Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Exile - first recordings?
Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: June 26, 2010 12:29

In the Exile documentary Mick Jagger said, that the first recordings for the Exile On Main Street album were made at Stargroves.
But i doubt it. I think, Loving Cup and Let It Loose for example are recording first in 1969 at the Olympic Studios.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-25 13:49 by thomas guitar.

Re: Exile - first recordings?
Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: July 25, 2010 13:51

In the Exile documentary Mick Jagger said, that the first recordings for the Exile On Main Street album were made at Stargroves.
But i doubt it. I think, Loving Cup and Let It Loose for example are recording first in 1969 at the Olympic Studios.
Maybe these are the first songs recorded for this album

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 25, 2010 14:01

The echo is getting worse in here

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 25, 2010 15:22

I thought he meant that the Stargroves sessions were the first specifically done for Exile wheras a couple tracks had their genesis during the LIB sessions but did not make it to that LP.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 25, 2010 15:37

Exactly Stargroves first real recording for EOMS - some song were recorded before like: All Down The Line 1969, Shine A Light 1968, Loving Cup 1969 - their working title was different from the final.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 25, 2010 23:25

I really like the orig. acoustic version of All Down the Line + the studio version of Silver Train w/Mick doing that incredible vocal. Is that from Compass Point?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 26, 2010 05:43

What Jagger is NOT saying DIRECTLY is this: they recorded X amount of tunes for Let It Bleed and they recorded X amount of tunes for Sticky Fingers, for which of both some tunes showed up on Exile as it is in some form, whether in their original recording form, like Sweet Virginia, based on things I've read, as far as I know, or they recorded them again or even worked on those recordings overdub wise later even more, as they did later on with several tunes. And even what they actually recorded at the Exile sessions did not all show up on the album - they showed up now, on the Exile rarities disc, and even then, from what I can tell, not all of those being from the actual Exile sessions, as we all know, regardless.

To and for Jagger's convenience of the stating for this project, these extras with the reissue, some or possibly most of those particular leftovers, of which the truth is is still positively unknown and might not ever truly be known since he doesn't seem to be truly concerned nor bothered with, were "decided", now, in 2010, to be for Exile, even though we and he knows that they were indeed "not recorded for Exile" at the true sessions for Exile in France but indeed recorded for the previous said albums at the time, hence being as far back as 1969, but held over for whatever reasons, mainly because they wouldn't "fit".

Which we know is typical Mick Jagger bullshit.

And AS IT IS they even left off tunes from Sticky and Exile for later that we are aware of which at the time became Goats Head Soup (YET ALONE leaving songs off of THAT album!). Whether they were all actually recorded (finished) for those albums is most likely not but maybe possibly known depending on who and when but it is known that they did indeed have some of those tunes for those albums. That has been stated. Why they don't have the copyright of ABKCO Music on them (like the ones on Exile that were recorded for Sticky Fingers and the few on Exile) is not known other than the fact that, for one, the copyright was not turned in like they did while they were working on the songs prior to the sessions for Exile hence the ABKCO songs on Exile and two, of all people, Mick Taylor shed some light on the fact that those songs were held over and somehow escaped the ABKCO contract, which I believe are 100 Years Ago and Hide Your Love, if not more, are indeed from that era, which could conceivably be why some people regard Goats Head Soup as being part of the Big Five as opposed to the Big Four because of the era involved.

I hope that clarifies some things for you. I'm sure others will be happy to respond likewise if warranted, especially if I'm wrong or not all correct!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 26, 2010 10:53

Hide Your Love sounds like it could have been cut the same day as the released version of I'm Not Signifying. Again, I might note that the big four or five all featured Nicky Hopkins. He plays on the next two as well, but is far less integral to the sound than from Beggars through Goat's Head.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1686
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home