Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Out of control
Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 13, 2010 13:12

I was yesterday in a club in my city and there was a rock band playing. I was so surprised when they played Out of Control. I immediately started jumping and singing. I love this song very much. They also played great versiion of Sympathy for the Devil, Honky Tonk Women and Jumping Jack Flash. They are playing next week and I'll definitely be there.

Re: Out of control
Posted by: novica ()
Date: July 13, 2010 14:20

smileys with beer
cheers BB !
have a good time !!!

Posted by: RiverStone ()
Date: July 13, 2010 17:01

Great ¡¡
"Let the good times roll"smileys with beer

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: July 13, 2010 20:19

Enjoy!

I would take Out of Control and Saint of Me over Honky Tonk Women and Brown Sugar any old day of the week! That probably qualifies me (among my fellow Stones fanatics) as one strange bird!

Seriously, I think Out of Control is one of the best Stones songs ever. I also believe that they still have a few more like it (high quality/high drama) in the well just waiting to be drawn up. Hopefully, the next album will reveal them!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 13, 2010 20:26

OOC is a fantastic song indeed, it should have become a warhorse!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 13, 2010 20:32

The absolute highlight on a regular basis of pretty much any BTB era show that I saw - and more importantly, it showed that as late as 1999, the Stones could still get a crowd worked up to fever pitch by having the balls to play a new song.

The version on No Security proves that - a marvellous performance.

Since then, they seem to be almost apologetic when playing anything new. And 'Out of Control' has pretty much disappeared into the void. A shame.

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: July 13, 2010 20:35

Sounds like FUN, bb

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 14, 2010 02:27

Out of Control was a live highlight beginning with the Bridges tour - & always recieved w/enthusiasm from crowds, even the early part of ABB tour. I've considered Bridges overall to be a very underrated latter-day RS album.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 14, 2010 17:47

The performances of this song that I have seen are schmaltzy and over done with Jagger expressing emotional turmoil as an epileptic fit. The song is over produced to cue the audience because the band has lost the confidence to express emotion musically. Not a bad song, just a silly performance of it Woody flails away on the wah-wah, but at least he is making some noise.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 15, 2010 02:57

pmk251 Don Was is on record as saying it's a very personal and intimate song to Mick, not to say that makes it good (early Jewel was 'personal' too). But its hard to believe we're hearing the same live/studio performances. And I disagree re Micks vocal live - sure he dances and moves, creating excitement during the choruses.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 15, 2010 20:32

I thought the song, on the album, was reasonably forgettable.

HOWEVER, on tour, this song absolutely rocked. Was one of the highlights of the tour.

I also saw them do it on VH1 Fashion awards (yes, and that is the ONLY reason I watched the show).

EXCELLENT!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 29, 2010 21:41

So I went to see this band again as I sad I will and this time it was even better. They performed a lot of Stones song, but again the highlight was Out of Control. What was big surprise for me that there were a lot of young girls and boys and they all knew the lyrics of Out of Control and were singing along with the band.I was so surprised and asked a lot of them how they know this song. They all sad that they heard it the first time when this local band played it. And when I told them that this is a Stones song they didn't believe me. For me this is old story, Stones have so many great songs that they don't play on their concerts any more.
btw they did a 15 minutes version of Sympathy for the Devil and rocked the club. I'll go and see them again on Monday.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 29, 2010 21:47

That's great that there's a band out there playing OOC! I thought alot of the B2B songs sounded better 'breathing' live than on the record: OOC, SOM, Thief, even ASMB? and MAWGJuiced.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 29, 2010 22:35

The studio version sounds like a poor demo BUT the 98 live versions (incl. the one on NS and my fav. ever Praha) are amazing.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 29, 2010 23:27

A great song indeed, I was so excited to hear them break it out at Fenway's opening night.

Date: July 29, 2010 23:29

dcba
The studio version sounds like a poor demo BUT the 98 live versions (incl. the one on NS and my fav. ever Praha) are amazing.

and to take nothing away from the band, but Mick really was the reason (I thought) that it worked so well live.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 29, 2010 23:30

treaclefingers
dcba

and to take nothing away from the band, but Mick really was the reason (I thought) that it worked so well live.

but the cage was not a good idea....wince-worth, cringe-worthy....

Date: July 30, 2010 00:02

StonesTod
treaclefingers
dcba

OK, I don't even remember a cage...I saw them in LA '97 and Vancouver '98.
Is it possible they didn't have a cage when I saw it, or was the cage standard.

It does sound 'cringeworthy' and maybe my memory has blotted it out, to protect itself?

Did he come out in a cage or something? Tell me there were at least a few scantily clad girls in the cage with him!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2010 00:08

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
dcba

It does sound 'cringeworthy' and maybe my memory has blotted it out, to protect itself?

Did he come out in a cage or something? Tell me there were at least a few scantily clad girls in the cage with him!

start of the NS tour...it was dropped after a very few shows. it was worth a few howls...but i'm not sure that was the idea....yeah, he was "trapped" a cage, and then managed to break out as song broke into it's first or second chorus....houdini!

Date: July 30, 2010 00:15

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
dcba

start of the NS tour...it was dropped after a very few shows. it was worth a few howls...but i'm not sure that was the idea....yeah, he was "trapped" a cage, and then managed to break out as song broke into it's first or second chorus....houdini!

good lord.

I like to think Mick has taste, but everyone once in a while (song and video for Let's Work, Running Out Of Luck movie, Jerry Hall), he just disappoints.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: July 30, 2010 00:20

pmk251
The performances of this song that I have seen are schmaltzy and over done with Jagger expressing emotional turmoil as an epileptic fit. The song is over produced to cue the audience because the band has lost the confidence to express emotion musically. Not a bad song, just a silly performance of it Woody flails away on the wah-wah, but at least he is making some noise.
very accurate but to be honest all contemporary bands are much worse than Stones performing Out of Control live...isn`t it true ?

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: July 30, 2010 01:35

Sorry guys: listen to "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" and tell me seriously that Jagger's take on that one does n o t fall in the "nice try" category. Case closed (for me). What's next, "Don't Stop"?

(I might add that I find B2B an overall solid effort - a carefully handicrafted piece of work -, and I wish they would go further in that direction instead of kidding themselves and us with their annoying reliance on 'the formula', songwriting-, recording- and productionwise)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home