Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Daltrey "Hoping" For A Who Tour In 2011
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 3, 2010 17:31

Re: OT: Daltrey "Hoping" For A Who Tour In 2011
Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 3, 2010 22:41

pitiable.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 3, 2010 22:58

after their display at the Super Bowl - Hang it up guys!

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: July 3, 2010 23:11

apparently pete townshend is losing his hearing. maybe they should change the band name to The What.

thanks, folks. i'm here all week.
tip your waiter!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 3, 2010 23:34

bernardanderson
apparently pete townshend is losing his hearing. maybe they should change the band name to The What.

tip your waiter!

Now that's funny. I'm sorry, but it just is.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 3, 2010 23:47

Townsend has lost his hearing and Daltry has lost his voice. Let's hope they don't embarass themselves anymore.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 4, 2010 00:33

"Townsend has lost his hearing and Daltry has lost his voice. Let's hope they don't embarass themselves anymore."

and they've lost their drummer and bassist...

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 4, 2010 00:52

Daltry's voice is gone. Pete can still play and Zak is a great drummer. But it is time to hang it up. I can't bear to hear Roger struggling.

Then again, the Stones (esp Keith and Ronnie) are getting pretty pitiful live (and they are also down 2 members at lead guitar and bass).

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 4, 2010 01:04

hoping for a tour? he only has to ask one person.honestly that's like paul mccartney and ringo going out on the road and calling themselves the beatles

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 4, 2010 01:20

bustedtrousers
bernardanderson

tip your waiter!

It was even funnier when Townshend himself said it in the late 70's!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 4, 2010 01:26

Rock and roll isn´t supposed to be about old men and their psysical problems. Pathetic really.

Date: July 4, 2010 01:34

sweetcharmedlife
Townsend has lost his hearing and Daltry has lost his voice. Let's hope they don't embarass themselves anymore.

You spelled both their names wrong (not to mention embarrass). You must be quite the Who fan.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 4, 2010 01:51

tatters
sweetcharmedlife

You spelled both their names wrong (not to mention embarrass). You must be quite the Who fan.
I'm a big enough fan to know bad music when I hear it...And they play bad music these days....Even worse than my spelling.

Date: July 4, 2010 01:58

sweetcharmedlife
tatters
sweetcharmedlife

I'm a big enough fan to know bad music when I hear it...And they play bad music these days....Even worse than my spelling.

Yes, but at least (judging from Roger's comments) they're going to be playing it very softly.

Date: July 4, 2010 02:04

Svartmer
Rock and roll isn´t supposed to be about old men and their psysical problems. Pathetic really.

Rock and Roll will always be about how much fun it is to be a horny, drunken, stupid, teenager. It's just that the people who expressed these feelings better than anyone else ever has, or ever will, are now old men with physical problems.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 4, 2010 03:45

Gazza
bustedtrousers
bernardanderson

tip your waiter!

Damn! I can't believe out of everything I've read about him and the Who over the years, I missed him saying that. Do you know when/where he said it Gazza?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 4, 2010 06:34

Gazza
bustedtrousers
bernardanderson

tip your waiter!

Ok then, how about the Who Cares?!

or,

"The WHO-THE-FVCK-CARES!"

Sad, I used to really like this band, but they are definitely far past their moment in the sun.

Saw them in 1988 or 89...the were poor at that time, I can't even imagine an entire show like the superbowl. Very sad.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 4, 2010 08:34

Another large scale Who tour would be as bad an idea as another large scale Stones tour.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 4, 2010 10:25

pete has had tremendous difficulty with tinnitus. it has given him excruciating debilitating headaches and affected his hearing. i think it's nature is intermittent in his case as he has been performing and recording in recent years and is doing very well. i'm sure his stage set-up is very carefully arranged and miked.

i have seen the mighty Who many times in the sixties and seventies and the blasts pete was producing and exposed to were enormous dbs. enormous. unprecedented and enormous.

i think he's doing well nowadays. i thought they were great superbowl recently. never say die with some of these old masters. wanna see them up and at em as long as they can and want to...

certainly one of the most gifted producers and composers, as well as super flash enormously gifted guitar man and writer. an international treasure. protect your hearing ladies and gentlemen. tinnitius can stop you dead and leave you very damaged and uncomfortable. and it's common.

[www.hearnet.com]

Pete Townshend - "I have severe hearing damage. It's manifested itself as tinnitus, ringing in the ears at frequencies that I play guitar. It hurts, it's painful, and it's frustrating." Townshend is completely deaf in one ear from an explosion when Keith Moon blew up his drum set live on stage in the early 1960's and loud amps. He has tinnitus, resulting partly from the band's live gigs but mainly the deafening volume in which he and Entwistle used to listen to playbacks over the studio "cans." There are reports saying that he is unable even to hear his phone ring. The Sun newspaper reported Townshend said his hearing got worse after the band's recent US tour. Quote from Pete: "The recent return to touring and to me playing electric guitar - albeit more quietly than in the 1970s - led to further deterioration of my hearing," the 57-year-old said. "My right ear, which encounters my own edgy guitar and the machine gun strokes of the drums, has suffered badly. Luckily for me, I still have my left ear, which seems to be less @#%$ up. When I've worked solo in the past five years I've not used drums. This has meant I could play more quietly I think. With The Who, there is of course no way to play the old songs without drums. I've no idea what I can do about this. I am unable to perform with in-ear monitors. In fact, they increase the often unbearable tinnitus I suffer after shows." source from Sky News

[members.fortunecity.com]

Jeff Beck - band Yardbirds (loud music), From an interview with rock guitarist Jeff Beck: "Yes, it's in my left ear. It's excruciating... I mean, it's the worst thing 'cause it's not... It never... It does go away - it's not true to say that it doesn't but, uhh... It doesn't... The doctors say it won't... It isn't actually going away - you've just gotta suppress... They try to come to terms with what it actually... Why some people fear it - that's the psychology behind it. They know it's there but why is it such a horrible sound? Well, you can say why is a guy scratching at a window with his nails such a horrible sound - I couldn't put up with that! This is worse!"
As Jeff told MTV - June 1993, He was asked to do a special guest spot with Guns 'n' Roses but had to cancel out. Jeff was going to play "Locomotive" with the band, but during the rehearsals, he used Slash's amp rig which aggravated his tinnitus forcing him to drop out of the gig.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 4, 2010 12:35

Last time I saw them was at Indigo at O2 about 18 months ago and they were great.If they have a tour and they play up to that standard I will be there .>grinning smiley<

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 4, 2010 13:44

crawdaddy
Last time I saw them was at Indigo at O2 about 18 months ago and they were great.If they have a tour and they play up to that standard I will be there .>grinning smiley<

Agree. they play, I'll be there. there's life in them yet for sure.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 4, 2010 15:07

crawdaddy

I saw them in Boston in 2006 and it was actually a very good show. I'm a fan but my son wanted to see them pretty badly and he really enjoyed it. They still have their moments. Bad Who is still better than a lot of other crap out there.

Date: July 4, 2010 16:19

The Who play just fine, but Daltrey can be pretty dodgy.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 4, 2010 16:42

baxlap
The Who play just fine, but Daltrey can be pretty dodgy.

Indeed, and what is admirable about these guys is that Daltrey, for example, is big enough to admit precisely that; namely that he had difficulties with certain songs and his voice is dodgy on occasions. But as Lynd8 said, bad Who is a damm sight better than no Who at all, and a lot better than a lot of the other crap out there !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: July 4, 2010 16:59

My cynical take is that if you have enough musicians providing back up in the shadows on stage old warhorses can pull off any tour. Some fans just go to be in the same place as their heroes, the music is secondary.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: July 4, 2010 23:22

I wish I had gone to the Daltry show in Clearwater, Florida last year.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 4, 2010 23:29

bustedtrousers
Gazza
bustedtrousers
bernardanderson

tip your waiter!

Damn! I can't believe out of everything I've read about him and the Who over the years, I missed him saying that. Do you know when/where he said it Gazza?

LOL...it may have been the early 80s. I think the line was along the lines of 'we're thinking of changing our name from 'The Who' to the 'Do What?'

But yeah, its definitely been a self-deprecating remark made by the band themselves down the years.

Date: July 5, 2010 00:14

mckalk
My cynical take is that if you have enough musicians providing back up in the shadows on stage old warhorses can pull off any tour. Some fans just go to be in the same place as their heroes, the music is secondary.

The Who don't need anyone in the shadows. Musically, they've done just fine with the six-piece touring band that they've used since 2002. In addition to Townshend and Daltrey, they only need bass, drums, keyboards, and a few prerecorded synth parts that they've used for 40 years.

Although Simon Townshend's been in the touring band for eight years, his second guitar is usually barely audible. He was brought in right before Entwistle died to replace Entwistle's backing vocals.

The problem is Daltrey and his hollow bellowing. The Who need to face that Daltrey just can't sing a lot of the old catalog in the original keys anymore. They need to rethink their catalog and rearrange some songs to suit the current state of his voice.

Plenty of bands have done this without embarrassing themselves. The Led Zeppelin reunion show from 2007 was almost entirely in lower keys than the original versions. Ian Hunter has similarly reworked his catalog for live performances. Didn't the Stones do Neighbours in C instead of the original E when they broke it out in 2002?

Date: July 5, 2010 03:10

the need to do a lot of the 60's tunes where daltrey and pete sing together

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 5, 2010 03:21

Daltrey was supposed to play a theatre in Baltimore a few months ago but he cancelled because of voice problems. Who is he kidding with this tour stuff?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home