Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

6/22/75 - was it really 35 years ago?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 22, 2010 08:44

Does your first Stones show stick to you like mine does? I swear, I still have not recovered from that summer night 35 years ago...

[blog.beliefnet.com]

Re: 6/22/75 - was it really 35 years ago?
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 22, 2010 08:48

Yes, it does. Mine's coming up July 10 (the 1975 tour).

Date: June 22, 2010 09:05

tomk--another '75 virgin! - where was your show?

Date: June 22, 2010 17:36

--wait--that was the forum, right?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 22, 2010 18:21

hbwriter
Does your first Stones show stick to you like mine does? I swear, I still have not recovered from that summer night 35 years ago...

[blog.beliefnet.com]

Not exactly ..I am a bit late on this one ....June 1976 was mine but I still have not recovered from that summer night 34 years ago...cool smiley

I really love the photos from the forum with the lotus stage .

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 22, 2010 20:13

Yep. My first show was July 9 at the Forum.

It was insane...and this could never happen now. I was a 16 year old Stones fanatic with no connections to anybody who could put me there, but somehow fate smiled on me and I scored a seat in the third row!

The way the lotus stage extended, it was like a front row seat. Made eye contact with Mick a couple of times, and Bill too. I made a few faces at him to see if I could get him to crack up, but he just kept being Bill Wyman.

Keith Moon joined a bunch of percussionists in a samba line during the Sympathy encore. After the show he ran right by me to meet up with some friends.

And the confetti that Mick sprayed out from a dragon's mouth-shaped hose at end of the show was all over my hair. When I got home I shook it out over a table, and carefully put it in an envelope. Still have it somewhere.

The confetti, not my hair.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-23 19:21 by loog droog.

Date: June 22, 2010 22:45

loog - CLASSIC

Date: June 22, 2010 22:46

Loog - over at my blog on this story I have a little book contest - you should post this story - it's very cool--

[blog.beliefnet.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 23, 2010 00:52

HB I hope you managed to get one of the two tapes made that night. It was a great rocking show!

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: June 23, 2010 01:01

loog droog
Yep. My first show was July 9 at the Forum.

It was insane...and this could never happen now. I was a 16 year old Stones fanatic with no connections to anybody who could make it happen, but somehow fate smiled on me and I scored a seat in the third row!

The way the lotus stage extended, it was like a front row seat. Made eye contact with Mick a couple of times, and Bill too. I made a few faces at him to see if I could get him to crack up, but he just kept being Bill Wyman.

Keith Moon joined a bunch of percussionists in a samba line during the Sympathy encore. After the show he ran right by me to meet up with some friends.

And the confetti that Mick sprayed out from a dragon's mouth-shaped hose at end of the show was all over my hair. When I got home I shook it out over a table, and carefully put it in an envelope. Still have it somewhere.

The confetti, not my hair.

I was at one of those '75 Fabulous Forum shows, but can't remember which one. I don't recall Keith Moon being at the one I saw, so I guess that narrows it down a little for me. Anyway, it was my last Sones concert.

Saw the Nicaraguan Benefit for my first concert. Outrageous $20 tickets.
Almost fell asleep during one of the 20 minute Santana percussion solos.

Date: June 23, 2010 17:20

fuman - FANTASTIC - $20 smiling smiley

cheech and chong played at the ;73 show too, right?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 23, 2010 20:00

hb

I looked at your blog, and I liked the part where you described seeing them in person for the first time as a "surreal experience." I had the same thought, it just didn't seem like it was real.

And it all went by so fast...and yet also seemed frozen in time, even as it happened!

At the start of the show as the pedals slowly opened, and I was seconds away from the long-awaited, wished-for, anticipated, dreamed-about moment of finally seeing THE STONES...I had this sudden flash of a thought about how I would always remember this. I tried to imagine myself in 10 years,but I couldn't go any farther.

And I knew that the Stones would be long-gone by then. And that point they had already been around forever, how much longer could they do it? (They still needed to find another guitar player since Woody was a "guest" on that tour!) Odd to think that it was only 6 years after Brian's death. It seemed like that era was centuries earlier.

That it's been 35 years, and that the Stones are still rolling was incomprensible then. And it still amazes me now.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 23, 2010 20:06

7/26/72 at Madison Square Garden
Mick's birthday.. Stevie Wonder opened the show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-23 20:08 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 24, 2010 00:17

Yep, same with me. July 31, 1975, Tour of the Americas. Greensboro, NC.

Opening Act: The Meters

Truly a magical night, and a heck of a party in Winston-Salem, NC, afterwards, too!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1411
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home