Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chuck Berry Live Recordings
Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: July 18, 2010 22:03

Hey! What are some good Chuck Berry Live albums, I have Hail Hail Rock 'N' Roll, London 1972, Live In Toronto, and a soundboard from 2002, are there any other good ones in good quality....thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-18 22:04 by CrazyDadda.

Re: Chuck Berry Live Recordings
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 18, 2010 22:47

There's the classic boot, LIve at the Roxy from the 80's...pretty great renditions...around the same time of "Hail Hail!"

Picked up this one a while back...didn't jump out at me too much though: London 1983

[www.amazon.com]

Live at the FIllmore is more like a live blues album

Wonder if CBII has any suggestions of his own? Would be cool to hear! What would be even doubly cooler is if there could be an official "Live Chuck" box set from over the years. That sure as hell would be a nice listen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-18 22:50 by Justin.

Date: July 19, 2010 01:19

The best live album i know is a bootleg called Six Two Five, Cuuck at is top with a very good band (London 1972, from a BBC Recording).

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 19, 2010 02:59

some of my fave latter era berry shows:

seattle - 9.1.80 (a buddy of mine got a copy of this one to keith years ago)
italy - july, 83
chicago - 6.6.86 (keith guests)
ritz, nyc - 2.21.82 (ronnie guests)
ronnie & chuck - 6.25.86
palladium, nyc - 12.31.88
amsterdam, 1.20.73
opening for the grateful dead, portland meadows - 2 shows, may 1995 (last time i saw jerry or chuck)

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: July 19, 2010 11:28

I second the 'Fillmore Auditorium' suggestion.
Loads of 'blues', but well balanced. Vintage Chuck Berry, in a bit of a psychedelic atmosphere...

I'm a HUGE Chuck Berry fan, but I can't really be bothered with his live recordings to be honest... He's areal sadist/ masochist, always f*ckin' up his tunes the way he does... Still: gotta love the man.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 19, 2010 11:48

I recorded him at the Alexandra Palace Jazz festival in north London, in summer 1979 but the recording is still on cassette and I haven't got round to transferring it yet.

I had a backstage pass for the show as I was working a journalist for a local paper and remember seeing Chuck relaxing in the driver's seat of a gold Mercedes in the load-in area. I got a few shots too as I took pix at the gig. But I was warned off from approaching him by security.

The event was put on by George Wein who ran the Newport Jazz festvals and ran for two days. I got to meet Muddy Waters and Dizzy Gillespie there. I asked Muddy if I could take his photo and he said sure and proferred his arm to shake my hand. I've never known a star to do that before. He was an absolute gentleman.

Other people who played there were BB King, Lionel Hampton, Georgie Fame as well as many others. Probably the last really great jazz and blues festival England ever had.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-19 15:33 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: July 19, 2010 15:06

I found links for The Roxy and The Ritz, but they are dead. Can anyone send me some working links, or post on here. This would make my day! Thanks!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 19, 2010 18:28

Wish there was stuff from the '50's with the original band. Nothing seems to exist.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 19, 2010 18:30

Carnaby
Wish there was stuff from the '50's with the original band. Nothing seems to exist.

the recent 60's boxset includes a very nice 45-minute show from '63, previously unavailable. very cool.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: July 19, 2010 19:44

StonesTod
Carnaby

the recent 60's boxset includes a very nice 45-minute show from '63, previously unavailable. very cool.

[www.amazon.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home