Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Great on record, terrible live
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: February 8, 2010 23:39

Love Is Strong
Anybody Seen My Baby
Undercover

Re: Great on record, terrible live
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:05

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

Date: February 9, 2010 00:09

Rocks Off. And here we go with this thread again.smiling smiley

Date: February 9, 2010 00:17

Ha ha.

It is funny though.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:21

The Last Time

HTW

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:23

We Love You.......well I guess it will be terrible live

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:28

Everything before '89, when they sobered up a bit, started doing soundchecks, started rehersing for real, and Mick tried singing.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:38

She's A Rainbow

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: February 9, 2010 00:52

skipstone

only after 1973. It was better live than on record for that tour, (but that's for a different thread)

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: February 9, 2010 01:35

You Got the Silver: we waited thirty years to hear it live in '99 and then Keef couldn't even play the various parts of the song in the proper order.

On the not terrible, but disappointing list, I'd go with Sister Morphine and Moonlight Mile. Nice to see them try, but they were disappointing.

On the other hand, Love is Strong kicked ass in Baltimore four years ago. The live arrangement has an opening riff instead of just the drums. Jagger's performance on Some Girls in Washington 11 years ago was also pretty extraordinary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-09 02:22 by baxlap.

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: February 9, 2010 01:36

iorr! HORRIBLE The last few tours!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 9, 2010 01:37

baxlap
You Got the Silver: we waited thirty years to hear it live and then Keef can't even play the various parts of the song in the proper order.

On the not terrible, but disappointing list, I'd go with Sister Morphine and Moonlight Mile. Nice to see them try, but they were disappointing.

On the other hand, Love is Strong kicked ass in Baltimore four years ago. The live arrangement has an opening riff instead of just the drums.

Agreed about You Got The Silver on the No Security tour (sounded like they were winging it every time), but thought they nailed the original arrangement on the ABB tour.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 9, 2010 01:50

She Was Hot
Sway

2 biggest dissapontments on the last tour.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 9, 2010 02:07

Heartbreaker, Skippy? Must have happened after the Taylor-era.
Rocks off 'thanks to' bad singing, bad guitar work by Richards and bad windinstruments. Taylor is hardly to hear on this onewinking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 9, 2010 02:15

Rocks Off is really tough to do live, I can attest. It has to do with the vocal jumping a whole octave.

Sway would be the biggest difference between the quality of the studio track and the live version, IMO. It's Only Rock n Roll a close second.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 9, 2010 02:29

Satisfaction
Shattered

Date: February 9, 2010 02:40

Yeah, I'm going by Heartbreaker that I heard on the Voodoo tour. Although the 73 boots I have of it are not very good either. Better than 94 but still not very good.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: February 9, 2010 02:40

Elmo Lewis
Satisfaction
Shattered

Can you pinpoint a particular arrangement of Satisfaction? There have been so many.

The 1969 arrangement absolutely kicks ass. Taking out the opening riff in 1971 didn't work. Knebworth was gloriously shambolic. The change in the opening riff in 1978 didn't work. The 1981-82 and 1989-90 versions are too rushed and lack groove. But the groove has been better since they put it in the middle of the set in 1994-95.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: February 9, 2010 02:56

Start Me Up
She Was Hot
The Last Time
Rocks Off
Shattered
You Got the Silver
Sway
She's A Rainbow
Sister Morphine
Undercover
Far Away Eyes
Love Is Strong
-----
concert intermission to screen "shine a light"
-----
Moonlight Mile
Honky Tonk Woman
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Street Fighting Man
Brown Sugar

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 9, 2010 03:58

Some Girls

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: February 9, 2010 11:43

all pre-1989 material done vegas style
honorable mention, the slow-motion flip the switch zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Date: February 9, 2010 11:45

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-09 11:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: February 9, 2010 13:14

You can list nearly every song they played live as a great or as a terrible one (terrible? What`s terrible? You mean sloppy or not prepared) On every tour from yesterday till today are great versions and sloppy versions of a song,depends who @#$%& up: the singer, the guitarplayer, the drummer.. And sometimes they are all together and bring up the best version of a song you ever heard. That`s what Stones fans are looking for. That`s a secret of the Stones and a reason why many of us want to see every concert, cause you could miss the perfect version of a song.
They rehearse live on stage. Sometimes a song is growing after playing it live a few times and sometimes not. Then they kick it out. That`s what I love : they risk something on stage. If they don`t risk something on stage it`s not the Stones anymore.
P.S. Don`t judge only by listening to bootlegs, cause many so called terrible versions are caused of a worse or totally unbalanced sound quality

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 9, 2010 13:22

Hey, everyone. The name is flilflam and I am a newbie on this message board. I have seen 5 Stones concerts and have every CD and record the Stones have ever recorded, including one compilation record written in Italian.

Hand of Fate has always been one of my favorites but has never done too well in a live concert. Come to think of it, the Stones songs are always best heard via CD. The concerts are just for the fun of being around fans.

Date: February 9, 2010 13:24

Torn And Frayed: Terrible live in 1972, Terrible again in 2002.

Miss You: Some decent versions in 1978 and 1981/82, but not even near the quality of the studio recording, imo.

Connection: Let Mick sing like he did on the studio version. Haven't heard the 1967 live version, though.

Dance: Wrong lyrics, no guitars, no swing.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 9, 2010 13:25

IORR and Miss You. They should not play'em live.

Wild and Crazy Stones Concerts
Date: February 9, 2010 13:36

I have thus far attended five Stones concerts, of which the first was in Cincinnati at the Reds stadium in 1994. We drove there in a group sponsored bus, which actually allowed and encouraged heavy drinking. A few wine coolers allowed us to get in the mood. We were lucky in that we were very close to the stage and could clearly see all of the Stones. In front of us was a group of four thirty something fans, two men and two women. One of the men was very drunk and possibly on a lot of drugs. He went on and on and on about how he had always worshipped the Stones and how this was the opportunity of a lifetime. He seemed to enjoy the opening act. At the intermission he continued to talk about the Stones and how he really loved them. When the Stones took the stage an hour later, the crowd went berserk. At this point the man passed out and at one point his face was actually touching the concrete. His wife or girlfriend tried on several occasions to waken him without success. About two hours later the Stones exited the stage and the lights went on.

At this point the man woke up after a nudge from his friend. When she told him he had missed the entire Stones concert, he said, Why didn’t you wake me up?!! This actually happened, so help me.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: February 9, 2010 13:44

flilflam

Date: February 9, 2010 13:36

I have thus far attended five Stones concerts, of which the first was in Cincinnati at the Reds stadium in 1994. We drove there in a group sponsored bus, which actually allowed and encouraged heavy drinking. A few wine coolers allowed us to get in the mood. We were lucky in that we were very close to the stage and could clearly see all of the Stones. In front of us was a group of four thirty something fans, two men and two women. One of the men was very drunk and possibly on a lot of drugs. He went on and on and on about how he had always worshipped the Stones and how this was the opportunity of a lifetime. He seemed to enjoy the opening act. At the intermission he continued to talk about the Stones and how he really loved them. When the Stones took the stage an hour later, the crowd went berserk. At this point the man passed out and at one point his face was actually touching the concrete. His wife or girlfriend tried on several occasions to waken him without success. About two hours later the Stones exited the stage and the lights went on.

At this point the man woke up after a nudge from his friend. When she told him he had missed the entire Stones concert, he said, Why didn’t you wake me up?!! This actually happened, so help me.

Well, I wake you up: this is the wrong thread. Back to the topic.

Posted by: polandstones ()
Date: February 9, 2010 13:56

Anybody Seen My Baby - disaster !

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 9, 2010 15:39

Angie

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home