Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

NOW LOOK - Woody rocks babyyyyy!
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: June 25, 2010 13:30

With the upcoming release of Woody's "I Feel Like Playing" I've been redsicovering some vintage (and quite brilliant) solo Wood!

His last two studio albums were quite good, but methinks the jewel in his solo crown are the first two. 'I've Got My Own Album To Do' was always a great one; plenty of sterling stuff on it, but only recently did I delve into 'Now Look' - what a bloody fine album it is too! Caribean Boogie, Now Look, Big Bayou', Sweet Baby Mine...etc, wonderful stuff.

Are the Woodster's solo outings revered 'round these IORR halls?

Re: NOW LOOK - Woody rocks babyyyyy!
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 25, 2010 13:37

sure really like the first 2 albums.
1234 and gomme some neck not so much.
be it, that on gimme some neck, quite a few Stones members play.
His last labums were good, looking forward to his new album

Hope that the Faces will play Holland next year, and in 2012 THE STONES (Farewell tour).

One Love

jeroen

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: June 25, 2010 13:55

I already like his solo stuff!

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 25, 2010 15:12

Now Look is fine indeed, his first album was good, Gimme Some Neck features strong riffs, Slide On This had charme, Not For Beginners was ridiculous and amateurish.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 25, 2010 15:58

windmelody
Now Look is fine indeed, his first album was good, Gimme Some Neck features strong riffs, Slide On This had charme, Not For Beginners was ridiculous and amateurish.

100% TRUE
Two first albums were jewels
Bimme some neck and slide on this brilliant
Not for beginners.....not for my ears

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 25, 2010 16:12

I agree.

I looked for this thread I started on the same topic, and it's just four days off from being five years old!

Is is something about the weather that brings out the "Caribbean Boogie" in us?

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: June 25, 2010 17:37

windmelody

Not For Beginners is not a go to record for me but I quite like Real Hard Rocker and Heart, Soul & Body. Both tough blues rockers.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 25, 2010 19:51

Funny all up to personal taste. I quite like Not For Beginners. First, a very well produced disc that sounds more raunchy, but nuanced than his past few. Yes it is short, but it feels really organic and earthy. A lot of soul. Gimme Some Neck is great, and a close to classic record. Very rich listening and some great riffing on it! Just the drums are mixed horribly. 1, 2, 3, 4...just is a bit listless to me, and a bit boring. SLide This is good, but the production is way to refined and safe, and not near rock and roll enough. Slide on This Live, Plugged in and Standing is phenomenal! A classic live disc and I wish they would release that show on DVD! IT is stellar!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 25, 2010 19:56

1234 is his masterwork. slide on this sounded okay at the time, but time has not been kind to it.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 25, 2010 22:47

StonesTod
1234 is his masterwork. slide on this sounded okay at the time, but time has not been kind to it.

Shouldn't a "masterwork" go all the way up to 10?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-25 22:47 by loog droog.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: June 25, 2010 22:52

Thanks for the tip on 1234 StonesTod, I've never heard that one.

I just got 'I've Got My Own Album To Do' a couple of months ago, and I've really been digging it (I never knew Keith & Mick contributed so much to it, or I would've gotten it a long time ago). The only other solo Woody I've got is 'Slide on This' which I also quite like.

Date: June 25, 2010 22:57

loog droog
StonesTod

Shouldn't a "masterwork" go all the way up to 10?

don't give me that old 12345678910

Date: June 25, 2010 22:58

Keefan
Thanks for the tip on 1234 StonesTod, I've never heard that one.

it's hard to find on cd...but good luck. well worth the hunt.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 25, 2010 23:31

I didnt care much for "Beginners". It seemed like alot things thrown together to me. If you go by the personnel at least one or two of em went back to the first album. What really got me is "So You Want To Be a R n R Star?" Who HASNT done a cover of that?? Then again I was digging the first two albums when they were fresh off the record rack so I'm probably just being a little hard on ole Ron!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-25 23:43 by scottkeef.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 25, 2010 23:35

Now Look is a great album - with Womack as prime collaborator it suggests Sly's "Riot" meets Black & Blue era Stones. His best solo set, along with the underrated 'Not For Beginners'.

Date: June 25, 2010 23:43

There was actually quite a few things on Now Look from the first album sessions!!

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 26, 2010 10:48

As far as I know

I´ve got my own album to do is by far his best IMO
Now Look is leftovers and new stuff wich i don´t like that much as his first LP
Gimme some neck has a few great songs and great hooks but IMO bad production althogh I like it second best because it was my first RW LP and I played it a lot
1234 is leftovers and new stuff with the same bad production as GSN and IMO it´s his worst record.
Slide on this is an great album for 1992 but doesn´t standt the test of time, though its better than 1234 & NL IMO.
Not for beginners is a mish mash of great moments and cheap ideas I don´t play it that often.

Slide on live IMO is his best Live effort, next comes Ritz & an unecessary addition was Live and eclectic

but that´s all just my opinion.....

Date: June 26, 2010 17:38

bluesinc.

1234 is leftovers and new stuff with the same bad production as GSN and IMO it´s his worst record.

GSN was ruined by the queenish production of roy thomas baker...1234 was brilliantly produced by andy johns.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 26, 2010 17:58

Ronnie's first 4 albums are the ones that I like the most.
Gimme Some Neck sound quite terrible - almost like the typical 80s way of mixing music; but apart from the mixing - it's a great album
1234 reminds me a lot about Shot Of Love - soundwise, and moodwise, and I think Bob and Ronnie did meet eachother during the sessions.....didn't they even use the same studio ?
Not For Beginners.....I like 2-3 of the slower songs there - especially Whad'ya Think" - but the "rockers" doesn't do much for me.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: June 26, 2010 21:12

Yeah, Now Look is indeed his best album.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 27, 2010 22:46

>1234 reminds me a lot about Shot Of Love - soundwise, and moodwise, and I think Bob and Ronnie did meet eachother during the sessions.....

Ronnie played on "Heart Of Mine" on SHOT OF LOVE but they had met years before that. Bob had given Ronnie "Seven Days" circa '76 (after Clapton turned it down).

Not a solo album but worthy of mentioning is MAHONEY'S LAST STAND. Plenty of great guitar from Woody and a lovely song from Lane, "Just For A Moment". But has anyone actually seen the movie?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 27, 2010 22:58

Funny, I've had 'I've Got My Own Album to Do' in my car for a week! LOVE IT!
I Can Feel the Fire
Far East Man
Act Together
Groovin' You
Crtch Music....

MAN this is great stuff! Friends love ti, asking who it is, etc... Britlliant stuff. A lot of this is a lot better than a lot of 'It's Only Rock and Roll' in my opinion.

I'll have to borrow 'Now Look' from my bandmate next week, but I think I might like the 1992 re-make of 'Breathe on Me' more... we'll see
(breathe on me, one of the few tracks from Slide on This I still really enjoy'.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 27, 2010 23:10

I even like 1234 - 80s @#$%& up production but I hear the will to play... the joy... and the coke & whiskey at their best. a shit record but always a cheer to play.. I'm gonna put it on now!

I just love Ronnie - I can't help it!

Date: June 27, 2010 23:28

The original "Breathe On Me" beats the latter one hands down. The harmony vocals by Keith really put it over the top. Probably one of the most frequently played Ron discs for me is SLIDE ON LIVE. Just a great rockin cd and very well mixed and mastered although Bernard doesnt really have a r n r voice(just my opinion). I think he does very well as a back up singer but I would much rather hear Ron sing(I know thats a stretch!)

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 27, 2010 23:39

Yeah, I love Woody too. It's funny though, as much as I do love him, it's more in the context of him outside of the stones. Faces, early Rod, solo, barbarians... THAT'S woody to me, not when he's lost in the vegas circus.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 27, 2010 23:46

Found this for those who've not heard it:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home