Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Very interesting video about Bittersweet Symphony/ Last Time
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 18, 2010 19:12

I'm not so sure I knew the Stones stole "Last Time", but maybe I just forgot LOL

Re: Very interesting video about Bittersweet Symphony/ Last Time
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 18, 2010 23:04

What the Stones took from the Staples Singers was the chorus of The Last Time:

- but what I hear in Bittersweet Symphony is the "told you once and I told you twice" verse of the song - which I think is original Stones - at any rate I can't hear anything like it in the Staples version.

The Stones "stole" The Last Time about as much as the Verve "stole" it from them - both of them added huge extra original content and a shared credit would have been the fairest solution - but Klein is Klein, alas. Thanks for an interesting video.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 18, 2010 23:11

The Stones never "stole" The Last Time, it was in the public domain and a negro spiritual . .no one owned the rights to it.

Believe me, if the Rolling Stones had violated anyone's copyright they would have been sued.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 18, 2010 23:15

Bittersweet Symphony..great tune.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: July 18, 2010 23:32

Allen Klein = scumbag.

there's a fascinating documentary about the history and future of copyrights entitled RiP!: A Remix Manifesto. here's the trailer:

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 19, 2010 03:28

Love the Bittersweet Symphony, always have always will.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 19, 2010 04:15

very interesting, thanks for posting!
it's a shame that so many times music and creativity is in the hands of greedy managers. anal klein...what a dickhead!

bittersweet symphony is a genius track and it's richard ashcrofts song. PERIOD!

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 19, 2010 04:19

It was Richard Ashcroft's decision not to litigate the issue. He decided to give up. We will never know which side was wrong because the Verve refused to fight it in court.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-19 04:20 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 19, 2010 05:24

Well, I always stayed on the fence because I thought BS was just a fantastic song, but hearing him sing it over the original song was pretty interesting and showed he really "borrowed" pretty heavily, but the video does make a point about the beginning being his too though - and also, the lyrics were powerful.

My son is a musician and I can't find it right now, but he showed me a You Tube clip of a ton of songs using the same chord sequence that was written in the late 1700's, the video was amazing, millions of pop songs using the same basic stuff...

Now hearing the whole Staples Singers version of Last Time, I don't see much similiarity between theirs and the Stones, but they did sure snip the line smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-19 05:31 by Lynd8.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1339
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home