Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Under My Thumb - Hampton ´81...sound...
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 28, 2010 01:36

Anyone got an idea what happened ( or didn´t happen ) at the very beginning ?
Was it just the start of the broadcast or the same sound in the hall ?

Re: Under My Thumb - Hampton ´81...sound...
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:17

yeah, Ive always been disappointed with the opening of this show. UMT was a brilliant opener, Hampton a Brilliant show except for the very start of it. Maybe its because Keith and Ron were still walking out when the song started?

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:42

yeah, good thing the rest of Hampton sounds better, but then again I am not a fan of the 81 tour anyhow

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: July 28, 2010 03:02

it's the way the show started. bill and charlie first with woody and keith dropping in as they enter the stage. always thought it sounded great. different cities (LA, chicago ect) seem to have different mixes of the show. made my bootleg as it happened from WLS FM, chicago, which somehow had a horrible signal the night of the show. however keith was dominant in the unmixed broadcast, which was great! was very suprised to hear such a great difference in sound with various bootlegs.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 28, 2010 21:44

Fantastic opening of the best ever Stones gig.

Mathijs

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 28, 2010 21:49

yeah, I didnt like the set list for this tour but thought UMT was the best opener they have ever used and the re-worked guitar version is amazing compared to the original...I always say it and won't misss this chance, 81/82 was the last tour Keith really worked on and played sublimely.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: July 28, 2010 21:53

why did bill start playing such ugly bass guitars? the one in that video is just horrendous! and the ones without headstocks are even worse.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 28, 2010 22:07

bernardanderson
why did bill start playing such ugly bass guitars? the one in that video is just horrendous! and the ones without headstocks are even worse.

Because in '81 this Travis Bean bass was considered the absolute best of the best, made from the highest grade components using the upmost modern materials.

Now in 2010 it indeed looks rather ugly.

Mathijs

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2010 22:14

It's a bit sloppy and Mick's a bit off...saying that, LOVE this as an opener, just so much energy.

Another opener that was surprisingly good was Not Fade Away...what tour did they use that on?

Very 'Bo-Diddley' sound.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 28, 2010 22:25

treaclefingers
It's a bit sloppy and Mick's a bit off...saying that, LOVE this as an opener, just so much energy.

Another opener that was surprisingly good was Not Fade Away...what tour did they use that on?

Very 'Bo-Diddley' sound.

Voodoo Lounge 94/95.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 28, 2010 22:34

bernardanderson

he loved the small neck and the sound of the Steinberger bass.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 22:40

No one has answered shortfatfanny's original question yet.

Keith and Ronnie are playing their guitars but there isn't any sound coming out of them until almost the 1:00 mark on this video.

I was at this show but don't remember details and have never seen the film.
I always wondered what the beginning looked like since the boot i have has waves of audience noise that gets louder and louder with each wave. Always thought the boys might have come out one by one with the two loudest waves being keith and mick coming out last.

It sounds great but why was the guitar sound off at the very beginning when you can hear the other instruments?
I know Ronnie might not have been playing much smiling smiley but Keith sure was playing his guitar.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 28, 2010 23:58

Mixing desk out of synch...probably relying on vision rather than sound and couldnt see Keith and Ron until they were right on stage. It's possible!

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: July 29, 2010 00:02

One of my all time fav openers & shows....

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 29, 2010 00:15

Mathijs

Fantastic opening of the best ever Stones gig.

Mathijs

Yes, fully agree. This opening make me dance. It`s done by mistaken, cause Keith `n` Ronnie are not in the mix or too low but then the moment Ronnie comes in with his raunchy chords that is one of my alltime favourit Stones moments, so @#$%& great...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 29, 2010 00:59

Yeahp, someone asleep at the desk with their hand on the wrong knob ha ha.

That's a common thing. No matter the soundcheck, it's always different for a show. What they heard during soundcheck is different.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: July 29, 2010 01:22

I always though Bill sounded pretty sloppy at the start. Of course may be the first time he moved and played at the same time. : )

once going his groove is to die for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-29 01:23 by Markdog.

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: July 29, 2010 05:20

I don't know what happened/didn't happen but I appreciate you posting the clip.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: July 29, 2010 05:21

absolute garbage!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 29, 2010 08:57

So many screw ups, mistakes here and there by anyone, but still they tend to sound so charismatic and irrestible. The greatest garage band of the world. Majestic. I am such a huge fan of their 1981 sound.

Yeah, a bit slow start as far as the audible guitars go, but once they got them finally mixed front, is a kind of old diesel mobile finally start running... now it sounds like unintented "Gimme Shelter" intro, bulding up the tension...

- Doxa

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 29, 2010 14:01

" cut the crap " ? no we need some dirt from those bastards.A too clean sound would be boring like nowadays unfortunately. Love much better the Beast of Burden from 81 than the 2003

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 29, 2010 14:01

78 and 81 tours show both the best and worst you can get from this band. Sometimes even in the same song! When on fire (most of the times), rock and roll just can't get any better. Fixed set lists, but I don't think there is a single note played the same way two nights in a row. The Hampton show is one of those nights! Perfection. Still life is the record that made me want to learn how to play the guitar back in the 80's (Van Halen who?).

C

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 29, 2010 16:01

Doxa
So many screw ups, mistakes here and there by anyone, but still they tend to sound so charismatic and irrestible.
- Doxa

thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home