Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Biggest Mistake (Instrumental) & other rare takes...
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 14, 2010 14:28

Nice! I hear a lot of guitar in there I've never heard before.

Nice punch to this!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-14 14:31 by Marhsall.

Re: Biggest Mistake (Instrumental) & other rare takes...
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 14, 2010 14:39

That instrumental version of Biggest Mistake is a lot more soulful than the one on the album.

Drew

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 14, 2010 17:12

Still have never heard the 'Meanwhile back in the jungle' version of Too Much Blood.

Posted by: genco ()
Date: August 14, 2010 19:22

very nice instrumental bigger mistake
..where you got this one .
bootleg name ?
many thanks

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 14, 2010 20:26

BM is a perplexing song for me. A lot of people that are generally less critical of the band than I seem to hate the song, but to some extent I find the song interesting. Early in the song Jagger makes a startling admission. He f*s with people in relationships. I find that statement interesting because people who write about the band and its members over the years have said as much at various times. Is Jagger being truthful? Candid? Revealing? Is he being introspective about himself? Is he looking back at the younger man he once was? How does he feel about that now? But the song does not go there. Instead it turns into a caricature of "poor me sitting on the couch." The song becomes a parody. He does not have the desire or talent or courage in his songwriting to go beyond the superficial.

Musically, it is a nice strum along with touches, but the song cries out for some tasteful lead guitar. It does not have to be much, just enough to complete the musical picture. The song for me is a could have been.

I feel the same way about Following The River. What an evocative title! How can you not think of the possibilities? In America the river is the Mississippi. Following it is going south. Going south is to travel to the birthplace of the blues and therefore RnR. It can be the path of life. It can be fate. And for a lifelong musician who has made a living from his love of that music it all makes sense. The image simply resonants meaning and possibilities. But what do you get with the song? Again, Jagger's words do not grasp the possibilities. When I first heard that song I thought "Wow! What a waste of a title!"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 14, 2010 20:38

pmk251
BM is a perplexing song for me. A lot of people that are generally less critical of the band than I seem to hate the song, but to some extent I find the song interesting. Early in the song Jagger makes a startling admission. He f*s with people in relationships. I find that statement interesting because people who write about the band and its members over the years have said as much at various times. Is Jagger being truthful? Candid? Revealing? Is he being introspective about himself? Is he looking back at the younger man he once was? How does he feel about that now? But the song does not go there. Instead it turns into a caricature of "poor me sitting on the couch." The song becomes a parody. He does not have the desire or talent or courage in his songwriting to go beyond the superficial.

Musically, it is a nice strum along with touches, but the song cries out for some tasteful lead guitar. It does not have to be much, just enough to complete the musical picture. The song for me is a could have been.

I get the impression the song is a leftover from 'Alfie'. There are a few other ABB songs that are in that category (Laugh I Nearly Died definitely is, and probably 'Streets of Love'). The lyrics would fit in with the more mature side the character develops as he gets older and wiser

The world-weary, reflective tone of the song is quite un-Jagger like, but its actually good to see a man in his 60's writing more 'mature' songs (and is a pleasant alternative to embarrassing juvenile guff like 'Oh no, Not You Again')

Very good song. One of the best 3 or 4 tracks on ABB for me.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 14, 2010 20:46

"The world-weary, reflective tone of the song is quite un-Jagger like, but its actually good to see a man in his 60's writing more 'mature' songs (and is a pleasant alternative to embarrassing juvenile guff like 'Oh no, Not You Again') "

The lyrics of that song are, well, they degrade the song, imho

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 14, 2010 22:35

Hearing the instrumental version posted here makes me think that Jagger's production and vocals ruined what had the potential to be a soulful, bluesy track.

The intro to the album version is especially awful, IMO ... sounds like so much of Jagger's solo pop dreck.

Drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-14 22:37 by drewmaster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home