Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 38
Re: I wanna hear Brian
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: June 20, 2010 21:16

These are the instruments Brian (most likely) played on the Between The Buttons sessions:
The ones marked by ? are doubtful

GUITAR: Have You Seen Your Mother / Please Go Home? / Miss Amanda Jones? / Get Yourself Together?

HARMONICA: Who´s Driving Your Plane / Who´s Been Sleeping Here?

DULCIMER: Cool, Calm, Collected / If You Let Me? (“Aftermath” sessions?)

RECORDER: Ruby Tuesday / All Sold Out

ORGAN: Complicated / Backstreet Girl? / Let´s Spend The Night Together?

PIANO: Ruby Tuesday / Let´s Spend The Night Together?

VIBRAPHONE and/or XYLOPHONE: Yesterday´s Papers

ACCORDION?: Backstreet Girl

SAX and/or TROMBONE: Something Happened To Me Yesterday

Other BRASS?: Something Happened To Me Yesterday

KAZOO: Trouble In Mind / Cool, Calm, Collected?

GLOCKENSPIEL?: Backstreet Girl

PERCUSSION: Connection (tambourine) / possibly others, too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-20 21:18 by rootsman.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 20, 2010 21:53

tonterapi
It's there, according to His Majesty (and I trust his ears), but it's very low in the mix and most of what he play is in the same register as the bass wich blur him out. If you have the 25x5 documentary Brian is more audible on the YCAGWYW take from RnR-Circus than on the official release.quote]

I did notice that (I wore out a copy of 25x5 back in the day!) there's another guitar in that clip (when Keith's saying - some things better better with age). It's bright/high sounding, almost like an overdubbed acoustic. Is that Brian??

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 20, 2010 22:51

I continue to read all these phrases with "how bad Jagger/Richards treated Jones", in some form or another.

Let's be the devil's advocate here: what a burden was Brian to the second-most creative duo in the world? Here you are, 26 years old and on top of the world musically, ready to start a four year streak of best-ever Rock albums with a band that is going to be called "the Greatest band in the World" in one year time -and there's this washed up alcoholic slumped in the corned on a one-too-many acid trip, weeping over the loss of his girl to that ever so succesful guitarist and writer of the band you started...

I wouldn't hasitate a bit to throw him out.

Mathijs

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: June 20, 2010 22:56

neptune
Pretty sad that this would purposely be done. Silencing Brian during his last video appearance with the Stones is as low as it gets.
Maybe it had to be done to give the story about "too high and too weak to play" some credit. winking smiley

marvpeck
How many folks have been present when a rock band is creating a song? They don't come in as complete songs. Just some chords and some lyrics. Brian role as a "colorist" is what takes the Stones songs over the top. Most rock songs are the same. What makes them different is that "color" Brian could hear what the song needed and he could add it.
The albums do most of the time say "produced by the Rolling Stones". So Brian gets credit for his instrumental skills in that. But you do point out something important about how bands work and how song writing works generally in bands. Discussing credits is interesting even though we lack info about what happend in the studio when the Stones recorded in the 60's. It's both difficult and sensetive to question the holy Jagger/Richards credit because of that. Personally I believe that there are cracks in that wall...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-20 22:58 by tonterapi.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: June 20, 2010 23:04

"Let's be the devil's advocate here: what a burden was Brian to the second-most creative duo in the world? Here you are, 26 years old and on top of the world musically, ready to start a four year streak of best-ever Rock albums with a band that is going to be called "the Greatest band in the World" in one year time -and there's this washed up alcoholic slumped in the corned on a one-too-many acid trip, weeping over the loss of his girl to that ever so succesful guitarist and writer of the band you started...

I wouldn't hasitate a bit to throw him out."

Mathijs

So, would you have tossed Keith out a few years later?

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 20, 2010 23:09

marvpeck
"Let's be the devil's advocate here: what a burden was Brian to the second-most creative duo in the world? Here you are, 26 years old and on top of the world musically, ready to start a four year streak of best-ever Rock albums with a band that is going to be called "the Greatest band in the World" in one year time -and there's this washed up alcoholic slumped in the corned on a one-too-many acid trip, weeping over the loss of his girl to that ever so succesful guitarist and writer of the band you started...

I wouldn't hasitate a bit to throw him out."

Mathijs

So, would you have tossed Keith out a few years later?

Rediculous question. Keith wrote over 80% of all Stones tracks up the around '77, he IS the Stones up to that point. No Richards, no Stones tracks.

Mathijs

Date: June 20, 2010 23:28

Mathijs
I continue to read all these phrases with "how bad Jagger/Richards treated Jones", in some form or another.

Let's be the devil's advocate here: what a burden was Brian to the second-most creative duo in the world? Here you are, 26 years old and on top of the world musically, ready to start a four year streak of best-ever Rock albums with a band that is going to be called "the Greatest band in the World" in one year time -and there's this washed up alcoholic slumped in the corned on a one-too-many acid trip, weeping over the loss of his girl to that ever so succesful guitarist and writer of the band you started...

Mathijs
I wouldn't give Anita that much credit for making Brian a wreck. He seem to have accepted the situation and moved on sometime during 1967. I'd say that Brian's total collision course with the GT started after the second bust. It seem to have triggered both depression and paranoia inside him to an extent where he became a non-functioning member by not showing up at sessions. The GT:s answered by not encourage him when he did show up despite knowing about his problems - instead they decided that he should really feel that he wasn't needed by ignoring him or telling the producer to show him the door when he arrived. In a way I can understand them but it wasn't a good solution - rather childish and cruel. Brian was fragile to begin with so it probably damaged him more than it would with somebody else.

That said, even though he did got his shit together during the last months of his life it was the best for both him and the Stones to go seperate ways. Their relationship was far too damaged. Brian has been described as cheerful and excited after the split so it seems that it only had a good effect on him.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 20, 2010 23:46

jamesfdouglas

I did notice that (I wore out a copy of 25x5 back in the day!) there's another guitar in that clip (when Keith's saying - some things better better with age). It's bright/high sounding, almost like an overdubbed acoustic. Is that Brian??

No that's probably a Keith overdub.

Date: June 21, 2010 00:04

tonterapi
neptune
Pretty sad that this would purposely be done. Silencing Brian during his last video appearance with the Stones is as low as it gets.
Maybe it had to be done to give the story about "too high and too weak to play" some credit. winking smiley

marvpeck
How many folks have been present when a rock band is creating a song? They don't come in as complete songs. Just some chords and some lyrics. Brian role as a "colorist" is what takes the Stones songs over the top. Most rock songs are the same. What makes them different is that "color" Brian could hear what the song needed and he could add it.
The albums do most of the time say "produced by the Rolling Stones". So Brian gets credit for his instrumental skills in that. But you do point out something important about how bands work and how song writing works generally in bands. Discussing credits is interesting even though we lack info about what happend in the studio when the Stones recorded in the 60's. It's both difficult and sensetive to question the holy Jagger/Richards credit because of that. Personally I believe that there are cracks in that wall...

Brian and the others all get credit for their instrumental contributions via 'arranged by The Rolling Stones', production is a whole other thing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 21, 2010 00:15

<Rediculous question. Keith wrote over 80% of all Stones tracks up the around '77, he IS the Stones up to that point. No Richards, no Stones tracks.>

Mathijs.

I would say no Jagger no Stones tracks too.

I heard Harlem shuffle this evening (watching Brazil) Great vocals ,bass and drums. The guitar playing?? Wipe it.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: June 21, 2010 00:46

Here's Bill's version about Brian ;

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 21, 2010 01:05

His Majesty
Brian and the others all get credit for their instrumental contributions via 'arranged by The Rolling Stones', production is a whole other thing.

True. I think the only Stones album that says "Produced by The Rolling Stones" (not counting additional people, ie Glynn Johns on Ya-Yas, and not The GTs) is Satanic Majesties.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 21, 2010 02:00

Amsterdamned
<Charlie and Bill didn't play a hero's role concerning Brian. Their attitude was very consequently accepting the leading role of the Glimmers and remaining passive as much as possible. They were 'sidemen', though not without responsibility. Brian surely must have been a difficult person, regarding his relationships with women, his many children at such a young age, his violent behaviour etc. But none of those things is an excuse to treat someone, a fellow bandmember notably, that badly as Jagger and Richards treated Brian.
It may not be a secret that I like the Taylor-era most (followed by the Brian-era), but I'm glad that Taylor took the consequences and resigned by surprise, leaving the Glimmers with a musical loss they never could restore. Revenge for Brian as yet
.><Kleermaker>

Not so easy to judge about the relationship between Brian and the GT's..

I don't think Taylor left out of revenge for Brian,it's not in his nature..
But apart from that I whole-hearted agree on your entire post.

Of course Taylor didn't do that, Amsterdamned. I meant: revenge for Brian as yet, but not intentionally.

Date: June 21, 2010 02:16

His Majesty
Very true HM. My bad.

Posted by: pdw ()
Date: June 21, 2010 04:35

What about Sittin on a Fence on the Flowers album (US release)and one of my favorite early albums...not a bad song on it!! This song has fantastic acoustic guitar interplay with 2 acoustic guitars clearly audible. I always wanted to believe that it was Brian and Keith. What do you think? Does anyone really know?

Date: June 21, 2010 12:14

pdw
What about Sittin on a Fence on the Flowers album (US release)and one of my favorite early albums...not a bad song on it!! This song has fantastic acoustic guitar interplay with 2 acoustic guitars clearly audible. I always wanted to believe that it was Brian and Keith. What do you think? Does anyone really know?

The guitars are in stereo, given the time of recording strongly implies one of them, probably the more lead orientated, is an overdub.

I think it's likely that both are by Keith.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 21, 2010 12:37

tonterapi
If you have the 25x5 documentary Brian is more audible on the YCAGWYW take from RnR-Circus than on the official release ...
I guess somebody (no names mentioned) took the opportunity in 1996 to lower his guitar in an attempt to diminish his role in the band even further

oops sorry - i see HM has already addressed this, but maybe it's worth emphasizing:
if you mean the acoustic: that was an overdub by Keith, not an "erased Brian" -
nothing to judge anyone harshly over

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-21 12:41 by with sssoul.

Date: June 21, 2010 13:16

DiamondDog7
Here's Bill's version about Brian ;

Let the Stones do the guitar's and singing, and you'll hear a couple of reasonable Stones songs. Same for Taylor's and Woodies compositions.

Date: June 21, 2010 14:15

with sssoul
oops sorry - i see HM has already addressed this, but maybe it's worth emphasizing:
if you mean the acoustic: that was an overdub by Keith, not an "erased Brian" -
nothing to judge anyone harshly over
No, I only meant Brian's electric guitar wich I feel has been lowered in the mix when they decided to release RnR Circus on VHS and later DVD. I can barely (and that is barely) hear him at all on the official release. That is something more people than me has noticed and keeping Brian's guitar low wasn't something the Stones used to do in the past. In the clip from the 25x5 documentary I think that his guitar can be heard slightly better. It was a long time since I watched it though so I might be wrong on that.

Since Brian still seem to be a sore thumb in the Stones camp I don't hesitate to think that lowering him was made on purpose. By whom - nobody knows so I don't judge anyone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-21 14:18 by tonterapi.

Date: June 21, 2010 15:34

Brians guitar on the 25X5 R&R Circus clip isn't any louder than the officially released CD/DVD version.

Slightly more detailed info and 2 outtakes where you can hear Brian more clearly can be found here...

[www.iorr.org]

Date: June 21, 2010 16:04

kleermaker
Amsterdamned
<Charlie and Bill didn't play a hero's role concerning Brian. Their attitude was very consequently accepting the leading role of the Glimmers and remaining passive as much as possible. They were 'sidemen', though not without responsibility. Brian surely must have been a difficult person, regarding his relationships with women, his many children at such a young age, his violent behaviour etc. But none of those things is an excuse to treat someone, a fellow bandmember notably, that badly as Jagger and Richards treated Brian.
It may not be a secret that I like the Taylor-era most (followed by the Brian-era), but I'm glad that Taylor took the consequences and resigned by surprise, leaving the Glimmers with a musical loss they never could restore. Revenge for Brian as yet
.><Kleermaker>

Of course Taylor didn't do that, Amsterdamned. I meant: revenge for Brian as yet, but not intentionally.

I know Kleermaker, I know.cool smiley

Date: June 21, 2010 16:10

His Majesty
Brians guitar on the 25X5 R&R Circus clip isn't any louder than the officially released CD/DVD version.

Slightly more detailed info and 2 outtakes where you can hear Brian more clearly can be found here...

[www.iorr.org]
I stand corrected. Thanks for sharing HM!

Date: June 21, 2010 16:36

Amsterdamned
kleermaker
Amsterdamned
.><Kleermaker>

To be perfectly clear: I meant to say that Taylor didn't do that intentionally (revenge for Brian). See it as a side-effect of his action. God punishes always (even the Glimmers), you only never know when!

Date: June 21, 2010 16:43

kleermaker
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
Amsterdamned
.><Kleermaker>

To be perfectly clear: I meant to say that Taylor didn't do that intentionally (revenge for Brian). See it as a side-effect of his action. God punishes always (even the Glimmers), you only never know when!

I think they have been punished for at least 35 years,but than: "Ecce Homo".winking smiley

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: June 21, 2010 16:50

To get back to the original question/topic, here are my favourite Brian moments from the later years:

Lady Jane (dulcimer)

Under My Thumb (marimbas)

Paint It Black (sitar, acoustic guitar)

Ruby Tuesday (recorder, piano)

Dandelion (soprano sax and maybe harpsichord)

We Love You (mellotron)

Gomper (dulcimer, flute)

2000 Light Years From Home (mellotron)

Child Of The Moon (soprano sax)

Pay Your Dues / Street Fighting Man (sitar, tamboura)

No Expectations (slide guitar)

Still A Fool (slide guitar)

grinning smiley

Date: June 21, 2010 17:05

Amsterdamned
kleermaker
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
Amsterdamned
.><Kleermaker>

I think they have been punished for at least 35 years,but than: "Ecce Homo".winking smiley

Yeah, God wasn't mild for the Glimmers. But we on our turn have suffered from the side-effect of His harshness!

I want to listen to No Expectations now and enjoy Brian's slide playing. Thank God the Glimmers didn't remove it!

Date: June 21, 2010 17:06

Nice selection rootsman! The flute on Gomper is a Recorder. thumbs up

I'd add his Vibraphone part on Yesterdays Papers, some great playing there.

Date: June 21, 2010 17:24

Found it:

Bad spelling of the title, but the sound is great!

Date: June 21, 2010 17:29

Mathijs

Mathijs
i also would snatch anita away from brian .what a smoking hot lady back then .

Date: June 21, 2010 17:36

The Greek
Mathijs

Mathijs
i also would snatch anita away from brian .what a smoking hot lady back then .

Keith did it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home