Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Archetypal Rolling Stones song...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 1, 2010 16:55

Well, as much as we complain about the warhorses in concert, a trend is developing.

Songs mentioned so far have included, Satisfaction, The Last Time, JJF, SFM, HTW, Monkey Man, Gimmer Shelter, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Start Me Up, Love Is Strong.

This is a pretty small list given the size of the catalogue.

What is also interesting, is in at least half the posts, Brown Sugar has been mentioned, usually as the top pick.

For me, this is one Stones song that it would not matter if I ever heard again, BUT, if I were to point to one song, that best described the band's sound, it would probably be Brown Sugar.

I debated JJF, Satisfaction, Rocks Off and Tumbling Dice...which could easily be substituted but Brown Sugar I think most neatly encapsulates the Stones sound.

Interesting not even a mention of Sympathy For The Devil, which is probably in my top 3, but I agree, not typical of their sound. Also, not even one ballad included for submission.

I wonder what the variety might be if we asked the same question of a Beatles song?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 1, 2010 17:01

I think it would either be Satisfaction or YCAGWYW. If you asked someone to name 1 Stones song,they probably name 1 of those 2.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: July 1, 2010 17:05

I think Stray Cat Blues also fits into this category. Love this song every time I hear it, and has the Stones fingerprint all over it.

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: July 1, 2010 17:26

Years ago my mum described Brown Sugar as "that record you keep playing that sounds like there's a party going on".

30 years later I'm stil not sure I've heard a better description......

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: July 1, 2010 17:32

I also think Brown Sugar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-01 17:32 by urbanjungle90.

Posted by: ricardosanchez ()
Date: July 1, 2010 17:32

Honky Tonk Woman

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1358
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home