Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Charlie Watts says...
Date: January 29, 2010 05:55

How credible is this...?

[www.thesun.co.uk]

ROLLING Stone CHARLIE WATTS has admitted he HATED the music of rivals THE BEATLES and ELVIS PRESLEY.
The drummer also said he "couldn't care less" if the Stones broke up.

Watts, 68, was giving a rare interview to promote jazz shows in Austria. He said: "I've never been a big Beatles fan.

"Of RINGO, yes, but not of the music. And I've always hated Elvis. He was the last one I wanted to use as a guide. MILESDAVIS and FATS DOMINO, yes, but Elvis, no."

The Stones are rumoured to be planning a new world tour.

But Watts said: "Honestly, I couldn't care less if it were over and done with the Stones tomorrow."

Read more: [www.thesun.co.uk]

Re: Charlie Watts says...
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 29, 2010 06:02

Don't think so.

Never known Charlie to be this verbally negative towards any artist or subject--especially in an interview

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 29, 2010 06:11

Of course, when he likes Jazz - then he doesn't like Beatles music. That's logic.

Posted by: EalingClub ()
Date: January 29, 2010 06:34

"I've never been a big Beatles fan. Of RINGO, yes, but not of the music."
Typical attention grabbing headline "Hated the Beatles" when he simply says he isn't a big fan.

As for the 'Honestly, I couldn't care less if it were over and done with the Stones tomorrow.' Charlie quits the band after every tour.

Posted by: STONESat ()
Date: January 29, 2010 11:29

This is a translation back to English from an Austrian newspaper article described here. Even the german version seems more than implausible and is obviously not "one" interview, but only collected snippets the interviewer heard or wanted to hear.
And remember, Charlie's dialect is extremely hard to understand for German speaking...

Wolfgang

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 29, 2010 11:36

Pretty credible, especially if you imagine his voice saying those words - they have Charlie written all over them. He's clearly loving what he's doing now in a small operation that's a helluva lot less hassle. He doesn't need the money, the limelight or the adulation - he's happy with the quiet life, so why should he care about anything else. But that doesn't mean to say he won't go on tour again. He damn well better had do!!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 29, 2010 11:44

Doesn's sound like Charlie at all. He would never say he "hated Elvis." This is typical for no-name people desperately trying to attract some attention. It is more than pathetic to think Charlie would need to say things like that. He is a gentlemen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-29 11:45 by Happy24.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 29, 2010 11:57

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 21:34 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 29, 2010 12:00

STONESat
This is a translation back to English from an Austrian newspaper article described here. Even the german version seems more than implausible and is obviously not "one" interview, but only collected snippets the interviewer heard or wanted to hear.
And remember, Charlie's dialect is extremely hard to understand for German speaking...

Wolfgang

What dialect? I understand him pretty well.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: January 29, 2010 12:27

It's more of a London accent rather than a dialect, slightly cockney...plus I've always thought he spoke as if he had permanent cold.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 29, 2010 12:58

windmelody
STONESat

Wolfgang

What dialect? I understand him pretty well.

What's not to understand when Charlie speaks?
he doesn't speak hastily nor does he have an accent - except english, lol.
he's ever so cool, calm and collected.

I agree with Beast - those words have Charlie written all over them.

Watts: Ich war nie ein großer Beatles-Fan. Von Ringo, ja! Aber nicht von der Musik. Ich hab’ auch Elvis immer gehasst. Er war der Letzte, an dem ich mich orientieren wollte. Miles Davis und Fats Domino ja, aber Elvis – nein!

the only one I wouldn't trust is the new german foreign minister...yikes

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLYGPWQ0VjY

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: January 29, 2010 15:16

Charlie, me too. I hate beatles and elvis. :-)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 29, 2010 15:23

..and OASIS

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 29, 2010 15:28

This is an example how to turn something known into great news. I never thought that Charlie Watts dances through his house while listening to "You ain't nothing but a houndog". I knew that he is not a Beatles fan. The Stones have reached anything they could reach, so why should Charlie be sad when they retire.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 29, 2010 15:43

How can one hate Elvis?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 29, 2010 15:46

Charlie said in 1981:

I love this band, but it doesn't mean everything to me. I always think this band is going to fold up all the time - I really do. I never thought it would last five minutes, but I figured I'd live that five minutes to the hilt because I love them. They're bigger than I am if you really want to know. I admire them, I like them as friends, I argue with them and I love them. They're part of my life and they've been part of my life for a lot of years now. I don't really care if it stops, though, quite honestly. I don't care if I retire now, but I don't know what I'd do if I stopped doing this. I'd go mad.

Charlie said in 1989:

I got off the plane in '72 and said No @#$%& more because I don't actually like touring and I don't like living out of suitcases. I hate being away from home. I always do tours thinking they're the last one, and at the end of them I always leave the band. Because of what I do I can't play the drums at home so to play the drums I have to go on the road, and to go on the road I have to leave home and it's like a terribly vicious circle that's always been my life.

Charlie said in 2000:

I'd be scared of stopping. What I do is play the drums. I've never found anything to take its place. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't do it. As you get older, you suddenly have this number in front of you and you haven't got a great deal of time left. You panic a bit. Two years' touring out of that is prime time...

So what's new?

(Source, of course is the highly recommended site timeisonourside

Posted by: MARSBAR ()
Date: January 29, 2010 18:56

Thats funny!!Elvis liked Charlie.grinning smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 29, 2010 20:16

Thats because everyone likes Charlie--I agree with Charlie i don't like elvis or beatles either...Its more the fake
image thing i think he doesn't care for and not so much the people...

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 29, 2010 21:33

Sounds like something Charlie could have said. Remember, Charlie never did care for pop music - he was always a jazz, blues, and r&b fan (notice he did say he liked Fats). And with this jazz stint he's on now, he is showing he can do what he loves and go on the road playing the drums without having to play with the Stones. I can also see Charlie not caring for Elvis - Charlie is a musician's musician, he doesn't care about frontmen really, and he doesn't care about show-offs (Elvis was both).

Date: January 30, 2010 01:58

theimposter
Sounds like something Charlie could have said. Remember, Charlie never did care for pop music - he was always a jazz, blues, and r&b fan (notice he did say he liked Fats). And with this jazz stint he's on now, he is showing he can do what he loves and go on the road playing the drums without having to play with the Stones. I can also see Charlie not caring for Elvis - Charlie is a musician's musician, he doesn't care about frontmen really, and he doesn't care about show-offs (Elvis was both).
Elvis was Elvis...he just had idiots around him,like that @#$%& Parker etc,getting too big has its major drawbacks...look at M.Jackson,a great entertainer just too bloody big!!!smoking smiley

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 30, 2010 02:00

Well I consider myself a pretty big Elvis fan, I was just saying that knowing Charlie's personality I find it easy to believe that he wouldn't be a fan.

Date: January 30, 2010 02:27

theimposter
Well I consider myself a pretty big Elvis fan, I was just saying that knowing Charlie's personality I find it easy to believe that he wouldn't be a fan.
I agree with Charlie myself,early Elvis was good....then all downhill,but having yourself surrounded with Hangers-on didnt help the guy.smoking smiley

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: January 30, 2010 13:30

Charlies allowed his opinion.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 30, 2010 18:30

"Honestly, I couldn't care less if it were over and done with the Stones tomorrow."

Funny how whether or not Charlie actually said that that he says what everyone says.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 30, 2010 19:13

Great quote about the Stones from ????

Mick and Keith want to be each other and they all want to be Charlie.

Date: January 30, 2010 20:03

"Great quote about the Stones from ????"

WHAT? What is the question?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 30, 2010 23:38

"Charlie Watts "Honestly, I couldn't care less if it were over and done with the Stones tomorrow."

Really? drinking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 30, 2010 23:46

But he has said in recent interviews that the Stones are his life..heard him say it on a British radio show (don't remember the host's name) last year I think..
and that is why he will do 2 year long tours..

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 30, 2010 23:58

BTW, I am looking for pics of Red Rodney & Charlie London gig in 1992 cool smiley

[www.iorr.org]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: January 31, 2010 01:42

It doesn't matter if he said it or not - the point is it is true!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home