Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick talks about money and tour next year is 'very likely'
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:35

Mick talks about making money from records. At the end it mentions the Stones saying a tour next year is 'very likely'.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-12 09:43 by Silver Dagger.

Re: Mick talks about money and tour next year is 'very likely'
Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 12, 2010 10:28

This is what it says at the end of the article:

"However with the Rolling Stones saying another tour next year is "very likely", there seems little chance of Sir Mick and company drifting away from the spotlight just yet."

Hasn't Mick already said another tour will likely happen in the next year or so? If so, then the article's above claim is nothing new, and no more solid than what's already been stated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-12 10:31 by bustedtrousers.

"Mick on money" article on the BBC news website
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 12, 2010 10:22

[news.bbc.co.uk]

<<< Timing helps Sir Mick Jagger's money making
Page last updated at 15:20 GMT, Sunday, 11 July 2010 16:20 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version By Simon Atkinson

Business reporter, BBC News

Sir Mick Jagger says The Rolling Stones did not always make a lot of money Among the alumni of the London School of Economics, many have gone on to earn vast fortunes.

The illustrious list includes Easyjet founder Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, French billionaire Delphine Arnault, and financier George Soros.

One of its less conventional former students is Sir Mick Jagger, whose estimated £190m stash looks measly compared to the wealth of those above.

But while those riches are ultimately down to his song writing, singing and guitar playing - business nous has undeniably played a part.

His band, The Rolling Stones, have released about 90 singles and more than two dozen studio albums. And still selling out huge arenas and stadia, they also control the touring, the merchandise and sponsorship side of the business.

There was a small period from 1970 to 1997 where people did get paid and they got paid very handsomely

But in a rare interview, Sir Mick admitted to the BBC that he was lucky in the timing of his career.

"When the Stones started out they didn't make any money out of records because record companies didn't pay you," he said.

"Nobody got paid. I always wonder if Frank Sinatra got paid.

etc etc ...... check out the very end of the article ....

However with the Rolling Stones saying another tour next year is "very likely", there seems little chance of Sir Mick and company drifting away from the spotlight just yet >>>

So who exactly has been saying a tour next year is " very likely" ? Mick, Keith, charlie ? Have I not been paying attention and have missed something THEY have said, or this mere speculation by the BBC having picked up some dodgy rumour somewhere or other ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: "Mick on money" article on the BBC news website
Date: July 12, 2010 10:27

Er, thread already started paulywaul [www.iorr.org]

BBC News Article on Mick & Money....news on a tour as well!!
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: July 12, 2010 10:40

Saw this and then scrolled down the page, low and behold another tour rumour!

BBC News Article on Mick

Doh I've just seen the other two posts. Damn I should get up earlier. BV please delete.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-12 10:42 by NickB.

Re: BBC News Article on Mick & Money....news on a tour as well!!
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 12, 2010 10:42

That's the third one NickB cool smiley

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 12, 2010 10:51

And there's also nothing in the article about touring again that hasn't already been stated. Mick said on Larry King, if I'm not mistaken, that another tour is likely. He may not of said next year, but how long do you think he meant, 3, 4, 5 years from now?

I knew someone would take the article as fact, as if this were actual news about a tour. Sorry, but that's hardly the case here, it's all been said before.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: July 12, 2010 10:53

Interesting article. wouldn't want to be trying to make a living in music these days, though. radio is dead and everthing is free on the internet.

Date: July 12, 2010 11:31

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-12 11:45 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 12, 2010 12:54

If bands were paid so badly by the record companies back then, how were Jagger et al able to afford large country houses and Bentleys? Nellcote cost in the region of £1000 per week in 1971 - who was paying the bills if the Stones were allegedly so poor?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 12, 2010 14:12

Do any of you here get annoyed when Mick Jagger complains about a time when he didn't have money? Does he know what that really mean to be broke? Please... Keith was supposed to be broke in 1971, meanwhile he buy or rent Nellcote!!! In the name of those who really don't have money, he should stop that BS with not having money. I am glad for him that he has money. But after 1965, the stones started to buy or live in mansions, castles and to live a lifestyle that was not the one of people without money. So Mick give me a @#$%& break.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 12, 2010 14:20

rollmops
Do any of you here get annoyed when Mick Jagger complains about a time when he didn't have money? Does he know what that really mean to be broke? Please... Keith was supposed to be broke in 1971, meanwhile he buy or rent Nellcote!!! In the name of those who really don't have money, he should stop that BS with not having money. I am glad for him that he has money. But after 1965, the stones started to buy or live in mansions, castles and to live a lifestyle that was not the one of people without money. So Mick give me a @#$%& break.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

I think Keith rented Nellcote.

I don't know exactly how close to "broke" Mick actually got, but I know Mick understands that he had to do something when the band was in financial straits and that's a big part of the Mick you see today.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: July 12, 2010 14:25

Let's put it this way: As watching it from today all of the musicians just lived with bread and water for the next days. If they was a good deal for a concert they had more money. Do not forget that they were more or less bankrupt by the late 60ies due to massive costs on touring and living overboard. I do not want to judge if that was wrong or right. But Jagger sees it from that point of view that it's nice to have fill up a saving account. That's all.
They made only real good money once Prince Rupert von Löwenstein took over the management.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2010 14:51

not even worth a comment

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 12, 2010 20:03

I'am still wondering how they can assess this amount. I think it is a very, very conservative amount. Still the same since 20 years.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 12, 2010 20:17

I went to see Ringo on Saturday night here in Atlanta. As usual, the All Starrs were fabulous, but when you think about the list of names (Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer, Gary Wright, etc.), those guys have not sold records or CDs in any large amount in over 25 years. You make your money touring, but Edgar is about the only one of that bunch that I can see still being able to go out and fill large clubs. As fabulous as he still is, he couldn't do anything close to an arena tour without a bunch of other folks with him.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 12, 2010 21:25

It's typical for artist to burn the money they earn and then they get surprised that they like everybody else have to pay taxes. What a suprise!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-12 21:30 by mtaylor.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 12, 2010 22:25

Done deal. Take it to the bank

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: July 12, 2010 22:31

there we have it, folks! mickscarey says it's a done deal! who is your inside source, paul mccartney? the voice in your head? oh, and p.s. where's that ticket stub you promised to scan and post? i mean, how can we trust you in saying that it's a done deal when you can't even provide evidence of something you say you have.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2010 22:35

mickscarey
Done deal. Take it to the bank

I thought the done deal was for this year?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 12, 2010 22:35

Funny remark by Bill Graham:
Rival promoter Bill Graham, who also bid on the tour, later wrote "Losing the Stones was like watching my favourite lover become a whore."
Was it somehow Stones prostituting them self to Michael Cohl?

Timing helps Sir Mick Jagger's money making (Read at the end)
Posted by: RiverStone ()
Date: July 14, 2010 00:39

Among the alumni of the London School of Economics, many have gone on to earn vast fortunes.
The illustrious list includes Easyjet founder Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, French billionaire Delphine Arnault, and financier George Soros.
One of its less conventional former students is Sir Mick Jagger, whose estimated £190m stash looks measly compared to the wealth of those above.
But while those riches are ultimately down to his song writing, singing and guitar playing - business nous has undeniably played a part.
His band, The Rolling Stones, have released about 90 singles and more than two dozen studio albums.
There was a small period from 1970 to 1997 where people did get paid and they got paid very handsomely
Sir Mick Jagger
And still selling out huge arenas and stadia, they also control the touring, the merchandise and sponsorship side of the business.
But in a rare interview, Sir Mick admitted to the BBC that he was lucky in the timing of his career.
"When the Stones started out they didn't make any money out of records because record companies didn't pay you," he said.
"Nobody got paid. I always wonder if Frank Sinatra got paid.
"Your royalty was so low. If you sold a million records you got a million pennies. It was all very nice, but not what you imagined you were going to get."
Rich lists
However things changed as musicians became more adept at controlling their creations.
This came at about the time the Stones hit what many see as their peak, which included the 1972 release of the critically acclaimed Exile on Main Street.
Later the boom in music sales through the development of the compact disc bolstered the earnings of those on lucrative royalty deals.
"There was a small period from 1970 to 1997 where people did get paid and they got paid very handsomely," Sir Mick said.
The introduction of the CD meant a lot of established artists with good royalties deals did well and of course a lot of the record companies did incredibly well
Horace Trubridge British Musicians' Union
"They did make money but now that period's done. If you look at the history of recorded music from, say, 1900 to now, there was that period where artists did very well but the rest of the time they didn't."
A quick glance at this year's Sunday Times UK Music Rich List confirms the thinking.
All the artists in the Top 20 were prominent in the 1970s or 1980s and include Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and the family of fellow Beatle George Harrison.
Also on the list are Sir Elton John, Sir Tom Jones, Eric Clapton and Robin and Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees. Sir Mick's fellow Rolling Stone Keith Richards also makes the cut with £175m.

However with the Rolling Stones saying another tour next year is "very likely", there seems little chance of Sir Mick and company drifting away from the spotlight just yet.

font:[news.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Timing helps Sir Mick Jagger's money making (Read at the end)
Date: July 14, 2010 00:52

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 14, 2010 00:53

And 3 more drinking smiley

Posted by: RiverStone ()
Date: July 14, 2010 01:25

I'm sorry, I haven't seen it posted beforesad smiley
Could the administrator or moderator please delete this post??
Salutes.

PS: Anyway... I hope They get on tour next year ¡¡

Date: July 14, 2010 01:52

RiverStone
I'm sorry, I haven't seen it posted beforesad smiley
Could the administrator or moderator please delete this post??
Salutes.

Oh, don't worry about it. It will just fade away.

mick and money - bbc
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 14, 2010 06:07

interesting article

EDIT

already posted!! sorry! please delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-14 06:11 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: July 15, 2010 19:24

Father Ted
If bands were paid so badly by the record companies back then, how were Jagger et al able to afford large country houses and Bentleys? Nellcote cost in the region of £1000 per week in 1971 - who was paying the bills if the Stones were allegedly so poor?
Jagger/Richards songwriter credits.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 27, 2010 00:27

Done deal re: tour next year

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: July 27, 2010 00:30

thanks for the hot tip, mickscarey.
go back to reading your ann coulter books.

p.s.
Re: rolling stones 2010 really confirmed?
Posted by: mickscarey
Date: February 18, 2010 02:10

My INSIDE sources say DONE DEAL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-27 00:33 by bernardanderson.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home