Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Ringo turns 70 (with peace and love)
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 8, 2010 19:19

I'm going to see Ringo on Saturday night here in Atlanta, and he'll be my third Beatle to see live (Paul and George being the other two).

I'll write up a review and post it here on Sunday, should be an interesting show.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 8, 2010 19:39

Have fun, Mongoose!

Saw an edition of the All-Starr Band at Chastain a few years back - Joe Walsh, Nils Lofgren, Dave Edmunds, Zak Starkey, Burton Cummings, Tood Rundgren, Timothy B. Schmidt, etc. - lots of fun!

I'll be looking for your review.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 8, 2010 20:58

Mongoose
I'm going to see Ringo on Saturday night here in Atlanta, and he'll be my third Beatle to see live (Paul and George being the other two).

I'll write up a review and post it here on Sunday, should be an interesting show.
It's Beatles night across america. I'm going to see McCartney saturday night in San Francisco. First time Paul's played in the city limits since the last Beatles concert at candlestick park.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: July 8, 2010 21:43

For the locals, The Fest for Beatles Fans, held next month, outside of Chicago, is always a fun weekend.
I've been going for many years and have met some very interesting people.
"Are you a local?" LOL
The Fest for Beatles Fans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-08 21:46 by 3DTeafoe.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 8, 2010 23:03

Always love this guy.................... Congrats Ringo

Date: July 8, 2010 23:12

Sounds like quite a show last night. [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 8, 2010 23:14

Happy birthday Ringo!

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 11, 2010 08:09

Just got back from Ringo's concert here in Atlanta, and I have to say that the best word to describe the evening is FUN. What a fun show, a sing-a-along from the opening to the end, and a concert that is designed to have everyone leave the arena smiling.

The show opened with "It Don't Come Easy," which brought the Chastain Park crowd to its feet, and the hits continued juke box style from that point on.

Killer line up this year, with Edgar Winter who performed "Free Ride" and "Frankenstein," playing keyboards,sax,and percussion....., Rick Derringer, who played "Hang On Sloopy" and "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo"....Gary Wright ("Dream Weaver" and "Love is Alive" ),.... Richard Page of Mr. Mister ("Kyrie" and "Broken Wings," and, surprisingly, one of the best singing performance of the evening).... Wally Palmar of the Romantics (who played "Talking in Your Sleep" and "What I Like About You" )..... and session drummer Gregg Bissonette.

Ringo performed six Beatles songs, which were "Honey Don't," "Act Naturally," "I Wanna Be Your Man," "Boys," "Yellow Submarine," and, of course, "With a Little Help From My Friends" (which segued into "Give Peace a Chance" ). Solo Ringo tunes other than "It Don't Come Easy" were "Back Off Boogaloo," "Photograph," "Choose Love," and two tunes from his new album, "Y Not," which were "The Other Side of Liverpool" and "Peace Dream."

Ringo was in fine voice and great spirits, and the pacing of the show was well done. He started off singing the first two tunes up front, moving to the drum set in the middle of "Choose Love," and alternating back in forth from time to time. Gregg Bissonette did the lion's share of drumming for the night, sometimes with Ringo just keeping a beat or accenting certain parts here and there. As a drummer, I noticed that they have rehearsed some fills to play together so as not to step on each other. It was also interesting to me that Ringo did not at any point play drums on a tune 100% by himself.......Bissonette was there the whole time so that Ringo could just sort of lay a part on top, and it worked out fine.

My only complaint was after the 22 song set, the show ended without an encore. It would have been nice to have Ringo come out one more time to sing a tune such as "Octopus's Garden." Still, a fine show, and, at the ripe old age of 70, a splendid time is guaranteed for all. I'm excited because, with this show, I have now seen three Beatles live, and that's cool for a lifetime fan at the age of 55.

If you are a Beatles fan, be sure to catch this show before it winds down in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 11, 2010 13:08

He looks great for 70 and all the health issues he had in the past. Well done!

Congrats!

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: July 11, 2010 19:37

Just do not send him anything to autograph!

Date: July 11, 2010 22:57

Ringo might be good. But I would recommend going to see McCartney on his current tour. He kicked off the U.S. leg last night in San Francisco. Great show. Same setlist he has been playing,altough he threw in San Francisco Bay Blues for teh local crowd.....And his band is all star caliber as well. They're tighter than cun's nunt.cool smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 12, 2010 23:30

Sounds great, Mongoose.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: July 13, 2010 00:35

Beelyboy
sweetcharmedlife
Paul McCartney joined Ringo on stage at Radio City Music Hall tonight and did the old Beatles song Birthday.[maccaboard.devstars.eu]

wow that's GREAT! that's just so cool. that was a moment i'm sure. wow.

i liked Ringo in that session, felt sorry for the accuired musicians, having to play this silly song with MR Paul.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 14, 2010 21:42

Not to hijack Ringo's B'day, but here I go.
I just got back from McCartney's Salt Lake City show, and all I can say is WOW! First, I attended the sound check, which clocked in around 1 hour and 45 minutes. McCartney was so friendly and warm. Engaging the small group of us, joking and working hard. He played several songs that were not on the evening's set list. It's So Easy (Holly), Midnight Special, C Moon, Great Day (an incredible surprise!), and several cool instrumentals/jams. The stadium is beautiful and open air, and when we first were ushered in we were sitting near the mixing tent, and we were boiling in the Utah sun. Macca kindly joked that we were "boiling" and invited us closer to the stage in the shade. I was told that this is rare and we were the closest that he has ever had fans come to the sound check.
So he does his "sound check" for close to two hours and then played that evening for us for close to THREE HOURS! Amazing! For a 68 year old road warrior he just is other worldly. How? There were only a few times his voice cracked, but for the most part he sang effortlessly hitting all the high and low notes with ease. Especially, on My Love at the end! I was sitting fifth row center and was able to totally focus on Macca and was just blown away. Some highlights for me were my first time seeing Letting Go! It sounded like a tribute to Lennon with raunchy guitars and great harmonies. Also 1985 was stunning. And the opening Rock Show was such a great tribute to The Wings and their tours of Europe and the US when they opened every show with ROck Show/Jet, and Macca did just that yesterday evening. Rock Show was a song they worked on a bit during the sound check, joking and at one point the drummer asked for the iPod to crank out the original and they stood nose to nose listening to the original then working on a guitar part. AMAZING!
So if you get a chance to see him on the Up and Coming Tour, DO IT! The man is simply amazing!

Sound Check Set list:
'Utah Jam' ('Utah you are Beee-utah'), 'Honey Hush,' 'Honey Don't,' 'Coming Up,' 'Birthday,' 'Rock Show' (inst. several times), "Venus & Mars'/'Rock Show' (with reggae ending), 'Only Mama Knows,' 'Drive My Car,' 'Celebration' with vocals, 'I'm Looking Through You,' a truncated version of Universal Here, Everlasting Now (Fireman), 'C Moon,' 'It's So Easy' (with reprise), 'Midnight Special,' 'Things We Said Today,' 'Ram On,' 'Something,' Great Day!, 'Yesterday.'"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-15 00:40 by whitem8.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: July 15, 2010 05:30

he was always my fav.....music aside
NO NO NO song,
Photograph...and of course Yellow submarine(yikes), i believe he had more number ones then any of the other ex-bugs

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 15, 2010 05:36

Peace, Love and Bobby Sherman!!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 15, 2010 05:57

tat2you
he was always my fav.....music aside
NO NO NO song,
Photograph...and of course Yellow submarine(yikes), i believe he had more number ones then any of the other ex-bugs

Ringo has had two #1 hits in the U.S.; "Photograph" and "You're Sixteen". John had two, George had three, Paul has had NINE.

Date: July 15, 2010 06:07

whitem8
Not to hijack Ringo's B'day, but here I go.
I just got back from McCartney's Salt Lake City show, and all I can say is WOW! First, I attended the sound check, which clocked in around 1 hour and 45 minutes. McCartney was so friendly and warm. Engaging the small group of us, joking and working hard. He played several songs that were not on the evening's set list. It's So Easy (Holly), Midnight Special, C Moon, Great Day (an incredible surprise!), and several cool instrumentals/jams. The stadium is beautiful and open air, and when we first were ushered in we were sitting near the mixing tent, and we were boiling in the Utah sun. Macca kindly joked that we were "boiling" and invited us closer to the stage in the shade. I was told that this is rare and we were the closest that he has ever had fans come to the sound check.
So he does his "sound check" for close to two hours and then played that evening for us for close to THREE HOURS! Amazing! For a 68 year old road warrior he just is other worldly. How? There were only a few times his voice cracked, but for the most part he sang effortlessly hitting all the high and low notes with ease. Especially, on My Love at the end! I was sitting fifth row center and was able to totally focus on Macca and was just blown away. Some highlights for me were my first time seeing Letting Go! It sounded like a tribute to Lennon with raunchy guitars and great harmonies. Also 1985 was stunning. And the opening Rock Show was such a great tribute to The Wings and their tours of Europe and the US when they opened every show with ROck Show/Jet, and Macca did just that yesterday evening. Rock Show was a song they worked on a bit during the sound check, joking and at one point the drummer asked for the iPod to crank out the original and they stood nose to nose listening to the original then working on a guitar part. AMAZING!
So if you get a chance to see him on the Up and Coming Tour, DO IT! The man is simply amazing!

Sound Check Set list:
'Utah Jam' ('Utah you are Beee-utah'), 'Honey Hush,' 'Honey Don't,' 'Coming Up,' 'Birthday,' 'Rock Show' (inst. several times), "Venus & Mars'/'Rock Show' (with reggae ending), 'Only Mama Knows,' 'Drive My Car,' 'Celebration' with vocals, 'I'm Looking Through You,' a truncated version of Universal Here, Everlasting Now (Fireman), 'C Moon,' 'It's So Easy' (with reprise), 'Midnight Special,' 'Things We Said Today,' 'Ram On,' 'Something,' Great Day!, 'Yesterday.'"
Wow,how cool you got to see the soundcheck. Yeah Paul's soundcheck's have been widely reported and are gaining some legendary status. My only little quibble with his tour is that he rarely does any of the soundcheck songs in his live show and I wish he would shake the setlist up a tad. Although in England he did do Ram On by request one night and threw in a lovely version of San Francisco Bay Blues last saturday.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 19, 2012 07:38

I love Ringo, but he says "Peace and love" so much it borders on OCD.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 20, 2012 01:18

Title5Take1
I love Ringo, but he says "Peace and love" so much it borders on OCD.

And his peace signs. Give it up Ring. By the way another CD coming out real soon.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 20, 2012 07:36

Yes...Ringo looks darn good for 70 that's for sure...but over the last 40 years..he hasn't been on the road like our favorite band...

Like sports fans in the U.S. argueing over football quarterbacks...if you don't have good receivers and you don't have good running backs and you don't have a good offensive line...if you are the most talented dude in the world...you ain't going to be good...and you will get old looking fast.

I have absolutley no idea what the above analogy I wrote means...but I think it means...it's easy to look good when you don't have the rigors of the life of most people and you haven't endured an extra 40 years on the road like the Stones did.

My vote:...in 1981 Charlie looked the oldest/worst.

In 2011/2012...Charlie looks the best.

So there it is...Charlie w/45+ years of touring vs Ringo w/5 years + easy stuff post Beatles...

I vote..."CHARLIE WATTS"!

You decide.

Pecman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-20 07:38 by Pecman.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 20, 2012 07:45

Ringo has been on the road quite a bit actually. His Ringo Allstars tour, google it. The guy though stopped drinking and is a vegetarian for years now.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 20, 2012 07:55

Yes, I know...but there is a difference charging $30 something bucks for a lawn ticket in Middletown N.J. verse charging $350 a seat at MSG in NYC...and all it takes to get there...a little bit more pressure...

Don't get me wrong...I would love to be Ringo and hopefully look as great as he does at 70...

Congratulations Ringo...and for the record..I don't own 1 Beatles CD.

PECMAN

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 20, 2012 08:22

whitem8
Ringo has been on the road quite a bit actually. His Ringo Allstars tour, google it. The guy though stopped drinking and is a vegetarian for years now.

In an interview a few years ago, Dingo said bacon was the vegetarian's biggest weakness. I'd love to dangle a few slices in front of him and say "Tell me about the recording of the White Album." He does look quite good for 71, though.
He has a granddaughter that's almost 30!

Date: January 20, 2012 13:43

A Granddaughters of Beatles Tour would bring joy to millions!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 20, 2012 18:55

all you need to know

Date: January 21, 2012 02:16

hbwriter
all you need to know

What I find amazing about this is that as recently as 2008 Ringo Starr actually did answer his fan mail. How many other people as famous as Ringo do that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-21 02:52 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home