Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mesa Boogie period
Posted by: anagyrus ()
Date: June 19, 2010 19:30

Did this period started at el Mocambo? or in the 78' tour? Why did keith (& ronnie?) started to use those amps? Mesa boogie amps where also used by guitar players like Santana, far from the stones sound, and it seems that the same amp would't fit both styles (santana vs stones) so opposite indeed. I am aware that the Mark I has been widely reported in this board, and as far as I now (just a humble amateur aficionado) it is a High Gain amp. Then, are they the earliest high gain amps used by the stones?. Can any of the guitar & amps experts add some information about those amps, how affected keith's tone and the later comeback to fender amps?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Mesa Boogie period
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 19, 2010 19:53

try this thread: [www.iorr.org]
the discussion of Mesa Boogies seems to start on page 3

here's another one: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-19 19:58 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 20, 2010 23:24

anagyrus
Did this period started at el Mocambo? or in the 78' tour? Why did keith (& ronnie?) started to use those amps? Mesa boogie amps where also used by guitar players like Santana, far from the stones sound, and it seems that the same amp would't fit both styles (santana vs stones) so opposite indeed. I am aware that the Mark I has been widely reported in this board, and as far as I now (just a humble amateur aficionado) it is a High Gain amp. Then, are they the earliest high gain amps used by the stones?. Can any of the guitar & amps experts add some information about those amps, how affected keith's tone and the later comeback to fender amps?

Thanks in advance.

In short: the first Boogie MKI amps where shipped to the Stones rehearsals in Rotterdam, Jan/Feb 1975. They probably got to know these amps through Pete Townsend, who'd already used them for about a year. The first pics I have of any Boogie amp is during tune-ups at the '75 tour. They then received in total 7 Boogie MkI amps (with hard wood cabinet, EQ, Reverb and 100 watt international version) out of a batch of 10 from February 1977 (one amp was shipped to a "known star guitarist in the UK, one is unknown, and one was send to a Munich musical instrument hiring company and I now own this amp) for the El Mocambo gigs, and these amps have been used up to 1992 in the studio and live. For the '81/'82 tour they used Boogie MKIIB Coloseum amps.

The MKI is a high gain amp, but not in the modern sense. The combination of the gain stage and the EQ can lead to compressed, blackface Fender sounds as on Emotional Resque, but also to Santana's lead tone. It really is a very widely applicable amp, as is the IIB and in lesser extend IIC. Starting form the MKIII it really does become more one-dimensional high gain metal sounds, like Metallica would use.

Mathijs

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 21, 2010 07:48

Mathijs
anagyrus

Thanks in advance.

In short: the first Boogie MKI amps where shipped to the Stones rehearsals in Rotterdam, Jan/Feb 1975. They probably got to know these amps through Pete Townsend, who'd already used them for about a year. The first pics I have of any Boogie amp is during tune-ups at the '75 tour. They then received in total 7 Boogie MkI amps (with hard wood cabinet, EQ, Reverb and 100 watt international version) out of a batch of 10 from February 1977 (one amp was shipped to a "known star guitarist in the UK, one is unknown, and one was send to a Munich musical instrument hiring company and I now own this amp) for the El Mocambo gigs, and these amps have been used up to 1992 in the studio and live. For the '81/'82 tour they used Boogie MKIIB Coloseum amps.

The MKI is a high gain amp, but not in the modern sense. The combination of the gain stage and the EQ can lead to compressed, blackface Fender sounds as on Emotional Resque, but also to Santana's lead tone. It really is a very widely applicable amp, as is the IIB and in lesser extend IIC. Starting form the MKIII it really does become more one-dimensional high gain metal sounds, like Metallica would use.

Mathijs

I'm not so sure about the Townshend influence. According to a website that has chronicled Pete's guitars, amps, and gear over the years, he was first introduced to Mesas in 1976, probably from reports by Eric Clapton and George Harrison. Indeed, Harrison (or Robin Ford, or possibly both) used a Mesa on Harrison's 1974 USA tour. THere are photos of this. I've also seen a photo of a Mesa used on CSNY's tour of the States in 1974. Townshend's first use of the Mesa Boogie was during the recording for WHo Are You (1977 and 1978). He also used them for some WHo rehearsals in 1977, as can be seen in The Kids Are Alright (when they do Barbara Ann). He did not use a Mesa Boogie for either The Who By Numbers (1975) or Rough Mix (1977). It is probable that he used one for Empty Glass. HE also may have used one for home recording and demos. HE has, however, continued to use Mesa preamps in the studio and onstage. Townshend also used the Mesa 4x12 speaker cabs on the 1982 tour, replacing the Hiwatt speakers but retaining the Hiwatt heads.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 21, 2010 11:28

<Starting form the MKIII it really does become more one-dimensional high gain metal sounds, like Metallica would use.><Mathijs>

Top Jazz player John Scofied uses a MK III and produces one of the best Jazz sounds
around in the world with it,just to mention one.. It's as 3 dimensional and smooth as you can get.

Date: June 21, 2010 16:08

anagyrus

Thanks in advance.

So many players,so many opinions:

[reviews.harmony-central.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 21, 2010 16:22

Is there any connection between the use of a certain type of amp and the thin, metallic sound of the guitars from the 1975 tour on? I've always been amazed by the poor sound of the guitars after the 1973 tour, regardless of the way they were played musically. Or is there another explanation for that poor sound, as on LYL and Still Life?

Date: June 21, 2010 17:17

kleermaker
Is there any connection between the use of a certain type of amp and the thin, metallic sound of the guitars from the 1975 tour on? I've always been amazed by the poor sound of the guitars after the 1973 tour, regardless of the way they were played musically. Or is there another explanation for that poor sound, as on LYL and Still Life?

I never liked the Boogie sound the Stones had on stage. Especially Ron Woods tone has always been very thin to my ears.I prefer him as a bassist anyway.
But it's mainly in the fingers and the guitars..Listen to Mick Taylor or Jeff Beck.They always have a good sound,no matter what amp they play.
I rather hear a good guitar player on a bad Amp than the other way around.

Date: June 22, 2010 16:39

tomk
Mathijs
anagyrus

Thanks in advance.

Mathijs

I'm not so sure about the Townshend influence. According to a website that has chronicled Pete's guitars, amps, and gear over the years, he was first introduced to Mesas in 1976, probably from reports by Eric Clapton and George Harrison. Indeed, Harrison (or Robin Ford, or possibly both) used a Mesa on Harrison's 1974 USA tour. THere are photos of this. I've also seen a photo of a Mesa used on CSNY's tour of the States in 1974. Townshend's first use of the Mesa Boogie was during the recording for WHo Are You (1977 and 1978). He also used them for some WHo rehearsals in 1977, as can be seen in The Kids Are Alright (when they do Barbara Ann). He did not use a Mesa Boogie for either The Who By Numbers (1975) or Rough Mix (1977). It is probable that he used one for Empty Glass. HE also may have used one for home recording and demos. HE has, however, continued to use Mesa preamps in the studio and onstage. Townshend also used the Mesa 4x12 speaker cabs on the 1982 tour, replacing the Hiwatt speakers but retaining the Hiwatt heads.

I absolutely agree that Harrison would be a much more straight forward influence, especially as he, Wood and Richards worked together at The Wick in '74. But I discussed this with Randall Smith (founder of Boogie) when I traced down the heritage of my MKI. He stated that he got a call from Ian Stewart in early '75 to send two amps "just like Pete Townesend's amps" to Rotterdam for the rehearsals. Acording to Smith, he send a couple over and never got paid. Then the Stones requested more amps for their '77 El Mocambo gigs, and he then requested to be paid before he sent them to Canada.

As said, the first pics of Boogie and the Stones are from tune-ups during the '75 tour, and the first recording is most probably Keith's rythm guitar on Slave.

Mathijs

Date: June 22, 2010 16:44

kleermaker

I think the sound we hear on record more has to do with the recording and production than on how it was played. On most '75 shows Keith's sound was very, very distorted and fat, whereas on LYL you indeed can argue that its not the best guitar sound. But basically, the amps on the '75 tour where axactly the same amps as on the '73 tour, and the '72 tour amps where slighly less overdriven.

The '78 tour the MKI was used, and the guitar sounds very fat and raunchy, but with more treble and spank than the Ampeg's of 72 and 75. I much prefer the sound of the '78 tour over any previous tour. '81 saw the MKIIB Coloseum, and on some shows they have the most terrible , metallic clanky sound imaginable, but on other shows they again sound very warm and fat again. I for one love the guitar sound on Shattered and Imagination of SL.

Mathijs

Date: June 22, 2010 16:48

Amsterdamned
kleermaker

I never liked the Boogie sound the Stones had on stage. Especially Ron Woods tone has always been very thin to my ears.I prefer him as a bassist anyway.
But it's mainly in the fingers and the guitars..Listen to Mick Taylor or Jeff Beck.They always have a good sound,no matter what amp they play.
I rather hear a good guitar player on a bad Amp than the other way around.

I am not sure -I think Taylor's sound since the late '90's is terrible. He uses cheap Marshall and Twin amps, and it's just a grainy, metallic sound. As you know, I can't listen to Beck. I just hate this squeeling and screeching, and I think that Marshall hasn't made a proper amp since the mid-80's master volume JCM 800 anymore. It's a thin, buzzy kind of overdrive, and together with his continues use of the tremelo everything sounds like a cheap, out of tune transistor radio.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 22, 2010 17:25

I hate the sound of the late 70's.

Probably more to do with production and material they are playing though. grinning smiley

For me nothing beats the guitar sounds of 66 - 69. The above reasoning obviously applies here too. grinning smiley

Date: June 22, 2010 17:36

Mathijs
kleermaker

I think the sound we hear on record more has to do with the recording and production than on how it was played. On most '75 shows Keith's sound was very, very distorted and fat, whereas on LYL you indeed can argue that its not the best guitar sound. But basically, the amps on the '75 tour where axactly the same amps as on the '73 tour, and the '72 tour amps where slighly less overdriven.

The '78 tour the MKI was used, and the guitar sounds very fat and raunchy, but with more treble and spank than the Ampeg's of 72 and 75. I much prefer the sound of the '78 tour over any previous tour. '81 saw the MKIIB Coloseum, and on some shows they have the most terrible , metallic clanky sound imaginable, but on other shows they again sound very warm and fat again. I for one love the guitar sound on Shattered and Imagination of SL.

Mathijs

I agree that Ampeg was the best amp and provided the best Stones guitar sound Ive ever heard.

Date: June 22, 2010 17:39

Amsterdamned

I agree that Ampeg was the best amp and provided the best Stones guitar sound Ive ever heard.

What are some of your favourite stones tones?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 22, 2010 18:32

Mathijs

As said, the first pics of Boogie and the Stones are from tune-ups during the '75 tour, and the first recording is most probably Keith's rythm guitar on Slave.

Mathijs

does the amp appear on any cuts on Black & Blue then?

Date: June 22, 2010 19:37

His Majesty
Amsterdamned

Heart of Stone, Monkey Man, Sway,Let it Loose, most stuff with Jones and Taylor actually..Black & Blue,and a few songs after BL&BL.

Date: June 22, 2010 20:03

Amsterdamned

Heart of Stone, Monkey Man, Sway,Let it Loose, most stuff with Jones and Taylor actually..Black & Blue,and a few songs after BL&BL.[/quote]

Strange reply given your comment about ampegs.

Date: June 22, 2010 20:14

I am not sure -I think Taylor's sound since the late '90's is terrible. He uses cheap Marshall and Twin amps, and it's just a grainy, metallic sound.As you know, I can't listen to Beck. I just hate this squeeling and screeching, and I think that Marshall hasn't made a proper amp since the mid-80's master volume JCM 800 anymore. It's a thin, buzzy kind of overdrive, and together with his continues use of the tremelo everything sounds like a cheap, out of tune transistor radio.

Mathijs[/quote]

How can you hate it? I think it's got more to do with lack of musical empathy,or some sort of bias. Same with Taylor..winking smiley Difficult to admit for you I think.
Anyway,not everybody likes Beck's playing,but I think your rather alone in this world regarding your statement about Beck's sound,as it is a part of his trademark.

Date: June 22, 2010 20:33

His Majesty
Amsterdamned

Heart of Stone, Monkey Man, Sway,Let it Loose, most stuff with Jones and Taylor actually..Black & Blue,and a few songs after BL&BL.

Strange reply given your comment about ampegs.[/quote]

Lol,that are two different things.I cannot force the Stones to use a certain Amp..

Date: June 22, 2010 20:52

Mathijs
tomk
Mathijs
anagyrus

Thanks in advance.

Mathijs

I absolutely agree that Harrison would be a much more straight forward influence, especially as he, Wood and Richards worked together at The Wick in '74. But I discussed this with Randall Smith (founder of Boogie) when I traced down the heritage of my MKI. He stated that he got a call from Ian Stewart in early '75 to send two amps "just like Pete Townesend's amps" to Rotterdam for the rehearsals. Acording to Smith, he send a couple over and never got paid. Then the Stones requested more amps for their '77 El Mocambo gigs, and he then requested to be paid before he sent them to Canada.

Mathijs

Interesting quote from Randall. It's possible Pete used them on the Tommy soundtrack, recorded in 1974 (with Clapton on one song). Also, when Pete did that endorsment for Mesa (late 70s?), he actually went to them and offered to endorse the amp, not Mesa asking him.

Date: June 22, 2010 21:47

cc
Mathijs

Mathijs

does the amp appear on any cuts on Black & Blue then?

Not that I can hear, no. Almost all of B&B was recorded in Munich, and from pics we have of these sessions its the standard Fender and Ampeg amps again, with no Boogie in sight. From the Rotterdam rehearsal tapes there's some songs that I think you can hear the crunch of the Boogie, like Slave, Shame Shame Shame and Worried About You.

Mathijs

Date: June 22, 2010 21:50

Amsterdamned
I am not sure -I think Taylor's sound since the late '90's is terrible. He uses cheap Marshall and Twin amps, and it's just a grainy, metallic sound.As you know, I can't listen to Beck. I just hate this squeeling and screeching, and I think that Marshall hasn't made a proper amp since the mid-80's master volume JCM 800 anymore. It's a thin, buzzy kind of overdrive, and together with his continues use of the tremelo everything sounds like a cheap, out of tune transistor radio.

Mathijs

How can you hate it? I think it's got more to do with lack of musical empathy,or some sort of bias. Same with Taylor..winking smiley Difficult to admit for you I think.
Anyway,not everybody likes Beck's playing,but I think your rather alone in this world regarding your statement about Beck's sound,as it is a part of his trademark.[/quote]

What a load of bollocks, 'musical empathy'..... I just do not like the typical sound of 80's Marshall amps, and I do not like Beck's constant use of the tremelo., nor do I like his chicking picking fingerstyle. Then I do not like jazz and fusion, so for me there's just not much to like.

Mathijs

Date: June 22, 2010 21:53

Amsterdamned
His Majesty
Amsterdamned

Heart of Stone = Fender Twin
Monkey Man = most likely a WEM (EL84) amp
Sway = Fender Twin
Let it Loose = Fender Deluxe
Most stuff with Jones = Vox AC30, various Fender amps and Vox Supreme and the like.

I can see you 'agree that Ampeg was the best amp and provided the best Stones guitar sound Ive ever heard'.

Mathijs

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: June 22, 2010 22:01

Mathijs
kleermaker
Or is there another explanation for that poor sound, as on LYL and Still Life?

'81 saw the MKIIB Coloseum, and on some shows they have the most terrible , metallic clanky sound imaginable, but on other shows they again sound very warm and fat again. I for one love the guitar sound on Shattered and Imagination of SL.

Mathijs

I was around 13 when Still Life came out and I bought the Going To A Go-Go single. Even at that young age I thought to myself, what the hell is up with that guitar sound. I felt the same way about The Who's 82 tour. Both seemed to have a thin, flat guitar sound.

I also think Mathjis may be right about Marshalls. My sister got a TSL half stack a few years ago, and after years of wanting to play through a Marshall, I finally had my chance. But I was so disappointed because it had such a generic, nu-metal sound. I was expecting instant AC/DC and I got Limp Bizkit instead. Ugh!

Date: June 22, 2010 22:29

bustedtrousers

I also think Mathjis may be right about Marshalls. My sister got a TSL half stack a few years ago, and after years of wanting to play through a Marshall, I finally had my chance. But I was so disappointed because it had such a generic, nu-metal sound. I was expecting instant AC/DC and I got Limp Bizkit instead. Ugh!

Ugh those TSL's suck big time!

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 22, 2010 22:34

Mathjis hit the nail on the head. Mt's modern tone is very thin and weak. JB'music can sound like it is from a spaceship. Although both still excellent players. But Kieth and ronnie's need work to. This comes to mathjis other oint about the "production". Keith's live tone and I mean hearing it unfiltered direct from the amp is amazing. It does not sound the way it does on tape. Bassier and more low in dirt. Crappy production on tape and live kills it. Ronnie needs to go to ampegs or maybe even a slightly overdriven soldano. I'm thinking faces tone. His fender tone is ok at best. If Ronnie ezpects the new faces to take off....well a twin won't cut it. His tone was as important as rod's voice. The bottom line is they need to try something. Anything but remember to bring out the dirt from way down low. Just a thought.

Go Dawgs!

Date: June 22, 2010 22:44

bustedtrousers
Mathijs
kleermaker
Or is there another explanation for that poor sound, as on LYL and Still Life?

'81 saw the MKIIB Coloseum, and on some shows they have the most terrible , metallic clanky sound imaginable, but on other shows they again sound very warm and fat again. I for one love the guitar sound on Shattered and Imagination of SL.

Mathijs

I was around 13 when Still Life came out and I bought the Going To A Go-Go single. Even at that young age I thought to myself, what the hell is up with that guitar sound. I felt the same way about The Who's 82 tour. Both seemed to have a thin, flat guitar sound.

I've often wondered why Townshend switched to Mesas on the 1982 tour. Just to be different, I guess. The sound wasn't as bright and crisp as the Hiwatts.

Also for the first few gigs on the 1981 tour, the Stones used Cerwin-Vega cabs. I'm not sure when they exactly switched to Mesas (meaning at which gig). This has been discussed on this board before.

I, myself, don't like Marshalls either. Never have. They're just too one-dimensional for me.

Date: June 22, 2010 23:50

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
His Majesty
Amsterdamned

Heart of Stone = Fender Twin
Monkey Man = most likely a WEM (EL84) amp
Sway = Fender Twin
Let it Loose = Fender Deluxe
Most stuff with Jones = Vox AC30, various Fender amps and Vox Supreme and the like.

I can see you 'agree that Ampeg was the best amp and provided the best Stones guitar sound Ive ever heard'.

Mathijs

That's a different story, as I told HM,and yes, they sounded great on different amps too,and the weather was great when they recorded Let it bleedconfused smiley..What do you want to tell me?? I just think the Stones sounded best on Ampeg,like gyyo,Brxls Aff, etc .I cannot help they played on different amps too. Is that a crime?

Date: June 23, 2010 00:18

[
Anyway,not everybody likes Beck's playing,but I think your rather alone in this world regarding your statement about Beck's sound,as it is a part of his trademark.<Amsterdamned>

<What a load of bollocks, 'musical empathy'..... I just do not like the typical sound of 80's Marshall amps, and I do not like Beck's constant use of the tremelo., nor do I like his chicking picking fingerstyle. Then I do not like jazz and fusion, so for me there's just not much to like >

<Mathijs>

Poor boy,you must be very lonesome in your musical prison.Not one smart word about his tone,the melodic use of his tremolo,(he is playing complete melodies with it) You are missing a lot..I would advice you to follow a course on "musical empathy".Feels good,and it brightens your horizon!
Good luck.thumbs up

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 24, 2010 00:31

Amsterdamned

Poor boy,you must be very lonesome in your musical prison.Not one smart word about his tone,the melodic use of his tremolo,(he is playing complete melodies with it) You are missing a lot..I would advice you to follow a course on "musical empathy".Feels good,and it brightens your horizon!
Good luck.thumbs up

No offense intended here but I can't really get into Beck's playing either. I'm not a fusion fan myself. Beck's an incredible guitarist, no doubt. Just not my cup of tea.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home