Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Were the Rolling Stones an influence for Creedence Clearwater Revival?
Posted by: brandanman2 ()
Date: July 19, 2010 21:57

I know the Beatles were an influence for Creedence Clearwater Revival, because of the rockabilly style in some of their songs (listen to "Looking for a reason" sometime, it somewhat seems like a slower version of "Act naturally"), but did the Rolling Stones influence Creedence Clearwater Revival?

I think there are some obvious ones. "I can't get no satisfaction" influenced either "Up around the bend" or "Commotion", "Get off of my cloud" might have influenced "Green River", the intros of "Down on the corner" and "Fortunate Son" sound vaguely similar to "Honky tonk women" (the cowbell) and "Jumping Jack Flash" (the guitar licks) respectively, and definitely "Bad moon rising", which is vaguely similar to "Paint it black" musical style, but the lyrics are very similar. However, are there any definite influences? I know for sure Creedence Clearwater Revival did not rip-off the Rolling Stones, and definitely the same the other way around, but since they are two of my most favorite bands of all-time, I would like to see if there was any influence, since they are two of the most popular rock bands of all-time.

Re: Were the Rolling Stones an influence for Creedence Clearwater Revival?
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 19, 2010 22:00

Of course. But I think it's Chuck Berry more than anyone.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 19, 2010 22:04

all music influences all music

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 19, 2010 22:20

StonesTod
all music influences all music

Is Justin Bieber free to quote you?

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 19, 2010 22:26

I don't think the Stones liked CCR all that much .. Mick said that their music was too simple and basic.

Obviously, Suzie Q was based on a Stones song .

Date: July 19, 2010 22:31

mitchflorida

ex-suzie-q me?

Date: July 19, 2010 22:52

mitchflorida
I don't think the Stones liked CCR all that much .. Mick said that their music was too simple and basic.

No "Suzie Q" was based on a song by Dale Hawkins, and I am sorry, I have a very hard time believing Mick Jagger said that, after all he was very influenced by blues, and seriously, I think that sort of music is very simple and basic. I am sorry, but I do.

I also know what information the all-music has, but I am just asking. Weird, no one answered my question at all.

I am also asking if the Rolling Stones influenced Creedence Clearwater Revival not the other way around, take a look at the first message in this thread, you will see what I mean.

Date: July 19, 2010 22:56

the stones influenced all pop-rock acts that followed them. phil lesh said they had a big influence on the dead, even if that's not intuitively obvious. music is in the air and you can't help but be influenced by what you hear....the way it's always been and always will be.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:05

I don't think so-I don't hear anything that resembles the Stones in the songs, lyrics or playing. And I doubt Mick stated anything negative towards CCR.
We know Ike & Tina covered CCR in '69 and probably a year earlier.

CCR is America's second best band right after the Allman Brothers Band.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:14

mitchflorida

Bill Wyman was a fan...i remember reading a quote by him saying if he wasnt in the Stones, CCR would be a band he'd like to be in

Date: July 19, 2010 23:26

Rollin' Stoner
mitchflorida

Bill Wyman was a fan...i remember reading a quote by him saying if he wasnt in the Stones, CCR would be a band he'd like to be in

I can believe that. But Mick's quote about CCR was around 1972 or so, and the Stones were going far afield from trad rhythm and blues, which CCR really never left.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:42

CCR where a phenomenon that didn't need the Stones for inspiration imo.. Great band those days.
Te Dutch "Cats" so to speak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-20 11:51 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:53

Not really.(Apart from StonesTods' wisdom).

Forgerty wasn't a Stonesfan. He didn't really like them. But of course there are musical overlaps in their roots.

But it's well known that Brian loved them (Proud Mary),
and Keith said in a early interview that he liked them when first hearing them but then soon got kinda bored . .

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 01:06

creedence was one of the first bands to ditch the psychedelic rock and go back to a more traditional rock sound and i would bet every member of the stones has at least 1 ccr album in their collection. i've read that bill wyman ronnie wood brian jones and keith richards are/were fans

Date: July 20, 2010 01:15

I always thought that CCR's drummer and maybe bass player held back the group. The drumming is very pedestrian, and made the songs sound similar to each other.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 01:20

mitchflorida
I always thought that CCR's drummer and maybe bass player held back the group. The drumming is very pedestrian, and made the songs sound similar to each other.
john fogerty was a control freak and the band had to play exactly the way he wanted. don't get me wrong i am a big fogerty fan.

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: July 20, 2010 01:22

I have always been nagged by a similarity between CCR's "Down on the Corner" and the 1969 live versions of "Sympathy for the Devil".

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 20, 2010 01:26

I think some of licks from John where influenced by the Stones.

But were the Stones influenced by CCR? Dead Flowers has some CCR sound the same goes for Traveling Man

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: July 20, 2010 01:34

mitchflorida

oh how your arrogance shines through. you incorrectly say suzie Q was based on a Stones song and you just had to include "obviously" because you're a professor of music, obviously.
also, if what mick said is true, that's a pretty stupid thing to say. Stones music is rather simple and basic. There aren't many times where i mistake a Frank Zappa tune or something by The Mahavishnu Orchestra as being the Stones.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:23

I remember reading something about Alexis Koerner saying Brian Jones wanted to go for a post-Stones band sound along the lines of CCR

I don't think the Stones influenced CCR much

but I am guessing people like Screamin Jay Hawkins, Carl Perkins, Arthur Crudup, Booker T and the MGs, John Lee Hooker, Little Richard, Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers, the Sun sessions... all did

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:27

2 of the greatest bands ever - maybe THE 2 greatest ever.

Beatles are pretty damn good too. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-20 02:27 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:31

ghostryder13
mitchflorida
john fogerty was a control freak and the band had to play exactly the way he wanted. don't get me wrong i am a big fogerty fan.

Yes, he was, and a good thing too, or those records would not have sounded nearly as good. For proof listen to Mardi Gras, the album where they rebelled against Fogerty and the others wrote songs. Dreadful. After that experiment they begged Fogerty to be a control freak again. Point proven.

Posted by: mrgrowl791 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:17

stones77
I remember reading something about Alexis Koerner saying Brian Jones wanted to go for a post-Stones band sound along the lines of CCR

I don't think the Stones influenced CCR much

but I am guessing people like Screamin Jay Hawkins, Carl Perkins, Arthur Crudup, Booker T and the MGs, John Lee Hooker, Little Richard, Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers, the Sun sessions... all did

Jimmie Rodgers is The Man!!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:47

I remember my reaction to Gimme Shelter after first becoming familiar with it was that after the intro it was like CCR's run through the Jungle, but even Grittier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-20 03:47 by ryanpow.

Date: July 20, 2010 03:48

I never listened to "Dead flowers" or "Traveling man", but it is quite possible Creedence Clearwater Revival influenced the Rolling Stones, since the Rolling Stones did some rockabilly, too. "Beast of burden" also sounds a little bit like "Lodi", somewhat, but the Rolling Stones definitely influenced Creedence Clearwater Revival ("I can't get no satisfaction" and "Up around the bend" sound similar, and "Paint it black" and "Bad moon rising" are very similar in lyrics, and vaguely music). I also showed CCR and the Stones to one of my friends, and they thought the Rolling Stones performed "Down on the corner" and Creedence Clearwater Revival performed "I can't get no satisfaction", they probably did not listen to them that much, but that is definitely evidence for influence.

John Fogerty was also a Mick Jagger fan. He tells us that in the book, "Up around the bend: the oral history of Creedence Clearwater Revival."

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 20, 2010 04:17

brandanman2
I know the Beatles were an influence for Creedence Clearwater Revival, because of the rockabilly style in some of their songs (listen to "Looking for a reason" sometime, it somewhat seems like a slower version of "Act naturally"), but did the Rolling Stones influence Creedence Clearwater Revival?

I was going to say the opposite of what you thought.
CCR influence for the Stones.
I imagined Brown Sugar was the answer song of Proud Mary.
Both are the song for a hard luck woman.grinning smiley

Cleaned a lot of plates in Memphis
Pumped a lot of pain down in New Orleans
But I never saw the good side of the city
'Til I hitched a ride on a river boat queen

Big wheel keep on turnin'
Proud Mary keep on burnin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river
Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
sold in a market down in New Orleans
scarred old slaver knows he's doing alright
hear him whip the women, just around midnight

Brown Sugar how come you taste so good?
Brown Sugar just like a young girl should

Date: July 20, 2010 04:24

Travelling Band reminds me of Rip This Joint, but I don't know which one came out first. The Stones at that time were miles ahead of CCR in their musicianship.

I read in wiki that CCR was sued for Travelling Band by the publisher of Good Golly Miss Molly. It never stops.

Jagger-Richards has almost a perfect record in terms of not taking other people's copyright songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-20 04:29 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: July 20, 2010 08:13

John Fogerty The Night Time Is The Right Time Live Los Angeles 2009

The Rolling Stones - Night Time Is The Right Time

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 20, 2010 08:41

brandanman2
I never listened to "Dead flowers" or "Traveling man", but it is quite possible Creedence Clearwater Revival influenced the Rolling Stones, since the Rolling Stones did some rockabilly, too. "Beast of burden" also sounds a little bit like "Lodi", somewhat, but the Rolling Stones definitely influenced Creedence Clearwater Revival ("I can't get no satisfaction" and "Up around the bend" sound similar, and "Paint it black" and "Bad moon rising" are very similar in lyrics, and vaguely music). I also showed CCR and the Stones to one of my friends, and they thought the Rolling Stones performed "Down on the corner" and Creedence Clearwater Revival performed "I can't get no satisfaction", they probably did not listen to them that much, but that is definitely evidence for influence.

John Fogerty was also a Mick Jagger fan. He tells us that in the book, "Up around the bend: the oral history of Creedence Clearwater Revival."

I think you're working from too narrow a definition of "influence." How could CCR not have been influenced by the Stones, one of the top rock groups for 5 years by the time CCR cut their first record? Going track by track is missing the point.

and you could use some more well-informed friends...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 20, 2010 08:50

Not at all! Fogerty is all about southern American music. I saw his Stockholm concert a couple a weeks ago and he is still hearing it through the grapewine..I think it was at great performance..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home