Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Gothenburg or Oslo
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 9, 2010 14:11

walkingthedog
Oslo is one of the best cities in the world. I have lived here for 59 years and I have visited hundreds of other cities and I say Oslo is the most beautiful.

WHOA !!! WHOA, WHOA !!! No offence against OSLO but it's far from the most beautiful city on the planet...... Come on !! It is attractive, has some beautiful areas for sure, and is very clean and organized. Most expendsive 1/2 liter of Beer in Europe maybe (but the Beer is damn good, I love most European beer), yeah that one flys easily. As a TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHER (on hold till I get ALL digital photograhy aspects down - including master this gigantic EPSON photo printer - still working on it). I once had a contract to do a series of books called "5 Cities" - that was gonna get me my used almost new JEANNEAU 45 ft sail boat. They were suppose to be the 5 most beautiful cities on each continent or a weird mix once or twice. A few times I had to step out a bit (you'll see what I mean). The publisher LOVED the whole idea. I was ready to go. The publisher went broke. Here's my list anyway, you can't go wrong !!! This was a while back. I keep a copy of our work/idea sheet - too bad he had a gambling problem and couldn't keep his money in his pocket for this massive project..... Oh well, sh*t like this happens ALL THE TIME.......

EUROPE: 5 CITIES

PARIS
VENICE (basically a tie with Paris)
LISBON
PRAGUE
VIENNA

EUROPE II: 5 CITIES

BRUGES (Belgium)
SEVILLE
ISTANBUL
STOCKHOLM
ST.PETERSBURG
(BERGEN - Norway - almost made this one. We argued about it A LOT. It was VERY CLOSE, almost in the book)

SOUTH AMERICA/AUSTRALIA/EAST ASIA ; 5 CITIES

BUENOS AIRES
CUSCO (Peru)
SYDNEY (Australia)
KYOTO (Japan)
HONG KONG

SOUTH ASIA /NORTH AFRICA: 5 CITIES

SINGAPORE
BANGKOK + Floating Market
MARRAKECH/FEZ
DUBAI (UAE)
CAIRO

ISLANDS: 5 ISLANDS

SANTORINI/MYKONOS (Greece)
SEYCHELLES
ZANZIBAR
TAHITI
BALI

USA/CANADA: 5 CITIES

SAN FRANCISCO
NEW ORLEANS
VANCOUVER
HAWAII
MIAMI/KEY WEST

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 14:31 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 9, 2010 14:44

Exactly, Helter Skelter.
Of course my post on page 1 wasn't really serious,
I knew it get Addicted's heat up though - and right I was. Strange that some people have to declare that "their city" is so beautiful....it's in the eyes of the beholder.

But when being objective; no Oslo surely ain't a "beautiful city". Most capitols in Europe are better looking. Especially Stockholm, Vienna, Paris and Rome

Of course there are some great *people* in Oslo....but you can say that about any place.

@DandelionPowderman; yep I agree about St Hanshaugen; nice area.

Date: July 9, 2010 15:02

So true Erik, I 'm in LA and I ain't gonna say it's beautiful - no way. A few pockets of it are but then the big rush to come west started in the 1930's, 1950's and they started to build houses that looked like giant shoe boxes with windows. Too bad, it DID have a look going (see ROMAN POLANSKI'S CHINATOWN film) but when the crowds came the charm left.... aw , there's always San Francisco (until the big earthquake flattens it out - what ya gonna do? - Mother Nature gets pissed off.....) smiling smiley

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: July 9, 2010 15:26

Erik_Snow
Exactly, Helter Skelter.
Of course my post on page 1 wasn't really serious,
I knew it get Addicted's heat up though - and right I was. Strange that some people have to declare that "their city" is so beautiful....it's in the eyes of the beholder.

But when being objective; no Oslo surely ain't a "beautiful city". Most capitols in Europe are better looking. Especially Stockholm, Vienna, Paris and Rome

Of course there are some great *people* in Oslo....but you can say that about any place.

@DandelionPowderman; yep I agree about St Hanshaugen; nice area.

Where are the shanty towns? You wrote about shanty towns. I'm very interrested in seing them. And heroin at Grünerløkka??? Could you at least stick to the truth - because it's ugly enough what's going on around the Central station.

You didn't get "my heath up", but you keep puzzling me. You're one strange kiddo. I know it can be hard for a person from up north comming to Oslo to live and study, or work, because you have a slightly different culture up there. It's easy to feel out of place, in Oslo, because it's crowded, I guess. (I know, my dad was in army intelligence - no, he was NOT James Bond! and we lived at several places in Northern Norway.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 15:31 by Addicted.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 9, 2010 15:45

@addicted - there's lotsa dealers at Grünerløkka, I really don't know what they're therying to push on me, I walk on by....maybe some other drug
And no, I like the people I know in Oslo - you are incorrect.
I was talking about the town, as it would appear for somebody *visiting* the place. Of course if you go "the right places", there's some OK spots; but nothing to brag about from a bigger perspective - unless you can't see longer than your own belly bottom. Bergen and Stockholm are much nicer places, as previously mentioned - if you don't think so....well let's agree to disagree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 15:46 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 9, 2010 16:33

Just got back from Wroclaw in Poland. Lovely place going back in October.

John Nicholls

Date: July 9, 2010 16:57

john nicholls
Just got back from Wroclaw in Poland. Lovely place going back in October.
John Nicholls

Haven't been to Poland since 1991. I'm sure it's just TOTALLY different now. I'll tell you one thing, the babes there are Hot City Plus (and you can take that info to the bank !). Totally pretty and I don't know if it was the communism or the Pope or what but they're pretty rebellious and open to express all kinds of freedom these days (if you get my drift). Very rebellious when it comes to following rules - if society or the church says it's wrong they're ready to jump right in and go for it.... Plus that little accent is SO CUTE. Damn, I should be there right now when the weather is good and the tiny bikini's are all over the place..... smiling smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:35

HelterSkelter
So true Erik, I 'm in LA and I ain't gonna say it's beautiful - no way. A few pockets of it are but then the big rush to come west started in the 1930's, 1950's and they started to build houses that looked like giant shoe boxes with windows. Too bad, it DID have a look going (see ROMAN POLANSKI'S CHINATOWN film) but when the crowds came the charm left.... aw , there's always San Francisco (until the big earthquake flattens it out - what ya gonna do? - Mother Nature gets pissed off.....) smiling smiley
Helter you know what the best part of LA is?....The city limits sign....In your rear view mirror. Nothing beats the city by the bay!

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:52

I´m from Göteborg (Gothenburg). Born here, lived here all my life. I love this city. Seen quite a few Stones shows here. I have 10 minutes by bike to the open sea, great archipelago. Good bootshops, great pubs, one of Europes biggest amusementparks, loads of history if you´ll take the time (the city was more or less built by the dutch). I won´t get in to a pissing contest about any town out there, they all have their pros and cons. I´m just in love with my city, warts and all.
If any of you are thinking of visiting, shoot me a mail, and I´ll direct you to some good sightseeing. And who knows, I might invite to my home to see some Stonesstuff winking smiley

Gothenburg 1982, only town in Scandinavia to get a Stones concert. Well, we in fact got 2!

More here: [www.stonesvikings.com]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: July 11, 2010 09:53

Erik_Snow
@addicted - there's lotsa dealers at Grünerløkka, I really don't know what they're therying to push on me, I walk on by....maybe some other drug
And no, I like the people I know in Oslo - you are incorrect.
I was talking about the town, as it would appear for somebody *visiting* the place. Of course if you go "the right places", there's some OK spots; but nothing to brag about from a bigger perspective - unless you can't see longer than your own belly bottom. Bergen and Stockholm are much nicer places, as previously mentioned - if you don't think so....well let's agree to disagree.

Yes, there are drug dealers in Grünerløkka, but they sell hash.
If you want heroin, you probably know where to go. Central Station, right! Coke is everywhere in the western world.
Your tactics when quoting and "seemingly answering a question" is strange... I never said you didn't like the people you know in Oslo. And I never said Oslo's better than Stockholm or Bergen. I just answered TooMuchAlcohol's question - Oslo or Gothenburg, and provided some quite useful info.
And by the way, answering the Finnish weekend tourist the way you did is very disrespectful. He deserved a proper anwer, and that answer was certainly NOT provided by you. Your behaviour was worthy of a kindergarden graduate.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: July 11, 2010 10:57

To HelterSkelter : I'm not saying Oslo can compete with
international metropoles like Paris, Venice, Prague, Lisbon
and Vienna in terms of interesting historic buildings and
general activities ,it is
after all a small provincial city (1/2 million). My own
personal favourites are Paris, Rome, San Francisco and Toronto.

However, I do believe the geographic location of Oslo is
unique, with the proximity of both the fjord and the mountains
and forests, easily reachable from any point in town.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home