Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: O.T :National nicknames
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 19, 2010 01:57

A few wartime favourites

Jerries - Germans
Ities - Italians
Japs - Japanse.

Can't say any of 'em now, though!

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: June 19, 2010 02:24

The man is right, this thread could lead to trouble or, at least, offence but if you start a thread and ask for info....

If you've never heard of Americans being called Yanks or French being called Frogs, well where have you been? These expressions date back to our grandfathers' time. Likewise, Italians were Wops, Spaniards = Dagos or Spics, Germans = Krauts, Chinese = Chinks, Pakinstanis = Pakis, Scottish = Jocks and so on.

Nicknames relating to nationality are usually accepted with fairly good humour, as we English accept Limey or Rosbif ( although I've only ever seen this jibe in written form, never spoken). It's when jibes are racial that the trouble starts - we all know the most common expressions relating to blacks, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, etc and there's no place for such expressions here or any other place.

In England, we have regional nicknames of course, often based on football related prejudices, so people from Birmingham are Brummies, from Newcastle = Geordies, Liverpool = Scousers, Londoners = Cockneys, usually prefaced by an Anglo Saxon adjective beginning with the letter 'f'.

When did these derogatory expressions start in the music scene, I wonder? We've heard of Headbangers, Metalheads, Punks, etc. Anyone know any more?

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 19, 2010 02:27

Hey Cindy--The Chinese own America. Use the Socratic Method and You have your answer.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 19, 2010 02:30

Midnight Toker
Hey Cindy--The Chinese own America. Use the Socratic Method and You have your answer.

I know, silly. - I was kidding.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 19, 2010 02:41

We live in such a ludicrously politically correct society. One has to ask oneself: just what the hell can I actually say?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 19, 2010 02:45

Big Al
We live in such a ludicrously politically correct society. One has to ask oneself: just what the hell can I actually say?

please don't ridicule our political correct society - it's so un-pc....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2010 12:39

.......BE CAREFUL Sway....

Melbourne AGE .................................... 19 June 2010

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 19, 2010 12:46

Big Al

Nothing, you cockney wa**ker.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-19 12:49 by Gazza.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 19, 2010 12:48

Elmo
In England, we have regional nicknames of course, often based on football related prejudices, so people from Birmingham are Brummies, from Newcastle = Geordies, Liverpool = Scousers, Londoners = Cockneys, usually prefaced by an Anglo Saxon adjective beginning with the letter 'f'.

Dont the people from those cities actually refer to themselves in those terms?

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 19, 2010 13:12

Rockman
Aussie's don't care what ya call 'em

the convicts seems the most popular name for the Aussie's

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 19, 2010 13:14

Gazza
Dont the people from those cities actually refer to themselves in those terms?

Yes, and then you get even deeper nicknames within areas of certain regions. such as yam yams, tatters, dogheads, dingleberries etc etc

all good fun

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2010 13:15

.... Hey Yeah mate... we's all convicts down here ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 19, 2010 13:16

Lorenz
Don't you call the Germans Krauts? We can call them Piefke in Austria. They call us Ösis or Schluchtenscheißer (valley shitters). The Italians are "Katzlmacher" (originally lier).

Nenn mich nicht Piefke, du Schluchtenscheißer! smileys with beer

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: June 19, 2010 15:28

71Tele there'a nothing wrong with the speling hereeye rolling smiley. Adrian you might want to look at your puncutation and copy this out three time's in your best writingspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

71Tele
Adrian-L
Jock's - Scottish
Taffy's - Welsh
Mick's/Paddy's - Irish

and yes, they are deemed offensive.

The Jocks, Taffys, and Paddys (or Taffies and Paddies), might be more offended by your spelling than your use of these nicknames.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 19, 2010 16:21

In France there was a nice nickname for Germans : "doryphores" in English "Colorado potato beetle".

Why? Because during WWII they used to steal all our potatoes to feed their own troops, leaving us in semi-starvation.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 19, 2010 17:13

I think "It's when jibes are racial that the trouble starts - we all know the most common expressions relating to blacks, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, etc and there's no place for such expressions here or any other place." is bordering on being short sighted and rather parochial

We need to be cathartic toward PCness because it is just giving weight to these words that in all seriousness they cannot reasonably be be expected to bear. For example (in English at least, why don't we call a woman a "wo". Or refer to her (or was that "r") to "s" instead of "she"?

At schools whites boards are just that - white boards and textas are used to write on them. However, chalkboards are not blackboards. What does this tell a kid in school? There is something hideous about the colour black that they may view it but never dare speak its name?

Religion is just that. Who should care if someone called you a "kike" or a "towell head" or anything else? They are just words. The have no power. By making such extreme measures available to all the PC do gooders the word "nigger" can make paople (of any colour as well I mean) become enraged with fury. And yet had they just passively ignored the word, the person having said it would look like the two bit turd that he/she is. And everyone else has no need to reach for a defibrillators.

Frog, Ding, Dego, Kiwi, Gook, Itai - are in all ways at times meant nastily and other times in jest.

We were all born on Earth and they arejust words. How much, if any power you wanna givem is your choice. You have a reasoning mind. Why noy use it?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 19, 2010 17:36

squando
I think "It's when jibes are racial that the trouble starts - we all know the most common expressions relating to blacks, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, etc and there's no place for such expressions here or any other place." is bordering on being short sighted and rather parochial

We need to be cathartic toward PCness because it is just giving weight to these words that in all seriousness they cannot reasonably be be expected to bear. For example (in English at least, why don't we call a woman a "wo". Or refer to her (or was that "r") to "s" instead of "she"?

At schools whites boards are just that - white boards and textas are used to write on them. However, chalkboards are not blackboards. What does this tell a kid in school? There is something hideous about the colour black that they may view it but never dare speak its name?

Religion is just that. Who should care if someone called you a "kike" or a "towell head" or anything else? They are just words. The have no power. By making such extreme measures available to all the PC do gooders the word "nigger" can make paople (of any colour as well I mean) become enraged with fury. And yet had they just passively ignored the word, the person having said it would look like the two bit turd that he/she is. And everyone else has no need to reach for a defibrillators.

Frog, Ding, Dego, Kiwi, Gook, Itai - are in all ways at times meant nastily and other times in jest.

We were all born on Earth and they arejust words. How much, if any power you wanna givem is your choice. You have a reasoning mind. Why noy use it?

I don't know if you've ever seen the film Lenny, with Dustin Hoffman as Lenny Bruce, but your post reminds me of this sequence:

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 19, 2010 17:58

Thanks so much for that loog droog and no I've never seen the film. But how impressive is the point? That said (1000 times better of course) what I did in my previous post. And how true is it?

Must get the flic now. Man just how good is Hoffman?

smoking smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 19, 2010 22:54

skipstone
When I went to Toronto I was warned, repeatedly, not to call any French Canadians 'frogs' because the French take offense to that. I've never figured out why. Not sure how being called an amphibian can be insulting. But I paid heed.

There are nearly zero French-Canadians in Toronto. You'll mosty find them in Quebec, New Brunswick, and small towns in eastern Ontario. But the rest of the country is quite English. 80% to be exact, including myself.

We do have two official languages though, so that may be why Americans think there's more french here than there really is. It's more an afterthought to most Canadians who live west of Ottawa. "oh yeah, we have french people here too somewhere".

They do get quite upset though when you call them frogs, that is true! I wouldn't recommend it, especially at a hockey game!!!

btw, Canadians are called Canucks. It's not considered offensive or derogotory, but I think some Americans think it is and try to use is that way.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-19 22:58 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: June 19, 2010 23:14

jamesfdouglas
btw, Canadians are called Canucks. It's not considered offensive or derogotory, but I think some Americans think it is and try to use is that way.

when i lived in vermont, the canucks living there were offended when we called them canucks...oh, maybe that's cos we prefaced it with "stupid"....that just occurred to me...

Date: June 19, 2010 23:25

Offeneded or just mildy annoyed?

[www.metacafe.com]

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 19, 2010 23:26

kleermaker
[.>>To my Dutch ears there's an essential difference between using the 'nicknames' CoonAss and Nigger/Polak. Because the latter is a matter of racism and refers to slavery, apartheid, discrimination and the holocaust<<

You are absolutely right,kleermaker .
I've edited my post .

Date: June 19, 2010 23:29

jamesfdouglas

yeah, they were prolly too stoopid to be offended....

Date: June 19, 2010 23:33

kleermaker
SwayStones

Listen to Jagger in Bob Harris' interview :

. But more interesting: look what happens between Jagger and Wood at 3:37, when Jagger bitches Wood off. Keep on looking at Wood's face: here we see a schoolboy, just corrected by the headmaster. It says all about Wood's status in the band, already in 1977. Charlie is playing the 'sideman' like we know him.

I am glad you noticed it.

Did you ever wonder why I chose it as /for my signature on IORR ?

Date: June 19, 2010 23:36

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas

But smart enough to wear a Canadian pin when travelling abroad so they're not mistaken for Americans - especially in the last 9 years or so. winking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-19 23:37 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: June 19, 2010 23:46

Elmo

If you've never heard of Americans being called Yanks or French being called Frogs, well where have you been? .?

Did I say this / I said that ?
I've heard about "frogs " or "yankees" many a long time ago ....I bet you can't remember it ...
I was just wondering .Intellectual curiosity .

Date: June 19, 2010 23:48

jamesfdouglas
StonesTod
jamesfdouglas

But smart enough to wear a Canadian pin when travelling abroad so they're not mistaken for Americans - especially in the last 9 years or so. winking smiley

even some of us stupid americans aren't so stupid not to wear canadian pins while abroad....

Date: June 20, 2010 00:12

Rockman
Aussie's don't care what ya call 'em.....

Do you remember when I asked you :
"What does "Down Under " mean ?
>>Australia is the land down under<<

Date: June 20, 2010 00:30

Rockman
.......BE CAREFUL Sway....

Melbourne AGE .................................... 19 June 2010

I am not on "Bushmeat hunting" but i DO know some companies facilitate commercial hunting and delivery of bushmeat to market.
Btw,are you sure of the "Bush" spelling ?

Date: June 20, 2010 00:46

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
StonesTod
jamesfdouglas

even some of us stupid americans aren't so stupid not to wear canadian pins while abroad....

That happened in London once. Saw an American wearing one. Good thing he was a polite, worldly, charming & intelligent person - he got away with it!

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home