Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
½ OT: What did the "square parents" listen to?
Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: July 18, 2010 18:50

Before the arrival of rock 'n roll, Chuck Berry, Elvis and then the Beatles, Stones etc where the young people took over, what did the parents who were so against RnR listen to? Jazz? Certainly not blues?

I read in a Janis Joplin biography, that she rebelled against her parents by listening to jazz.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Re: ½ OT: What did the "square parents" listen to?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 18, 2010 18:55

My parents were married in 1952. They liked Classical and popular music of the forties.

My Dad hated the Stones until he heard Route 66 on my stereo one day and asked me who that band was.
I was then given permission to go to my first Stones show in '78.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 18, 2010 19:03

there are many different kinds of jazz. one's a jazz lover and loves Sinatra, another one gets wasted while listening to Bird & Diz... well...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 18, 2010 19:16

They were from the Rat Pack generation. Looking through their record collection when I was a kid, about the only thing I could find that I even remotely related to was Dionne Warwick and Burt Bacharach. The songs of Bacharach & David really defined the 1960s for people like my parents who were already way too old in 1964 to like the Beatles, or even Elvis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-18 19:23 by tatters.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 18, 2010 20:06

WiLd yOuTh

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 18, 2010 20:24

Kingston Trio, Clancy Brothers, Tommy Makem, Wes Montgomery - my dad's music. My mom liked the '50's rock and roll, although I didn't find out until much later when she had bought this 4 CD collection of old R&B music from '47-'60 that she told me that she had gone to see Elvis Presley w/Hank Snow in Florida when she was 17 in May of '55. Said Elvis was selling 45's at the side of the stage after he performed, like bands do at small clubs these days. This was about a split second (couple of weeks) before Col. Tom Parker stepped in took control. Later on, it took her a little while to warm up to the Stones and Beatles, but she liked the stuff she heard on the radio like everyone else. My old man will dig a little James Brown once in awhile, he'd hear it when he taught in DC public schools back in the '60's-'70's. But he's still in the stone age - it's high lonesome hillbilly music for him.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 18, 2010 20:29

Oh yeah, the old man dug Johnny Cash. Had a bunch of those records. He always like a Boy Named Sue because that pretty much summed up his relationship with his sons. Something else I didn't realize until much later on eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 18, 2010 23:17

In my parents' case, light classical music, folk songs, brass bands, songs from the big Broadway musicals, 1940s pop and dance music, music-hall songs. Definitely not jazz or Sinatra-type stuff. I still like quite a lot of that list (except the Songs From The Shows) and my Mum quite enjoyed the Beatles - but other bands were another story entirely.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 18, 2010 23:35

Shirley Bassey, Ken Dodd (Iask you FFS), Andy Wiliams, Tony Bennett...Glenn Miller...it get's worse, how me and my brother ended up into rock is a miracle!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 18, 2010 23:56

This thread is great fun to read!
I'm only 29, and my parents were born in the early 1950's, so the belong to the Stones generation themselves. In fact, my introduction to popular music as a kid was very much through my dad's copy of Deep Purple In Rock and my mom's Deep Purple Machine Head.

I remember my grandmother (1909-2007) kinda liked the Beatles, but I don't think she or my granddad ever really liked the Stones.

It seems like music overall took on a much more important role to youngsters from the '50s onward. I guess there were some jazz geeks before that, but they (the baby boomers' parents) never really built an identity or bonded around music as much as "we" do. Or am I wrong?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 18, 2010 23:57

My father was born in 1910 and my Mother in 1915, my father was a classical fan and loved the opera which I hated, but because of him I love Chopin, and he was more a Beatles fan a Stones fan.
My mother was more into Mario Lanza and Heintje ;o), and I remember she didn't like Sinatra.

No jazz in my childhood....................

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 19, 2010 00:11

LieB
It seems like music overall took on a much more important role to youngsters from the '50s onward. I guess there were some jazz geeks before that, but they (the baby boomers' parents) never really built an identity or bonded around music as much as "we" do. Or am I wrong?

Well, you may be wrong, but I was not around at the time to know for sure!

Notice the fleur-de-lis on the curtains.
You know there's got to be something good about this video! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 19, 2010 00:54

LieB
This thread is great fun to read!
I'm only 29, and my parents were born in the early 1950's, so the belong to the Stones generation themselves. In fact, my introduction to popular music as a kid was very much through my dad's copy of Deep Purple In Rock and my mom's Deep Purple Machine Head.

I remember my grandmother (1909-2007) kinda liked the Beatles, but I don't think she or my granddad ever really liked the Stones.

Good question. I think the generation you're referring to was just as celebrity-obsessed as people are today, but I think in those days it was more of a movie-star-worship culture. Unlike today, there were probably not all that many singers and musicians that were household names. And it was the ultimate goal of EVERY singer to "get into the pictures", even Sinatra. That's not nearly as true today.

You can't imagine how old it makes me feel that your PARENTS were into Deep Purple. I often feel that way at my job, too. Many of my co-workers have parents who are younger than I am. Whenever I tell my co-workers about a concert that I'm thinking of going to, thinking maybe THEY'LL want to go, too, they will invariably say "Cool. I gotta tell my PARENTS about that. They'll probably wanna go!"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 19, 2010 01:09

I have a great photo of my mum (1908-2000) and her younger sister in 1920s "flapper" dresses and cloche hats, and they both remembered being told "you're NOT going out dressed like THAT" and getting in trouble for staying out late. I guess nothing changes!

Mum was a very good pianist and was much in demand to play all the latest hits at parties (she says she wasn't a very good dancer, so she enjoyed providing the music). They didn't seem to use recorded music or the radio for parties if a live pianist was available - my uncle owned a Gramophone but mostly listened to opera records, although he liked pop music (of the time) and was one of those fortunate people who could sit down at the piano and play pop tunes by ear.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 19, 2010 02:27

Sponge Bob and Square Pants really loves Octopuses garden and loathes Yellow Submarine for encouraging he pollution of his community with gawky hurray Henries staring and pointing. He was recently seen with Patrick at a Whale song concert at Sea World, but left in disgust and vowed to lobby congress and the UN to end slavery of see mammals and fish. Go Sponge Bob!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 19, 2010 02:56

my friend's father saw Hank Sr. play live in Indiana, U.S. of A. back in the day

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 19, 2010 03:02

my mother had a major influence on my appreciation of music - and i don't consider any of it square - much of what she listened to today continues in my heavy rotation all these decades later...mamas & papas, peter paul and mary, we five, herb alpert & the tjb, sergio mendes, the beatles, ray conniff singers, simon and garfunkel....just to name a few.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 19, 2010 03:05

When my brothers and I were little ('60s-70s) our parents listened to lots of Broadway musicals (Sundays after church we'd stop at a Kosher deli, pick up a giant Kosher dill and the New York Times, go home, eat the pickle and listen to show tunes, my father sometimes singing.

My parents favorite music to this day is Gershwin. They also like big band - they're not very nostalgic but they do like to dance after, as of last week, 60 years together (can you imagine that?!)

My father liked Herb Alpert & the Tiajuana Brass and Chubby Checker. When disco came in my parents and their friends took Hustle lessons, so we had some disco records for them to dance to.

My mother loved Gilbert & Sullivan and classical, and were turned onto all those kids records like Leonard Bernstein's breaking down the story of Peter and the Wolf, other explanations of orchestral music, lots of Tschaikovsky.

But she also *secretly* has always liked really funky stuff like Gary US Bonds "Quarter to 3" of Professor Longhair, where she would sort of boogie and embarrass us kids. Now I think that's really cool.

They didn't personally like rock and roll but they were cool enough with us--they had their own lives totally separate from us kids, lots of friends, lots of parties, going into NYC for shows--so they had their thing and they mostly let us do our things without messing with us too much. Thank god. The only exception was my mother didn't like the Stones, tho, because she thought in the '70s that he was the epitomy of soullessness and called him "Mick Decadence." But they let us listen to whatever we wanted and didn't complain.
- swiss

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 19, 2010 07:19

="

One of my parents' favorites

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 19, 2010 10:08

My father mainly listened to Elvis, The Beatles and The Stones.

My mother is a 9 years younger and prefered Roxy Music and Billy Joel.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: July 19, 2010 10:53

At my home there was a big clash in musical taste.
My dad loved the Stones, blues, Jussi Björling, Verdi, Hank Williams, Woody Guthrie, everything Motown and Stax (almost), Beethoven,Evert Taube, Buddy Holly, soul, Grieg, Miles Davies, Bellman and Cornelis Wreesvijk - to mention a few.
Mum: The Beatles, Jim Reeves, The Hollies, Buck Owens, The Mamas & the Papas, The Hep Stars, Tages, The Pussycats, Tina Turner.
Late in her life, though, she started appreciating the Stones ballads. We played "Wild Horses" at her funeral one year ago this Thursday. She even met Mick and Charlie once - in 1990 or 1995 - in a hotel restaurant, and spoke with them!
The "kids": My sister more or less copied my mother's taste. And I copied my dad's taste. With the addition of artists like T.Rex, Mott the Hoople, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Cockney Rebel, The Clash, The Jam, The Sex Pistols, The Band, Ian Hunter with and without Mick Ronson, Eric Andersen, Bruce Springsteen, Blondie Chaplin, Abba (yes, and I'm not even ashamed of that - good quality pop music!), DumDum Boys, The Police, U2, Johnny Cash, Marianne Faithfull, Booker T. and the MGs and a bunch of others.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: July 19, 2010 11:16

Brue
a Boy Named Sue because that pretty much summed up his relationship with his sons.

...'a Boy named Brue'??!
Sorry- couldn't resist it. winking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 19, 2010 15:06

greek music , the trio bel canto

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 19, 2010 16:39

My parents were married in 1956. Neither played much music around the house. Mom had a few Mills Brothers records, but that was about it. Around the house, she listened regularly to WOR in New York, primarily talk shows and adult contemporary.

We were exposed to rock 'n' roll from WABC, the Ed Sullivan Show, American Bandstand, and my older cousins who lived nearby and babysat us. Mom saw that we dug it and help encourage our interest. I started having my own copies of rock 'n' roll records when I was 4.

Date: July 19, 2010 16:49

baxlap
Around the house, she listened regularly to WOR in New York, primarily talk shows and adult contemporary.

Ah, yes. "Rambling With Gambling". My mom loved that show. My dad used to listen to WPAT in his car. He could never get it to come in properly. You could barely hear the music underneath all the static. But he listened to it anyway. It was the easiest of easy listening stations. Their idea of hard rock was "Baby I'm-A Want You".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-19 16:53 by tatters.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:21

Don`t forget there was a 60s beyond The Beatles, Dylan and The Stones that didn`t reccessarily belong to our parents.

I`m thinking of the world of "Easy Listening". Many young adults were living in a paralell universe with Burt Bacharach, James Last, Tom Jones, Engelbert Humperdinck, Playboy and Ford Mustang...

Date: July 20, 2010 02:27

noughties
Don`t forget there was a 60s beyond The Beatles, Dylan and The Stones that didn`t reccessarily belong to our parents.

I`m thinking of the world of "Easy Listening". Many young adults were living in a paralell universe with Burt Bacharach, James Last, Tom Jones, Engelbert Humperdinck, Playboy and Ford Mustang...

I think that's true. Herb Alpert had FIVE #1 albums between 1965 and 1968. It couldn't have been ONLY older people who were buying them.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:31

At my house, classic country - George, Tammy, Merle, Charlie Pride, Hank, etc.. Also, Elvis and Roy Orbison.

I've been blessed.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:47

A lot of different music played in my house, but there were clear favorites.

Dad: Glen Miller Mom: Hank Williams

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:14

sorry....I resisted as for as long as I could....but the thread kept popping up...
I wouldnt know about SBSP except for the my nieghbor running the episodes seemingly nonstop for her kids.....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home