Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
the age-old question of...ageing
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:42

so our boys are approaching 70 and i read alot about how old-age should preclude any notion that they can produce as well as they did in younger years....

over the weekend, i had the opportunity to seea killer blues-fest lineup in santa cruz....

eric burdon - 69 years young - and i've never seen or heard him better (and i've seen him many times over the decades). sat down only briefly during one song...otherwise was prowling the stage with abandon....and his voice was as strong as ever (and that's saying something)...and his focus was better than i've ever heard...no fooling around with lyrics, phrasing, etc....

then we have the amazing case of mr. buddy guy. pushing 74 years young and i'm not sure i've ever heard or seen him in better form - voice and guitar.

trucks and tedeschi, montoya, was (not was) - all wonderful as always, but each of them took a back-seat to their elder masters....

Re: the age-old question of...ageing
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:50

Nothing special StonesTod, on the contrary. In classical music the musicians usually are getting better when they're getting older. And don't think playing the violin etc. and conducting are a piece of cake.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:55

the only singer I know of that sounded better after passing 60 is Johnny Cash. Listen to his 4 first albums on American Label..

Date: June 1, 2010 18:57

even aside from his weekend show, buddy guy is a MUCH better and more forceful singer than he was in his younger years. truth be told, he wasn't that good of a singer back in the sixties....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 1, 2010 19:00

..but Keith was..Listen to his All down the line on the latest issue..he's sounding like Robbie Williams...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 1, 2010 19:02

I think it goes for some of them and not all, Eric Burdon is one of them with a voice that's still great

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 1, 2010 19:06

John Fogerty's voice, as well, is still AMAZING.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 1, 2010 19:13

I like Van Morrison's "older" voice better than his Them voice (or his Warner Bros. era voice).

To me, Van has gotten better over the decades!

Mark

Date: June 1, 2010 19:14

I also like Mick Jagger's older "blues" voice better too. The way he sings Little Red Rooster, Rock Me Baby, Champagne and Reefer, Love in Vain, live in the 90s/00s.

Date: June 1, 2010 19:18

LeedsLungs71
I like Van Morrison's "older" voice better than his Them voice (or his Warner Bros. era voice).

i'm with you there....

Date: June 1, 2010 19:20

StonesTod
LeedsLungs71

i'm with you there....

I also like Clapton's older blues voice too. More convincing when he sings old Robert Johnson songs like "Little Queen of Spades".

Mark

Date: June 1, 2010 19:26

LeedsLungs71
StonesTod
LeedsLungs71

i'm with you there....

I also like Clapton's older blues voice too. More convincing when he sings old Robert Johnson songs like "Little Queen of Spades".

2-for-2, Mark. care for an attempt at a hat-trick?

Date: June 1, 2010 19:30

StonesTod
LeedsLungs71
StonesTod
LeedsLungs71

i'm with you there....

Well, this one is coming in from left field, but I do love Bonnie Raitt's "older" voice too. Not sure that is gonna snag a hat-trick. LOL

Mark

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 1, 2010 19:32

I am quite sure that if we could see any of the stones perform in a more stripped down situation as the santa cruz blues-fest is, we would be equally impressed.

For sure the big stadium show formula (which in any case I love) is not exactly the best situation for us to appreciate those sublte details that ususually are what make elder great performers so unique.

Based on what i read here, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman recent performances were great. As were Jagger and Richards' occasional (but more rare) cameos here and there. I even read good things of whatever Ronnie Wood was doing. The SAL outtakes have some great moments. For what matters, I saw a concert of Tim Ries stones project a couple of weeks ago, also featuring Fowler and Jones, and it was nothing less than fantastic.

C

Date: June 1, 2010 19:36

LeedsLungs71
StonesTod
LeedsLungs71
StonesTod
LeedsLungs71

i'm with you there....

Well, this one is coming in from left field, but I do love Bonnie Raitt's "older" voice too. Not sure that is gonna snag a hat-trick. LOL

Mark

pretty kewl - cos that's exactly whom i was thinking of....i also love her more mature voice. tedeschi's singing style is eerily similar, btw....

Date: June 1, 2010 19:37

liddas
I am quite sure that if we could see any of the stones perform in a more stripped down situation as the santa cruz blues-fest is, we would be equally impressed.

For sure the big stadium show formula (which in any case I love) is not exactly the best situation for us to appreciate those sublte details that ususually are what make elder great performers so unique.

Based on what i read here, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman recent performances were great. As were Jagger and Richards' occasional (but more rare) cameos here and there. I even read good things of whatever Ronnie Wood was doing. The SAL outtakes have some great moments. For what matters, I saw a concert of Tim Ries stones project a couple of weeks ago, also featuring Fowler and Jones, and it was nothing less than fantastic.

wow!! i would not have guessed that Tim Reis is still knockin' 'em dead!!! will wonders never cease...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-01 19:38 by StonesTod.

Date: June 1, 2010 19:38

StonesTod
LeedsLungs71
StonesTod
LeedsLungs71
StonesTod
LeedsLungs71

i'm with you there....

Mark

pretty kewl - cos that's exactly whom i was thinking of....i also love her more mature voice. tedeschi's singing style is eerily similar, btw....

Oh yes, I love Tedeschi. Her version of Little By Little from Clapton's 2007 Crossroads in Chicago was amazing!!! We sure have similar tastes in music. Who are some of your other fave artists? I have a long list myself. LOL

Mark

Date: June 1, 2010 20:15

LeedsLungs71
StonesTod
LeedsLungs71
StonesTod
LeedsLungs71
StonesTod
LeedsLungs71

i'm with you there....

Mark

Oh yes, I love Tedeschi. Her version of Little By Little from Clapton's 2007 Crossroads in Chicago was amazing!!! We sure have similar tastes in music. Who are some of your other fave artists? I have a long list myself. LOL

Mark

her version of you got the silver ain't bad at all, either - with hubby on slide. also love it when she does dylan's don't think 2x - sometimes with the ABB.

i don't even know how to describe my tastes nor list my faves....way too many to mention here - the gamut from jackie gleason orchestra to placebo....with a particular interest in older (pre-65) jazz and blues..and everything else...haha...

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: June 1, 2010 20:33

Older & Better. Two more for the list:

Ry Cooder
Nick Lowe

Date: June 1, 2010 20:37

mccparty
Older & Better. Two more for the list:

Ry Cooder
Nick Lowe

ok - and what of the other half of little village?

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: June 1, 2010 20:47

allright, i'll add the rest of them to the list!

John Hiatt
Jim Keltner

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 1, 2010 20:55

70 years

Still a great voice

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: June 1, 2010 23:55

Do you think Mick feels pressured to perform with the same level
of energy as always? In all of the the Stones tour history he's
dancing, running, moving and jumping has been consistent, even in
Shine a light. Personally, I wouldn't mind watching a Stones show
with a less active Mick, as long as the energy goes into the music
itself. It will happen eventually...I'm ready.

Date: June 2, 2010 00:12

well, i think the pressure, to the extent there is any, is self-imposed for the most part. you can work a crowd without making it an athletic contest. burdon did it the other day - but he worked the crowd without letting it interfere with his vocals.

i would like to believe that if mick focused on vocals - even sitting on occasion - that the audience would appreciate the effort. it's a CONCERT - an expression of MUSIC. well, for me it is or is supposed to be. the theatrics and props and all that strike me as ancillary and disposable....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2010 00:38

StonesTod
well, i think the pressure, to the extent there is any, is self-imposed for the most part. you can work a crowd without making it an athletic contest. burdon did it the other day - but he worked the crowd without letting it interfere with his vocals.

i would like to believe that if mick focused on vocals - even sitting on occasion - that the audience would appreciate the effort. it's a CONCERT - an expression of MUSIC. well, for me it is or is supposed to be. the theatrics and props and all that strike me as ancillary and disposable....

This is what Mick does, perform, and what we've come to love...not that I have a problem with him sitting down occasionally either.

I'm sure this is self-imposed, but who cares. His singing in concert now is far better than it was in the late seventies/early eighties...it seems far more disciplined.

I don't like the 'mannered' style he is singing of late, to parrot a number of other people, but maybe he'll grow out of that in time.

This guy is in shape, can perform, wants to perform, so we applaud this and him and enjoy it.

Besides, if Mick wasn't shaking his ass, what would Charlie look at for 2 hours a night?

But yeah, sit down occasionally, what the hell.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: June 2, 2010 03:14

Date: June 2, 2010 00:12

Agree. I just hope it doesn't go the other away and theathrics will take a greater importance to make up for a less active Mick.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 2, 2010 05:32

StonesTod

eric burdon - 69 years young - and i've never seen or heard him better (and i've seen him many times over the decades). sat down only briefly during one song...otherwise was prowling the stage with abandon....and his voice was as strong as ever (and that's saying something)...and his focus was better than i've ever heard...no fooling around with lyrics, phrasing, etc....

I saw Burdon 30 years ago, and I've also seen him recently. He's still good, but 30 years ago he was better than great.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: June 2, 2010 05:37

tatters
StonesTod

I saw Burdon 30 years ago, and I've also seen him recently. He's still good, but 30 years ago he was better than great.

Spill the wine and take that pearl, Spill the wine and take that pearl
Spill the wine and take that pearl, Spill the wine and take that pearl

I was once out strolling one very hot summer's day
When I thought I'd lay myself down to rest
in a big field of tall grass
I lay there in the sun and felt it caressing my face

And I fell asleep and dreamed
I dreamed I was in a Hollywood movie
And that I was the star of the movie
This really blew my mind, the fact that me,
an overfed, long-haired leaping gnome
should be the star of a Hollywood movie

But there I was, I was taken to a place, the hall of the moun

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 2, 2010 05:41

Some folks age better than others. Honestly, if you watch Shine A Light, it is hard to argue that the guitar players have aged worse than many of their peers. Like they could have ever gotten famous playing like that.

All the same, Charlie and Mick's talents have aged beautifully. We all know this.

Date: June 2, 2010 05:52

tatters
StonesTod

i saw him 30 years ago as well - maybe 15 times in the last 30 years - but sunday's was maybe the best for me.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home