Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Prince Declares the Internet Is Dead
Date: July 7, 2010 23:03

stones77
to be sure what passes for 'R & B' or rock these days certainly sucks, most 'performers' need autotuners and gadgets and gizmos just to sound half-assed, which doesn't matter anyway since their songs are so terrible

you just can't compare todays's 'R&B' acts to Sam Cooke, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Ray Charles, Patti LaBelle etc etc etc; these people really had soul ..

Prince? I don't know where he fits in but I can't stand him or his music; never could.. sometime years ago he announced himself a 'musical genius.' I was like, that's great but I don't give a sh*t.

I've yet to hear anything that impresses me from Prince, self described genius or not. Yeah, he can play, but not all that great. And as far as his soloing, I remember seeing a live concert on TV once where he was playing a solo, making all kinds of distorted faces. I was thinking, it doesn't really look like he's playing that, and sure enough behind him was some other guy playing the solo, but acting real calm like he was trying to hide that he was playing the solo. Lame. Prince should change his name from whatever dumb symbol it is these days to 'Irrelevant."

prince is certainly playing the solo here:

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 7, 2010 23:14

keefriffhard4life
dcba
His "genius" was to offer a sanitized version of black music to white audiences. In other words James Brown or Clinton were too black, they had smelly armpits, they were not "clean", but they were talented.

Prince's armpits smelt like lilac so he was a cross-over artist and he became the soundtrack of the Yuppie's 80's. Clean funk (an oxymoron) clean soul, clean artist, no drugs nor "I'm black and I'm proud", good stuff for MTV.

And guess what? When the 80's died, Prince died too. In the 90's he limped on half-baked albums, noone cared about except his hardcore/blind fans. Now that he's back to a semi-anonymous state, he blames the whole world for it. Sad...

yup his songs are so clean. nothing more family friendly than songs such as "sexy m.f.", "gett off", "cream", "pussy control", "orgasm", "soft and wet", "head", 'do me,baby", "jack u off", "loose", and many more. with songs like that he should be writing kids books

Keef, mate, you're slipping. You're forgetting Darling Nikki, which Tipper Gore (Al's soon to be ex-wife) heard her pre-teen daughter playing one night, and promptly kickstarted the movement to label music with those 'Explicit' stickers.

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: July 7, 2010 23:15

Dear Prince,

If the Internet is dead, how do companies like HP, IBM, Oracle, Cisco, etc. make their billions of dollars selling gear?

What a nutcase Prince is. Comparing MTV to the internet....LOL.

Mark

Date: July 7, 2010 23:20

Nikolai
keefriffhard4life
dcba
His "genius" was to offer a sanitized version of black music to white audiences. In other words James Brown or Clinton were too black, they had smelly armpits, they were not "clean", but they were talented.

Prince's armpits smelt like lilac so he was a cross-over artist and he became the soundtrack of the Yuppie's 80's. Clean funk (an oxymoron) clean soul, clean artist, no drugs nor "I'm black and I'm proud", good stuff for MTV.

And guess what? When the 80's died, Prince died too. In the 90's he limped on half-baked albums, noone cared about except his hardcore/blind fans. Now that he's back to a semi-anonymous state, he blames the whole world for it. Sad...

yup his songs are so clean. nothing more family friendly than songs such as "sexy m.f.", "gett off", "cream", "pussy control", "orgasm", "soft and wet", "head", 'do me,baby", "jack u off", "loose", and many more. with songs like that he should be writing kids books

Keef, mate, you're slipping. You're forgetting Darling Nikki, which Tipper Gore (Al's soon to be ex-wife) heard her pre-teen daughter playing one night, and promptly kickstarted the movement to label music with those 'Explicit' stickers.

theres a few more i forgot but i'd be here all day naming his explicit tunes

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 7, 2010 23:33

he just headlined the roskilde fest and the reports i got were that he blew everyone to smithereens....

The dirty lil' rat ..... remote or self detonated?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 7, 2010 23:35

Can I say that "Purple Rain" was the most overrated, silliest, egotistical film ever made (at least with such a large budget). A bunch of teenage fantasies on celluloid: he's the coolest guy in town; he's the leader of the band, he rides a cool motorcycle (and rides off on it with the hot chick); he triumphs over his bandleader rival, he protects his Mom from his abusive Dad. I can't believe how many people fawned over this piece of junk when it came out. At least the Guns 'N Roses video with the dolphins was shorter.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: July 7, 2010 23:41

71Tele
Can I say that "Purple Rain" was the most overrated, silliest, egotistical film ever made (at least with such a large budget). A bunch of teenage fantasies on celluloid: he's the coolest guy in town; he's the leader of the band, he rides a cool motorcycle (and rides off on it with the hot chick); he triumphs over his bandleader rival, he protects his Mom from his abusive Dad. I can't believe how many people fawned over this piece of junk when it came out. At least the Guns 'N Roses video with the dolphins was shorter.

The soundtrack album might have had something to do with it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 7, 2010 23:42

ringo bashing and prince dissing - all in a day's work here at iorr...

Date: July 7, 2010 23:48

CaledonianGonzo
71Tele

Then he's a very talented musician who made a stupid, egotistical, self-involved movie.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 7, 2010 23:50

71Tele
CaledonianGonzo
71Tele

Then he's a very talented musician who made a stupid, egotistical, self-involved movie.

or three.....

Date: July 7, 2010 23:53

prince is the only artist in history who had the number movie, album and single in the united states the exact same week

Date: July 8, 2010 00:21

keefriffhard4life
prince is the only artist in history who had the number movie, album and single in the united states the exact same week

Wow. Sorry. The movie was brilliant then.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 8, 2010 00:47

keefriffhard4life

he's also the only one i know of that changed his name to a symbol....and then changed it back.

dare i say the movie was as bad as Jagger's movie...Running Out of Luck.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2010 00:57

sweet neo con
keefriffhard4life

he's also the only one i know of that changed his name to a symbol....and then changed it back.

Unfortunately, as bad as Purple Rain was, sadly, Running Out of Luck was worse.

ALTHOUGH, I did enjoy the scene of Mick lip sync'ing and slapping his knee to a bemused record store attendant, what was it, to Brown Sugar...I'm going back 25 years ago and doing this from memory. He was trying to find a Stones record but all he came across was Julio Iglesius.

Didn't he call himself Micky Jaggero or something?

Can I get some independent verification on this, to help substantiate?

That was a self-deprecating and hysterical moment in "mickstory".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2010 01:00

StonesTod

you've forgotten about the "sheryl-crowing". or maybe you missed that thread.

Date: July 8, 2010 01:03

sweet neo con
keefriffhard4life

yup legally changed his name. it was a smart way to get out of what he felt was a bad recording contract. when his contract with WB records was up he changed it back

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 8, 2010 01:45

treaclefingers
StonesTod

you've forgotten about the "sheryl-crowing". or maybe you missed that thread.

that was in yesterday's edition. can't wait for tomorrow's ceremonial, uncalled for bashing....

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 8, 2010 02:06

...video killed the radio song...internet killed MTV.....social networks....

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 8, 2010 02:11

prince is certainly playing the solo here:

he is, and it's not all that great, either; alot of showboating is about it

here is how the solo for that song is supposed to be played, hell even the other guy, the other guy that's not even jeff healey (never mind that he's fricken blind) whose name I don't even know, is a better soloist than Prince

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-08 02:14 by stones77.

Date: July 8, 2010 02:15

hold on, here is how the solo is supposed to be played?????? so now every song has a set solo and anyone who does the song is supposed to play it the way it was on the album? thats a damn riot considering no one in the stones can even play a solo much less play it exactly as it was recorded. eric clapton has mentioned that prince is one of the best guitar players around today, do i trust you over eric clapton?

Date: July 8, 2010 03:03

Never saw "Running Out Of Luck" (fortunately, I guess...) Mick's movie career has never really taken off, has it? Must be one of his few great disappointments.

Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: July 8, 2010 03:12

Proof that Miss You doesn't have to suck live. And check out the Mick impression.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 8, 2010 03:19

here is how the solo is supposed to be played?????? so now every song has a set solo and anyone who does the song is supposed to play it the way it was on the album? thats a damn riot considering no one in the stones can even play a solo.. eric clapton has mentioned that prince is one of the best guitar players around today, do i trust you over eric clapton?

- - 'should be played' was a euphemism for playing it without the overbearing showboating

prince or jeff healey as a guitarist..hmmm..let me think

no wait, that one's a no brainer. .. and the better one couldnt even see

clapton also said stevie ray vaughan was one of the best guitar players around - that time he was right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-08 03:24 by stones77.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 8, 2010 03:44

treaclefingers

ALTHOUGH, I did enjoy the scene of Mick lip sync'ing and slapping his knee to a bemused record store attendant, what was it, to Brown Sugar...I'm going back 25 years ago and doing this from memory. He was trying to find a Stones record but all he came across was Julio Iglesius.

Didn't he call himself Micky Jaggero or something?

Can I get some independent verification on this, to help substantiate?

That was a self-deprecating and hysterical moment in "mickstory".

not sure about the Julio Iglesias bit (can't remember)....but i believe you are
correct on the rest. one of our fellow IORRers uses "mickijaggero" (sp?) as his alias.

and don't forget the rae dawn chong love scene. confused smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 8, 2010 05:30

71Tele
Can I say that "Purple Rain" was the most overrated, silliest, egotistical film ever made (at least with such a large budget). A bunch of teenage fantasies on celluloid: he's the coolest guy in town; he's the leader of the band, he rides a cool motorcycle (and rides off on it with the hot chick); he triumphs over his bandleader rival, he protects his Mom from his abusive Dad.

Never seen it, but now I kinda want to (LOL).

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: July 8, 2010 06:00

sweet neo con
and don't forget the rae dawn chong love scene. confused smiley

That's my favorite part. smiling bouncing smileythumbs upgrinning smiley

Date: July 8, 2010 06:12

tatters
71Tele
Can I say that "Purple Rain" was the most overrated, silliest, egotistical film ever made (at least with such a large budget). A bunch of teenage fantasies on celluloid: he's the coolest guy in town; he's the leader of the band, he rides a cool motorcycle (and rides off on it with the hot chick); he triumphs over his bandleader rival, he protects his Mom from his abusive Dad.

Never seen it, but now I kinda want to (LOL).

It's very entertaining, maybe not in the way the Purple One intended. Purple Spinal Tap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-08 07:44 by 71Tele.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 8, 2010 06:38

And we haven't even mentioned Under a Cherry Moon!

Pintsize Princess only declares the Internet dead because he has run out of ways to exploit it. He ran out of worthwhile ideas after Sign o' the Times and has flogged half-baked retreads of those ideas ever since.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 8, 2010 06:52

it might not be dead but it sure smells funny

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home