Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Were The Stones ever on Soul Train?
Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: July 9, 2010 18:34

I was watching a documentary about the History of Soul Train on VH1 Classic yesterday, and saw that Elton John and David Bowie were on. Were the Stones ever on there?

Re: Were The Stones ever on Soul Train?
Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: July 9, 2010 18:38

No

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:09

yes 1978 Miss You video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 19:10 by deardoctortake1.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:22

Yup, I remember seeing the Miss You video, my first Stones video. Don Cornelious introduced them and the video slithered on. Great impression! Loved it!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:24

The hippest trip in America !

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:31

Maybe next tour they could cover Stomp by The Brothers Johnson.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:45

Edith Grove

this was a great show on tv .we used to see this on saturday's on noon or 1:00pm .then at 7:00pm we used to watch hee haw .that's diversity.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 9, 2010 20:31

Ronnie Wood appeared with Billy Prestons band on an episode.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 9, 2010 21:07

uhbuhgullayew
Maybe next tour they could cover Stomp by The Brothers Johnson.

i caught these guys live around 81-82 at a theatre in the round .pretty good show .what a blast to the past .

Date: July 10, 2010 00:40

whitem8
Yup, I remember seeing the Miss You video, my first Stones video. Don Cornelious introduced them and the video slithered on. Great impression! Loved it!

Awesome!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 10, 2010 01:36

stateofshock
I was watching a documentary about the History of Soul Train on VH1 Classic yesterday, and saw that Elton John and David Bowie were on. Were the Stones ever on there?

I remember seeing Elton on Soul Train. Must have been 1975. Played Philadelphia Freedom on a glass piano.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: July 10, 2010 04:04

Don played Harlem Shuffle when it came out and introduced it as by "the mighty Rolling Stones"!

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 10, 2010 05:13

Having their promo film played during the show isn't really the same as being "on" Soul Train.

Would have been cool for them to have done an in-person appearance, which could have been done for a number of singles: Ain't Too Proud to Beg, Hot Stuff/Fool To Cry, Miss You, Beast of Burden, Emotional Rescue...I can imagine them miming those songs with cutaways to the Soul Train dancers, followed by an interview with Don Cornelius.

They probably didn't want to follow Bowie and Elton, but it would have been a smart (and important ) move during an era when the FM rock radio format started to become segregated from black artists and music.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: July 10, 2010 07:45

The Greek
Edith Grove

this was a great show on tv .we used to see this on saturday's on noon or 1:00pm .then at 7:00pm we used to watch hee haw .that's diversity.

How many cotton plants had to die to provide enough fabric for Brother Don's tie?

Date: July 23, 2010 21:29

bigfrankie
Don played Harlem Shuffle when it came out and introduced it as by "the mighty Rolling Stones"!

Wow! Awesome!

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 24, 2010 08:00

whitem8

I think I remember that. It was the days before cable. You couldn't avoid it.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: July 24, 2010 09:00

Through Time/Warner, there's supposed to have been a 9-DVD set that was released back in March called Soul Train: The Best of Soul Train. Unnfortunately, the discs are not laid out in chronological fashion. I really wish they could do a series where you could get discs by year. That way, I would be able to pick up only the stuff from the years when Soul hadn't been transformed by Disco. I'd probably only go up to to include 1974 in my collection. I'm still tempted to eventually get this one of these days. The early to mid-'70s stuff is what I crave.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home