady
Yeah - after the O2 concerts in 2007 I came home via Richmond - down the alley past the former Station Hotel to the car park - strangely moving.

I was 13 in 1963 - not too young to know what was going on but too young to be allowed to go, in those stricter days.

I'm orignally from Ealing, and used to eat my school lunches sometimes in an ABC cafe right opposite Ealing Broadway station; and RIGHT next to that very very famous little venue down those few steps there .... where all those years ago Alexis Korner played, and a certain M Jagger/K Richard/B Jones used to travel to see him ....

S**t, we're gettin' all stupidly nostaligic now .........

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 21, 2010 04:24

Have they decided what to do with Olympic Studios ?

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 21, 2010 04:26

paulywaul
Green Lady

I'm orignally from Ealing, and used to eat my school lunches sometimes in an ABC cafe right opposite Ealing Broadway station; and RIGHT next to that very very famous little venue down those few steps there .... where all those years ago Alexis Korner played, and a certain M Jagger/K Richard/B Jones used to travel to see him ....

Paulywaul, you must know where Inglis Road is, then. That's where I stayed on my first visit to London, the day Canary Wharf was bombed in 1996.

Date: August 21, 2010 07:30

HEILOOBAAS
paulywaul
Green Lady

Paulywaul, you must know where Inglis Road is, then. That's where I stayed on my first visit to London, the day Canary Wharf was bombed in 1996.

Sure do, right off the bottom of Hangar Lane just north of Ealing Common. The family home was in Fordhook Aveneue, a "U" shaped road off the Uxbridge Road opposite Ealing Common tube station. Small world huh ?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 21, 2010 11:38

I also felt the presence of the history when I walked up from Richmond Station, and looked at the ex-Richmond Hotel site across the street. Then walked to Twickenham to see The Stones... Remember Jagger mentioning that they used to play regularly quite near here, and asked if there is anyone in the audience attending the gigs already then. Not many hands were seen to arise but Mick quickly replied "Don't worry. The set list is still the same".

Are here any people who actually attented the early Richmond gigs? It would be nice to hear recollections.

- Doxa

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 21, 2010 18:39

I once met an English GP - retired - who actually used to hang out with them in 62, 63. It was in Munich 2003, and he'd seen them around 1000 times!

Date: August 21, 2010 18:40

Addicted
I once met an English GP - retired - who actually used to hang out with them in 62, 63. It was in Munich 2003, and he'd seen them around 1000 times!

Jeez, doubt if even BV can compete with that ? 1000 times ? Lucky bastard !

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 21, 2010 19:03

A Photo i took a couple of saturdays ago. My home town,
and i'm proud of it's musical heritage.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 19:06

after the last concert in London 2007 we drove by bus from our hostel to victoria station, from where we got to the airport. while i was looking out of the window, i saw the street sign EDITH GROVE.....that was a magical moment.

Date: August 21, 2010 19:24

Adrian-L
A Photo i took a couple of saturdays ago. My home town,
and i'm proud of it's musical heritage.

Yep, know the plaque, and there's Ronnie and his late brother Art. Man what a voice that Art Wood had, the first time I saw him at the old Cabbage Patch I nearly fell over, simply couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 21, 2010 20:39

yea'..Theres not many places in London ya' cant help but think of The Rolling Stones.Theres all the Buildings..the Streets and Suburbs.I used to live just off the Kings Rd.Chelsea for a while that whole area of S.London is certainly my favourite for a Stones landmark.Chelsea has got The Rolling Stones written all over it.smoking smiley

Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: August 24, 2010 15:22

hockenheim95
after the last concert in London 2007 we drove by bus from our hostel to victoria station, from where we got to the airport. while i was looking out of the window, i saw the street sign EDITH GROVE.....that was a magical moment.

Tell me about, it in 2007 I went with a buddy to see all the venues in London and when walked into Edith Grove we checked for 102 (if I am correct) the place they hanged out in the past. From a distance I noticed a sign telling me it was free for rent.

Me and my buddy quickly walked toward 102......but it was 101 for rent, what a bummer. Otherwise I would certainly got an appointment to see what it looked like...

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1391
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home