Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
please delete this thread
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 21, 2010 17:56

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-27 19:18 by His Majesty.

Re: Aftermath - Between The Buttons
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:12

Aftermath.

Buttons blows - compared to Aftermath, that is.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:42

I love both...And i think you need both...Get the remastered sacd versions....GREAT Albums..Both are hot and i also agree with Keith
when he says Connection is a great rocker...

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:44

Between the Buttons

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:48

Buttons

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:51

Aftermath is the Stones' greatest pre-Beggars album.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:54

aftermath

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 21, 2010 19:03

Aftermath! In the past 5 years, I've listened to it more often than the supposed "Big 4."

Buttons does have the better cover, though.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: May 21, 2010 19:14

I love both..thumbs upthumbs up

i did my own with bonus trax..(only released trax)

Date: May 21, 2010 19:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-27 19:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: May 21, 2010 19:51

Aftermath ...
Sounds like a more polished LP
good varitey of material

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 21, 2010 20:07

HM, to answer your question (the better showcase for their 60's pop period) I would say: Buttons. But Aftermath is great as well. When I lived in The Hague (I was about 20 years old) I had a very nice apartment in the centre of the city, with big windows to the street side. I just had bought a new stereo set (on credit while I was a poor student, but I couldn't resist) and when the weather was good I used to open my windows fully and then blast Aftermath, so that everyone who passed by could hear it. I got very nice comments and quite some people stayed listening for a while!

I still use those 35 years old Philips speakers and they're still great (even audiophiles have to admit that; well, thanks to my very clever and technically very highly schooled brother). And of course I still listen to both albums, but more to Buttons than to Aftermath.

Date: May 21, 2010 20:15

Thanks Kleermaker, nice story there! smiling smiley

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 20:21

They are both precious but Aftermath is stronger

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 21, 2010 20:32

I would say none of them.

For me the "pop" era of the Stones is all in their hit singles.

From this point of view, probably, the US releases are more representative.

As I see it, on one hand they were not ready yet for compositions in LP format that were not a collection of singles, and on the other they kept the big ones for 45 releases.

I've always seen Aftermath as an early, still a lttle immature, version of Banquet. Sort of a work in progress. Save Lady Jane, which in any case doesn't fit the mood of the album, none of its songs have the richness and complexity of the hit singles of that era.

Buttons is a gem by itself. Like Satanic. Two great experimental albums and more mature LPs than aftermath. Lots of good songs, but, not so strong out of the context of the album and in line with the mood of the singles.

This is also the reason why I can't listen to the US versions, because the hit singles that were included in the set are clearly something else compared to the rest of the album.

C

Does any of the above make sense? If not, try to understand my personal drama these days ... there is a serious possibility that after 45 years Inter may win the cup ...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 21:23

Form a UK perspective, Between the Buttons hands down. Aftermath US IMO is far superior to the UK version, but I know that I am VERY much in the minority here on that point! smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2010 21:57

liddas
I would say none of them.

For me the "pop" era of the Stones is all in their hit singles.

From this point of view, probably, the US releases are more representative.

As I see it, on one hand they were not ready yet for compositions in LP format that were not a collection of singles, and on the other they kept the big ones for 45 releases.

I've always seen Aftermath as an early, still a lttle immature, version of Banquet. Sort of a work in progress. Save Lady Jane, which in any case doesn't fit the mood of the album, none of its songs have the richness and complexity of the hit singles of that era.

Buttons is a gem by itself. Like Satanic. Two great experimental albums and more mature LPs than aftermath. Lots of good songs, but, not so strong out of the context of the album and in line with the mood of the singles.

This is also the reason why I can't listen to the US versions, because the hit singles that were included in the set are clearly something else compared to the rest of the album.

C

Does any of the above make sense? If not, try to understand my personal drama these days ... there is a serious possibility that after 45 years Inter may win the cup ...

So from that perspective, and I agree, 'High Tide & Green Grass' should be the choice.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:08

hot stuff
I love both...And i think you need both...Get the remastered sacd versions....GREAT Albums..Both are hot and i also agree with Keith
when he says Connection is a great rocker...
i agree, i tend to play one after the other

Date: May 22, 2010 00:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-27 19:16 by His Majesty.

Date: May 22, 2010 00:19

Buttons was my first Stones album. So I like it already. But I think the songs are more unique; have more identity within the album itself. E.g. Cool Calm Collected is a far more different animal than Complicated, as opposed to It's not Easy and Flight 505. Not that this is a criteria for better and worse, but it shows more of an evolving as writers and producers. And this mean a lot in those early years of becoming.
I get the feeling that Jagger's lyrics are very much about the band and their lives itself at the epicenter of Swingin London.
While I like Aftermath a lot, I think the production might be the weakest point.

And btw it has to be the UK versions IMO. some may say there is only a difference of two songs, but IMO it makes a humongous difference in the identity of these albums.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2010 00:26

Aftermath UK all the way .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 22, 2010 00:39

Aftermath UK, but I have to admit that I listen to Buttons more then After lately

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 22, 2010 00:45

Between The Buttons (UK) all the way...

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 22, 2010 02:35

Both have some weak songs and both have some songs which are among the best the Stones have ever done - Ruby Tuesday, Under My Thumb, etc.

For me Out Of Our Heads is better than both of them.

Date: May 22, 2010 02:58

I had an earlier post and wrote why I think Buttons is better. I have since listened to Aftermath, and -yes I stand by my post - but Aftermath is one freakin good album. I like side 2 (UK version) a LOT, with all the short songs; all pretty obscure. I think Side 2 flows better for that reason. On side 1 you have the hits, you have the looooong one, preceded by the weird little number "Doncha Bother me".

Date: May 22, 2010 03:53

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-27 19:17 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 22, 2010 03:56

Aftermath without a shadow of a doubt. It has ties to their r'n'b past but it's the start of that great pre-psychedlic London pop sound. It's their Rubber Soul.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 22, 2010 06:06

His Majesty
terraplane
Both have some weak songs and both have some songs which are among the best the Stones have ever done - Ruby Tuesday, Under My Thumb, etc.

For me Out Of Our Heads is better than both of them.

Ruby Tuesday ain't on the UK version, but I agree the two tracks you mention are amongst the best things they've done. smiling smiley

Hehe yeah I figured that was the case but I was a bit too lazy to look it up.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 22, 2010 06:28

Aftermath UK.
Between has its moments, but sound too distinctly English for the Stones, they were sounding more like The Kinks on that one. Not bad, but I prefer Aftermath. More of an edge to it, and some of their most iconic songs...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 22, 2010 09:43

I am a pop-music fan – and IMO, Between the Buttons is their greatest pure pop record. Aftermath is a little dull in places.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-22 10:03 by Big Al.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home