Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: How did you pick your screen name?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 22, 2020 00:28

The screws gave it to me
when I was bustin rocks on da chain-gang

ROCKMAN

Re: Silly Post - How did you pick your screen name?
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 22, 2020 02:44

The Sicilian
SomeTorontoGirl
It came to me one night when I was feeling a little bleary, worse for wear and tear...

I'm still waiting to hear those thrilling stories of when you worked at the CN tower. Did you say you worked the exterior elevator to the clouds?

Drove all the elevators, and had the chance to climb the antenna to the top (5-part ladder imside, straight up the centre). A depressing number of years ago...

Posted by: southboundtrain ()
Date: July 22, 2020 03:40

Lyric in the song "Silver Train" from an album called Goats Head Soup, which I hear they're reissuing later this year. ST was played twice in 2014 with a guitarist named Mick Taylor.

I saw the band play "Heartbreaker" in Houston in 2019, also from GHS. Criss Cross is amazing!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 22, 2020 03:44

My parents chose it. Maybe because it was my dad’s name, they gave it to me. Or, it could be just a coincidence. Anyway, it stuck.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 22, 2020 04:47

alcohol.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 22, 2020 07:20

Hot Rocks was taken

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 22, 2020 08:17

I got nasty habits.

T@3

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 22, 2020 08:24

I worked in Hollywood. Film. 24 Frames Per Second is supposed to be an approximation of life. I love the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: July 22, 2020 11:10

It's a take on 'Fancyman Blues'...one of my all-time favorite Stones' tracks. And I just happen to LOVE the Blues too.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: July 22, 2020 11:30

I'm Chris, and i'm also a big fan of jazz fusion, in particular the work of John McLaughlin and his band the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 22, 2020 12:47

My real name is Max and I am crazy about the ROLLING STONES.

Date: July 22, 2020 14:25

ChrisMahavishnu
I'm Chris, and i'm also a big fan of jazz fusion, in particular the work of John McLaughlin and his band the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

thumbs up

My ultimate guitar hero. Unfortunately he could not play in Holland this month due to the virus. Probably will never see him live again, just like the Stones (with Mick Taylor). sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 14:36 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: July 22, 2020 16:09

switchblade1975,#1 is I collect old Italian switchblades,where I live are legal to own but NOT to carry,#2 1975 is the first year that I show the Rolling Stones live in concert.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: July 22, 2020 17:44

Nellcote is the mansion that Keith Richards rented on the Cote d'Azur in southern France.
The Stones recorded much of Exile On Main Street in the basement of this house in 1971.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: July 22, 2020 18:51

I got it from the guys in the locker room at my gym. They used to tease me in the showers. I just got used to it and eventually laughed it off. But the name stuck.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 22, 2020 19:11

I was born in '74 (same birthday as Mick Taylor...different year of course), so I've always had an affinity for the IORR album and that cover art.

And figured my feelings would flood on the page (board) afterall.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 22, 2020 20:56

"Angie"-->angee.

From andee, my name, which was spelled andi before the internet, short for Andrea.

Such an interesting topic, also covered in my book and other writings.
Endlessly fascinating, I find.

(Just to add: Men with erect nipples, mentioned above. Love it.) cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-24 06:32 by angee.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 22, 2020 21:33

I used to shoplift a lot when I was a kid.

Re: Silly Post - How did you pick your screen name?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 25, 2020 07:18

SomeTorontoGirl
The Sicilian
SomeTorontoGirl
It came to me one night when I was feeling a little bleary, worse for wear and tear...

I'm still waiting to hear those thrilling stories of when you worked at the CN tower. Did you say you worked the exterior elevator to the clouds?

Drove all the elevators, and had the chance to climb the antenna to the top (5-part ladder imside, straight up the centre). A depressing number of years ago...

I'm trying to picture climbing the antenna but my mind won't let me go there. Please describe it, does it sway up there?

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 25, 2020 08:56

I am 'exiled' in Asia. Simple enough. Stoned, well.....hard to do in Singapore but won't turn down a good toke at a Stones show smileys with beer

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 25, 2020 12:05

It's my real name truncated. My real name is Thomas Casagranda. I live in Reading, Berkshire, UK. I hold a Masters in the reception of the Ancient World, a summa cum laude BA First class degree in Classics. I work for a large US-based company called Verizon, which I love, and I'm pushing 50.

There ya go.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 25, 2020 13:57

It is my own name.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 25, 2020 18:14

tomcasagranda
It's my real name truncated. My real name is Thomas Casagranda. I live in Reading, Berkshire, UK. I hold a Masters in the reception of the Ancient World, a summa cum laude BA First class degree in Classics. I work for a large US-based company called Verizon, which I love, and I'm pushing 50.

There ya go.

Ha! I'm 40 miles along the M4 in a village near Swindon.

Date: July 25, 2020 19:30

tomcasagranda

There ya go.

Are you the only person on the planet to be qualified in “the reception of the Ancient World”? Are you now working as a receptionist for your company?

Just a little good-natured joshing. Seriously, I would be interested to know more about your qualification, not that you’re under any obligation to respond.

Date: July 25, 2020 19:56

SonofHarlemShuffler
tomcasagranda

There ya go.

Are you the only person on the planet to be qualified in “the reception of the Ancient World”? Are you now working as a receptionist for your company?

Just a little good-natured joshing. Seriously, I would be interested to know more about your qualification, not that you’re under any obligation to respond.

Ha ha !

Good posting.

Now, many years back in that time-frame of the early 1990s I was at university. My BA was in Classics, majoring in Latin. I was two papers off getting a double first, missing by seven marks on Ancient Literary Theory, and Latin unseen.

BA involved Greek Epic, i.e Homer's Odyssey, Iliad, Apollonius of Rhodes' Argonautica: Roman epic involved Virgil's Aeneid, Ovid's Metamorphoses, Lucan's Pharsalia.

I also worked on Latin Love Poetry: Catullus, Propertius, Tibullus, Ovid's Amores, Ars Amatoria.

However, my BA dissertation was on Virtue & Vice In Juvenal's Satires, which I enjoyed tremendously. I'd recommend anyone to read Juvenal, as he's a great author, a bit bad tempered at times but the social commentary remains timeless.

After I did my BA, circa 1996, I went on and did a Masters in the reception of the Ancient World. That involved analysing how Greek Tragedy, i.e Euripides, Sophocles, and Aeschylus would be produced and presented in the modern world. I analysed an adaptation of Medea by Pier Paolo Passolini, likewise Oedipe Re by Pasolini too. Furthermore, I analysed a production of the Bacchae by Wole Soyinka, and Jean Anouilh's version of Antigone. Additionally, I read Hegel's exposition of Antigone, Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy, and applied them to papers on Greek Tragedy.

I also, at Masters level, looked at Rome On Film, i.e the silent Ben Hur compared to the Charlton Heston 50s version. Quo Vadis was also factored in. Additionally, I looked at 19th Century Victorians In Togas novels such as The Last Days of Pompeii by Edward Bulwer-Lytton (an awful novel by any stretch of the imagination). I also continued with a Masters degree in Roman Satire, and its accompanying influence on St Jerome.

I'm, however, not a receptionist at Verizon: I do a thing called enhanced due diligence and anti-money laundering anti-bribery corruption analysis.

However, I'm not the only Classics scholar in the world - the UK prime minister, Boris Johnson, is. Tom Hiddleston, he of Loki-fame, is also a classicist.

So, I hope that sums me up a bit.

Date: July 25, 2020 19:58

It also explains why I love Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon: I was at uni when them two came out, and still listen to them.

Date: July 25, 2020 19:59

grzegorz67
tomcasagranda

There ya go.

Ha! I'm 40 miles along the M4 in a village near Swindon.

Nice ! Some of my work buddies live there.

Date: July 25, 2020 20:03

ChrisMahavishnu

What one ? The Billy Cobham, Rick Laird, Jerry Goodman era, or the post Trident Sessions, Apocalypse era ?

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: July 25, 2020 20:15

Geez...I do not remember.

I THINK that IORR switched to a new format and the history was all erased (circa 2004)...and I had to pick a new name. Since my old one was the most perfect one possible, I decided to throw it back in the hat and take a generic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-25 20:32 by sdstonesguy.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 25, 2020 20:56

From all the voodoo unofficial stuff, I chose
the best outtake so farwinking smiley

HMN

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home