Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Luxury in 1975
Date: November 9, 2009 22:21

Since there is no video of this song being performed, does anyone know what guitar Keef used for Luxury? Was it a standard tuning or Open G?

Re: Luxury in 1975
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 9, 2009 23:02

[email protected]
Since there is no video of this song being performed, does anyone know what guitar Keef used for Luxury? Was it a standard tuning or Open G?

Open G, Zemaitis Skull&Bones five string.

Mathijs

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: November 9, 2009 23:49

This song never seemed to get the crowd going but it sounded great.

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: November 10, 2009 00:04

yeah like it, played at buffalo & Toronto , but not in the 75 set list in fact, where else !?

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: November 10, 2009 01:09

Yeah, like Fingerprint File was a great choice to get the crowd going - not.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 10, 2009 02:21

jeanmarie
yeah like it, played at buffalo & Toronto , but not in the 75 set list in fact, where else !?

They played it in San Antonio (first show), but there is no available recording. You can find it on at least one of the Boston shows, maybe both, in pretty good quality. Maybe Kansas City or Milwaukee? Erik will show up eventually..

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 10, 2009 02:27

texas fan
jeanmarie

They played it in San Antonio (first show), but there is no available recording. You can find it on at least one of the Boston shows, maybe both, in pretty good quality. Maybe Kansas City or Milwaukee? Erik will show up eventually..

Oh I'm here, staying low - well they did Luxury for (just about) every show during June 1st-June 17th 1975 - but Jean Marie knows that allready..... I guess he's wondering; why the heck didn't they keep on doing it for the rest of the tour?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-10 13:12 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: November 10, 2009 03:44

I was at the KC show - where they did play it - still pretty rough but really enjoyed it. We recorded this show (snuck a cassette player sewn into a pillow) at Arrowhead stadium (lost it long ago - but after many hours of enjoyment).

During this song, Keiths guitar cord slipped out of the jack and he had to take a couple of bars to get plugged back in. Played a tele on this - as I recall one of the 5-string naturals (Macawber?). I have always thought the recorded sound of the rhythm was awesomely thick and punchy - and he got exactly that sound doing it live.

Not especially tight, but no reason it couldn't have become a crowd pleaser.

Date: November 10, 2009 10:07

<During this song, Keiths guitar cord slipped out of the jack and he had to take a couple of bars to get plugged back in.>

Accidents like these often result in the song being skipped in the next setlist. They must be superstitious smiling smiley

Date: November 10, 2009 15:26

Thanks for all the input. I was playing around with it on my open g guitar, and was just wondering if that is how he played it.

Thanks again.

Date: November 10, 2009 22:37

mstmst
I was at the KC show - where they did play it - still pretty rough but really enjoyed it. We recorded this show (snuck a cassette player sewn into a pillow) at Arrowhead stadium (lost it long ago - but after many hours of enjoyment).

During this song, Keiths guitar cord slipped out of the jack and he had to take a couple of bars to get plugged back in. Played a tele on this - as I recall one of the 5-string naturals (Macawber?). I have always thought the recorded sound of the rhythm was awesomely thick and punchy - and he got exactly that sound doing it live.

Not especially tight, but no reason it couldn't have become a crowd pleaser.

Of course everthing is possible, but on the 72 to 81 tours Keith seemed to have used any of his blonde Tele's only on songs where he needed a capo on the fourth or fifth fret. For any other open G song he would use different guitars -Strat in 72, Newman Jones in 73, Zemaitis in 75 to 76. Starting from 78 he does use Tele's: Micawber in 78, and the 67 Sunburst from 81 on.

On the couple of Luxury recordings we have from the 75 tour he used the Zemaitis for sure, judging on the sound.

Mathijs

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 10, 2009 22:46

Date: November 10, 2009 23:00

Mathijs,
Do you have or know of anyone who has Luxury Tabbed out for Open g?

Date: November 10, 2009 23:16

It's all straight chords except the F, which is played as a sus chord on the fifth fret (the second chord of the intro to Start Me Up).

Mathijs

Date: November 11, 2009 00:27

Thanks Mathijs! I was playing F down at the 10th fret. This makes it a lot easier.

Date: November 11, 2009 01:07

[email protected]
Thanks Mathijs! I was playing F down at the 10th fret. This makes it a lot easier.

Well, Keith does that as well live, so you're in the ballpark!

Mathijs

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: January 17, 2010 17:04

Who plays the solo on this?

Date: January 17, 2010 17:51

ohcarol
Who plays the solo on this?

All guitars are Richards, Taylor does not play on it.

Mathijs

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: January 17, 2010 19:26

love fills and solo...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home