Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Style Council
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 23, 2010 13:06

Being a fan of The Jam and someone who enjoys Paul Weller's solo output, I'm surprised that it has taken me a while to explore the great man's 80's project: The Style Council.

I have just ordered their 'Greatest Hits' CD and I was wondering whether there were any fans here? I knew 'You're The Best Thing' and 'Shout To The Top' but it seems they had a fair few decent tunes in their repertoire. I'm quite looking forward to hearing this compilation.

Re: OT: The Style Council
Posted by: kees ()
Date: June 23, 2010 13:11

Both TSC and PW I like a lot. Saw PW last month in Paradiso / A'dam.
Rather messy gig but and not all songs stood out but enjoyed it a lot. The band members themselves had fun too.
But Jee, Mr Wellers is a chain smoker and heavy wine drinker when on stage, never saw this before....

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 23, 2010 13:17

No I do not like them. They were crap then as they are now and it beats the hell out of me as to why someone would want to discuss them on a Rolling Stones forum.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 23, 2010 13:36

"But Jee, Mr Wellers is a chain smoker and heavy wine drinker when on stage, never saw this before...."

I saw PW last year and he was as clean as a whistle.

Superb artist. Not many have had the career he has or the prolonged quality output.

"They were crap then as they are now and it beats the hell out of me as to why someone would want to discuss them on a Rolling Stones forum."

Sure beats analysing MT's vibrato every two minutes!!

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: June 23, 2010 13:44

squando
No I do not like them. They were crap then as they are now and it beats the hell out of me as to why someone would want to discuss them on a Rolling Stones forum.

The post starts with an OT: Beats the hell out of me why you bothered to open it...

I'm not a Style Council fan but i sure like the Jam and Paul Wellers solo stuff as well. The Stanley Road album is fantastic.

Date: June 23, 2010 13:45

Yep the MT threads re vibrato are tiresome Ablett but SC couldn't be further removed from the Stones.

Date: June 23, 2010 15:33

squando
Yep the MT threads re vibrato are tiresome Ablett but SC couldn't be further removed from the Stones.

This here is a Rolling Stones message board, but also a board where one can feel free to discuss all varieties of music. I don't agree with your comments regarding the Style Council being 'far removed' from the Stones, either. Your points are completely unnecessary.

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: June 23, 2010 15:42

So what's your opinion on the Stanley Road album, Big Al?

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 23, 2010 16:15

Liked the Jam and Weller solo a lot. But hated the Style Council. Ersatz soul smoothies. Breaking up the Jam was a huge mistake.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 23, 2010 16:27

"Breaking up the Jam was a huge mistake."

I disagree. It would be awful if they were still going. They stopped at the top. SC were popular and the solo career reached (and still does) new heights.

Date: June 23, 2010 16:54

This here is a Rolling Stones message board, but also a board where one can feel free to discuss all varieties of music. I don't agree with your comments regarding the Style Council being 'far removed' from the Stones, either. Your points are completely unnecessary.

My points?

I have one point. The Style Council as the title of the thread reads - not Mr Weller or the Jam - are worlds apart musically.

1981 - Start me up, Slave, Little T&A, No use in crying 1983 - Undercover, Pretty beat up, SWH - 1986 - DW admittedly full of crap but it was one of the very few albums in its era to be guitar based.

1983/4 - anything from Café Bleu and Shout to the top 1985 - Walls come tumblin down, Internationalists, Boy who cried wolf, 1986 - a live album that completely comprises of vox, keyboards and drums.

Tell me, where is the near removed bit then?

And yes it is for talking about music and so on but I wouldn't expect anyone to be yabbering at an AC/DC site about the Mamas and Papas.

Stones fashion sense too....

Date: June 23, 2010 21:18

Faie enough, squando, but we are all entitled to enjoy and discuss the music we enjoy listening too. I like what I've heard from the Style Council and intelligent and grown-up enough to be able to have an eclectic taste.

Date: June 24, 2010 05:11

I'm sorry Big Al I feel bad for raining on your parade. Of course you are right in that you should be able to maturly discuss music - no matter what type - here and it is not my place to jump all over people for that so again I apologise for acting like a spoiled brat.

Date: June 24, 2010 10:24

squando
I'm sorry Big Al I feel bad for raining on your parade. Of course you are right in that you should be able to maturly discuss music - no matter what type - here and it is not my place to jump all over people for that so again I apologise for acting like a spoiled brat.

No need for apologies cool smiley

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: June 24, 2010 10:41

If there were lots of new and exciting things to discuss on here then maybe there would be an argument for not discussing Off Topic threads such as the £*'#ing footballspinning smiley sticking its tongue out. But a music thread? Off Topic? Seems a bit heavy handed

Date: June 24, 2010 14:03

Ok Stargroves - let's talk Mozart smiling smiley Just joking but outside of his opera's, I love a great deal of his music. Just wished he'd called his pieces things like "Connection" or "Short and curlies". Woulda made it that much easier finding what I was looking for smoking smiley

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:57

Haven't you heard Mozart's short and curlies? A much under=rated classic I think...

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 24, 2010 19:10

I still have a Style Council K7 grinning smiley

but when you're young ......

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 25, 2010 04:04

ablett
"Breaking up the Jam was a huge mistake."

I disagree. It would be awful if they were still going. They stopped at the top. SC were popular and the solo career reached (and still does) new heights.

I should clarify, "breaking up the Jam at the top of their game only to replace them with the wimpy, faux soul Style Council was huge mistake." The Capuccino Kid? Puhleez! Weller would have been better off going straight from the Jam to a solo career.

Date: June 25, 2010 04:09

"Haven't you heard Mozart's short and curlies? A much under=rated classic I think..."

Hahaha. Nah mate can't say that I have but I wouldn't be surprised if there was cos from what I understand he gave plenty of attention to many a lady's s&cs - the first true rock/pop star I believe.

One might say the first "Mick".

Beethoven could have been the first "Brian (Wilson)".

So there we have it, Mick Mozart and Brian Beethoven.

And Sway shame on yoooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!! Closet Style Council liker!!! Three hail Mary's and four Brown Sugars before bed tonite! smiling smiley

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: June 25, 2010 05:20

I always thought Long Hot Summer was a great tune and takes me back to August days in the early 80s. Though I never quite got the clothes or Capuccino kid stuff. For the great Jam and his solo work, I think Weller has earned a pass for any misses with TSC.

Date: June 25, 2010 14:46

Perfection thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home