Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Sympathy" from MSG 1/18/03
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 19, 2010 23:40

I had my iTunes playing on random yesterday and this came on and I thought - wow, I forgot how good this is. Especially if you compare it to, say, the notorious SAL version. For one thing, Mick is actually putting effort into his vocals from start to finish, and Keith is actually attempting solos instead of just 3-note noodlings in the wrong key. Best of is the end, where in the closing 2 minutes or so the songs really drives, with Mick adlibbing and Keith and Ronnie mixing it up with some wonderful interplay. By god, there was actually some weaving going on there!

A nice reminder of what a great show this was!

Re: "Sympathy" from MSG 1/18/03
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 20, 2010 04:05

I think what's happened is that since 1989 they've just done this song too much (yeah, as well as a few others, I know). I was interested in the Flashpoint version and whatever else I had associated with that tour because I saw them. But since then it's just gotten so tired.

But then someone will pop up and say what you just said. So who the @#$%& knows.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 20, 2010 07:36

Well, I said what I just said because I actually dig this performance. It IS a tired and overdone song, much like Brown Sugar. But once in a while, they would pull off a strong version of an old warhorse, and this was probably (for me) the last time this song sounded really good live - and the first time in a while, for that matter.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 20, 2010 07:51

The solution to making it sound great is Keith on rhythm and Ronnie, of sober, on lead.

Or that other guy. . ..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home