Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Mick Taylor Gets Some Respect
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 7, 2010 21:27

the furthur tour is in ottawa today - further furthur dates in the Northeast through the summer....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 7, 2010 21:29

MTaylor, this is staggering I know, but I actually agreed with your last post.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 7, 2010 21:41

just a report. i've seen the rolling stones with mick taylor several times. i was never close to bored. in fact, i can't recall one other show amidst hundreds if not thousands of diverse wonderful amazing world class acts of every kind, that could touch the brilliance and power of those shows. nobody ever touched that. nobody. not the who or zep in their primes and i've seen those tours too. nobody. not the faces in a theatre in 71. nor zep full power late sixties...not who before or after tommy; nobody. nobody. beats. that. and the albums they were touring too; mick taylor: guitar. keith richards: guitar. bill wyman: bass. charlie watts: drums. mick jagger: vocals. ian stewart and nicky hopkins: piano. horns: bobby keys and jim horn.

can't beat it. you just can't. did u have to BE there? i dunno. mebbe. mebbe so.
i'd like to think not. it worked as a 'band' as a 'unit' it was all together. we can seperate and discuss it up it's own ass, and we will, but it worked. bleed thru soup especially the fat stuff in the middle. that sealed the deal and hit the heights. no doubt.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 7, 2010 21:45

Beelyboy
just a report. i've seen the rolling stones with mick taylor several times. i was never close to bored. in fact, i can't recall one other show amidst hundreds if not thousands of diverse wonderful amazing world class acts of every kind, that could touch the brilliance and power of those shows. nobody ever touched that. nobody. not the who or zep in their primes and i've seen those tours too. nobody. not the faces in a theatre in 71. nor zep full power late sixties...not who before or after tommy; nobody. nobody. beats. that. and the albums they were touring too; mick taylor: guitar. keith richards: guitar. bill wyman: bass. charlie watts: drums. mick jagger: vocals. ian stewart and nicky hopkins: piano. horns: bobby keys and jim horn.

can't beat it. you just can't. did u have to BE there? i dunno. mebbe. mebbe so.
i'd like to think not. it worked as a 'band' as a 'unit' it was all together. we can seperate and discuss it up it's own ass, and we will, but it worked. bleed thru soup especially the fat stuff in the middle. that sealed the deal and hit the heights. no doubt.

As someone who has also seen and heard them all, I agree 100% Beelyboy.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 7, 2010 21:47

crumbling_mice
mitchflorida

The most intriguing solution for the Mick Taylor/Ronnie Woods "dilemma" is this:

For their next studio album and world tour, bring back Mick Taylor on lead guitar, and hand the bass guitar to Ronnie Wood. It would be the best of both worlds and bring back the magic to the Rolling Stones.

Mitch - you've nailed it, have Taylor and Wood, as you correctly point out, Woody is a decent bassist as is Taylor actually and they could interchange...now that would be the ancient art of weaving...I seriously think there is some mileage in this for any further tours.

Well, this brings in a couple of interesting questions. First of all, can Mick Taylor still play virtuoso guitar, or has he lost it? I haven't been following him that closely recently.

Assuming that he is still a world-class guitarist and won't embarrass himself, this seems like a natural. Mick and Keith like to tour for mainly one thing, and it is called $$$. This would bring out the older Stones fans from long ago, if the new group can deliver the goods. Meaning huge crowds at the concerts. Heck, even I might be interested.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 7, 2010 21:58

mitchflorida
crumbling_mice
mitchflorida

The most intriguing solution for the Mick Taylor/Ronnie Woods "dilemma" is this:

For their next studio album and world tour, bring back Mick Taylor on lead guitar, and hand the bass guitar to Ronnie Wood. It would be the best of both worlds and bring back the magic to the Rolling Stones.

Mitch - you've nailed it, have Taylor and Wood, as you correctly point out, Woody is a decent bassist as is Taylor actually and they could interchange...now that would be the ancient art of weaving...I seriously think there is some mileage in this for any further tours.

Well, this brings in a couple of interesting questions. First of all, can Mick Taylor still play virtuoso guitar, or has he lost it? I haven't been following him that closely recently.

Assuming that he is still a world-class guitarist and won't embarrass himself, this seems like a natural. Mick and Keith like to tour for mainly one thing, and it is called $$$. This would bring out the older Stones fans from long ago, if the new group can deliver the goods. Meaning huge crowds at the concerts. Heck, even I might be interested.

you are quite the funny one. taylor might be worth a dozen or so extra ticket sales per concert. hey, but at 100 shows - that's well over one thousand!!! wow!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 7, 2010 22:37

Lot's of interesting comments here...

#1) I think Taylor can write songs!!! Keith wasn't in the studio for: Sway, Moonlite Mile, Winter, Hide your love - not going to go thru the laundry list of solo numbers he's written on his releases but some rank right there with anything Ronnie, Keith or Jagger have put out lately.

Taylor has mentioned, many times he would like to record or sit-in on a concert
with the Stones - to whoever asked that question.

And that comment that Taylor started using drugs AFTER the Stones (come on)
he was Keith's smack buddy and went into the hospital during IORR sessions for
treatment, also the reason he split with Jack Bruce, Jack didn't want any
shooting-up in recording sessions, they fought and Taylor walked out..

And like beely - I saw the Taylor lineup (3) times - nobody was ever better!!
MLC

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 7, 2010 22:52

This says it very well - Taylor's drug problems being with Stones:

Sanchez wrote that Taylor had gone from being an innocent to becoming someone who had snorted so much cocaine that he needed to have his nasal septum replaced with a plastic partition. Philip Norman, in SYMPHONY FOR THE DEVIL, concurred with the idea that drugs were a large part of Taylor’s exit: “...(Taylor) was now a heroin addict, though, he says, not quite past the threshold to permanent enslavement. Mick Taylor, in effect, was running for his life.” Sanchez sums up the situation with a picture that too many fans still have: “He (Taylor) slid quietly away, married Rose, lived in a cottage with honeysuckle around the door near Rye in Sussex and rehearsed with jack Bruce...The last time I saw Mick he had split from Bruce, his marriage was in tatters, he was living with a lady who pushed cocaine for a living and he had been reduced to selling off his gold discs.” It is true that in January 1976, Mick had sold his gold disc for IT’S ONLY ROCK’N’ ROLL for 75 pounds at Bonhams’ Auction House in Chelsea. Taylor has admitted that his post-Stones drug problems were intense, but declares that they were not a problem while he was with the band. He has never cited them as his reason for leaving.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 7, 2010 22:59

Shreveport, LA as opposed to New Orleans - now that's further and further. Shit, it's almost all the way to Texas.

Alas, they can't sell HALF of the tickets available in New Orleans as it is, Shreveport would be just as bad.

And Mick Taylor being on board would not increase ticket sales. What kind of log - oops, nevermind.

Date: July 7, 2010 23:17

Skipstone,

Please read my post more carefully. I said that if the Stones record a new album with Mick Taylor and "IF THEY DELIVER THE GOODS" with a good album as a result, then having MT in the group would make a big impact on ticket sales. The boys are back and united . . the only one left out would be Brian Jones.

But MT would have to bring in some material of his own . . of the caliber that he has done previously . . Sway, Midnight Mile, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Time Waits for No One, the whole ball of wax. He can't just be a has-been guitarist who gets a good lick in now and then . .he has to bring back not just Mick Taylor, but some of the magic of the Mick Taylor era. A difficult task . . but hopefully MT has been waiting for this opportunity.

Frankly, MT is not a good songwriter on his own, but if he collaborates with Mick and Keith and Ronnie, who knows what might come out of it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-07 23:19 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 7, 2010 23:26

mitchflorida

But MT would have to bring in some material of his own . . of the caliber that he has done previously . . Sway, Midnight Mile, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Time Waits for No One, the whole ball of wax. He can't just be a has-been guitarist who gets a good lick in now and then . .he has to bring back not just Mick Taylor, but some of the magic of the Mick Taylor era. A difficult task . . but hopefully MT has been waiting for this opportunity.
First: Time Waits For No One has one the best solos at all. Second, not only Mick Taylor should bring some material in - the same should Jagger / Richards - they have been quite poor in songwriting the many last years....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 7, 2010 23:36

The Rolling Stones won't be making any personnel changes to the group at this stage in their careers. No point to it anyway.

Date: July 7, 2010 23:47

71Tele
The Rolling Stones won't be making any personnel changes to the group at this stage in their careers. No point to it anyway.

I wouldn't expect them to make MT a permanent member of the group. He would have to be a hired hand this time around. Maybe the Stones don't have another album within them. Another idea I would like to hear is the Stones or just Mick doing some cover versions of other people's hits . . Foxy Lady , etc. If they can't write good songs anymore, why not do some really great covers of others big hits.

Jeff Beck does a really cool dance step at 1:00

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-08 03:56 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 7, 2010 23:49

mitchflorida
71Tele

I wouldn't expect them to make MT a permanent member of the group. He would have to be a hired hand this time around. Maybe the Stones don't have another album within them. Another idea I would like to hear is the Stones or just Mick doing some cover versions of other people's hits . . Foxy Lady , etc. If they can't write good songs anymore, why not do some really great covers of others big hits.

This thread needs to be given a decent burial.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 8, 2010 00:28

Ladykiller
Mick Taylor is for me the most talented musican, who ever played in "The Rolling Stones". He plays also better guitar as Keith & Ronnie together.

Defenitly agree as being most talented guitarist who ever played in the Rolling Stones.
If you mean "most talented musician" by going by the definition of a muscian being able to have a high degree of musical skill on a wide range of different types of musical instruments, then that honor would have to go to Brian Jones.

Although to be honest, except for Beggars, Newest Hit Makers, December's Children, and the Got Live EP (not that horrible LP), I don't really listen to the Jones-era albums as much as the Taylor and Wood-era stuff, every one of my fellow guitarists will forever be indebted to Mr. Jones for introducing bottleneck blues playing to the mainstream.

Besides, when one listens to even to some of the utmost obscure Jones-era songs like "Little By Little", "I'm Moving On", "Doncha Bother Me", "Who's Driving Your Plane", and "She Said Yeah", or a bootleg from Paris 1967, one will truly understand why Brian was such an important element of this band.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 8, 2010 00:30

mitchflorida
71Tele

Oh hell, this must be the lowest point of the lowest points in any of the Stones members carreers....

Mathijs

Date: July 8, 2010 00:42

Mathijs

Oh hell, this must be the lowest point of the lowest points in any of the Stones members carreers....

Mathijs

I have no idea what you are saying. Doubt if anyone else does either.

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: July 8, 2010 00:50

I realize it's all personal preference but for my ears, what Mick Taylor did on Plundered My Soul was simply brilliant. After all those years away, he gets back in the studio with Jagger and pulls off a very beautiful guitar part. Having listened to his current band play the same setlist night after night, I would never had expected so much. But he can really step it up when he's inspired.

It's pointless to say who is better than whom.
Better to say who you prefer.
Oh, and Ron Wood's playing really sucks these days, eh?

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 8, 2010 01:19

Stevecardi - I'll go with Charlie Watts opinion.

He has stated, many times that Mick Taylor was the BEST musician that was EVER
in the band!!

MLC

Date: July 8, 2010 02:52

What Mick T did on Plundered is great.

That's the shame of it. What Ronnie did on Some Girls and Emotional Rescue and some of Tattoo You and Undercover and a song/album after here and there is great too. Not the same thing, of course, but both great works. Mick Taylor's body of work with the Stones is way more condensed and studied - overall, better songs.

Ronnie Wood's work with the Stones is stretched out over a much longer period of time, he's featured on their biggest selling album ever and also after 1983 the demise of the Jagger-Richards songwriting "team" to boot plus just not really being included (whether it's relevant or not to the song/album is a moot point). So it's probably pretty safe to say Ronnie gets a poor shake when it comes to his place in the Stones' history because it's not in line with Taylor's history - The Big Four plus the other two (although really he's hardly on Let It Bleed as it is, his first album was really Sticky).

It also doesn't help that Ronnie's been a drunk, a stoner, a heavy drug user, a bit of a mythical inventor of history (like mitchflorida) and a total jack in the box to go with his sloppy rock'n'rolling. On stage and off. Studio wise he's pretty damn good. Live he's had his moments - but he'll never be revered the way Mick Taylor is. After Some Girls, it just didn't matter anymore anyway as far as how the band was live. Being loaded was just part of the fun obviously. Besides, the entire live vibe of the Stones had totally changed. The only faint way that Ronnie could have ever been revered like Mick Taylor only could have happened if the Stones continued their level of creativity after Undercover for another album or two and then Ronnie quit.

Point is, Taylor's not in the band. I would gladly be blown away if he came back into the band. But it's just not going to happen. It's not realistic. That's the kind of shit for some computer game. The dreamers need to quit dreaming.

Would it be good for the band? I doubt it. They're not what they were in the early 1970s and some people seem to think it would just automatically get back to that level. There is a problem on the other side of the stage to deal with as it is.

Was it good for Plundered? Yes. But last I checked and read, Ronnie is still the other guitar player in The Rolling Stones and there's not ONE mention from anyone that Mick T has even been considered to come back.

The dreamers need to quit dreaming.

Would it help with ticket sales? Hell no. There might be some people who buy tickets but "some people" will buy tickets anyway. It would be different if Keith had quit after, say, Voodoo and decided to come back in '012 if they do indeed tour. Mick Taylor? Nope. Just doesn't work that way. He's not Keith Richards, he's not Jimmy Page, he's not Pete Townsend and so on. He's Mick Taylor. That era is remembered for the songs, not for the other guitar player.

Date: July 8, 2010 06:16

bernardanderson
how about a tour of the universe? rehearse in Toronto, first show Jupiter

They should start with a tour of Uranus.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Date: July 8, 2010 06:18

Beelyboy

That's when weaving was really weaving.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 8, 2010 06:23

Man, I can't believe people seriously think Mick Taylor will be asked to replace Ronnie. As much as I would like it, there is no way it will happen... I realised all this back when Bill Wyma nquit the band and they didn't "officially" replace him (obviously for monetary reasons)... Daryl Jones should tell them to stick it, by the way... The Stones is a business these days, selling tickets to middle aged folks who want to see an "event". If they tour again, Taylor might might a couple of cameos, but I don't see anything in The Stones' history to indicate they will provide a larger role for him than that.

Date: July 8, 2010 06:52

"The Stones is a business these days."

The Rolling Stones have been a business ever since they first recorded a Rice Krispies commercial in 1964, meaning from the start. And I would have to say, So What?

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-08 16:39 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 8, 2010 07:06

mitchflorida
"The Stones is a business these days."

The Rolling Stones have been a business ever since they first recorded a Rice Krispies commercial in 1964, meaning from start. And I would have to say, So What?

mitchflorida I think you should try Rice Krispies yourself, the fibre might help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-08 16:59 by bolexman.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 8, 2010 14:53

mitchflorida
Mathijs

Mathijs

I have no idea what you are saying. Doubt if anyone else does either.

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." winking smiley
That says it.
Jagger and Beck are having fun.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 8, 2010 16:57

Mathijs, have you seen the version of "Foxy Lady" with Satriani from the DEEP DOWN UNDER MTV special? The version from The Country Club in 1987 with Beck is better.

Date: July 8, 2010 17:00

I think Mitchflorida is a Rice Krispy.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-08 17:14 by skipstone.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 8, 2010 17:04

bolexman
The Stones is a business these days, selling tickets to middle aged folks who want to see an "event"...
...and who want to hear the greatest hits in perfect quality without too much changes or improvising.

Date: July 8, 2010 17:09

saltoftheearth
bolexman
The Stones is a business these days, selling tickets to middle aged folks who want to see an "event"...
...and who want to hear the greatest hits in perfect quality without too much changes or improvising.

Yeah. And I wonder if they yell at people for standing up and dancing at those concerts too. When I was at a Bob Dylan gig a few years ago, I was yelled and and kicked at by people who wanted to sit down and watch the show like it was TV! Hmmm, sign of the times I guess. Or sign of the audience.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home