Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The 1964 Mike Douglas show : Carol, Tell me + interview.
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 17, 2010 06:46

Bill Wyman in his skinny jeans. And all the kids today thought it was a new thing.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 17, 2010 07:25

Today Mike Douglas and the Stones would be accused of anti-gay humor, of making judgmental hetero-normative comments.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: June 17, 2010 10:38

It could be that the boys played another track at the Mike Douglas: I just wanna make love to you. Zentgraf is reporting I wanna be your man, but I doubt.

The same day, June 18, a Cleveland TV channel aired the band playing Carol. Ot could be that it's the same performance.

Two days later, on June 20, at the Clay Cole Show in New York, they played the same set: Carol, Tell me , Not fade away + interview w. Clay Cole. Was this a new performance or the same one filmed at the Mike Douglas with different host?

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:40

The Sicilian
Bill Wyman in his skinny jeans. And all the kids today thought it was a new thing.

Mmm....and flared trousers/pants were new in the 90s

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 17, 2010 17:53

WeLoveYou
The Sicilian

Mmm....and flared trousers/pants were new in the 90s

It was definitely the trousers...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 17, 2010 18:24

behroez
mccparty
Did Keith introduce himself as Keith Richard (no "s")?

Yes after the drug thing (1977) he had to change his lifestyle and as a symbol of that new beginning he changed his name from Richard to Richards.

Well, he didnt have to "change" it since his name always was Richards (the one he was born with), Richard was just done stage-wise so to speak....

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 17, 2010 18:48

WOW !!
I 've never see this one .
Thanks straycat (I need some more time to translate it .)

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: June 17, 2010 21:43

Carol sounded great. Appears to be completely live (I don't remember that brief instrumental pause from the album). I thought I even detected a bit of weaving between Keith and Brian.

But why go from live Carol to canned versions of Tell Me and Not Fade Away?

Tell Me is a particularly bad choice for a canned performance as it has the layered vocals and fades out.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: June 17, 2010 21:50

It's obvious that Tell Me was a much more complex production with all sorts, including a kettle drum to start the entire thing off.

I think it was one of their better early Jagger-Richard songs.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 17, 2010 22:33

Funny to see Brian miming Keith's backup vocals on Tell Me - makes sense on TV because after all only he and Mick have vocal mikes.

Great clip of Oh Carol though. Thank you.

Date: June 18, 2010 00:30

But why go from live Carol to canned versions of Tell Me and Not Fade Away?

Not Fade Away IS live....

Date: June 18, 2010 01:29

Brian is on the original backing vocal of Tell Me, so you would expect him to be miming it on the playback.

Posted by: steve1950 ()
Date: June 18, 2010 05:14

tough crowd on Mick T rhythm! I enjoyed both the Jones and Taylor years. Very different bands. I do they the Stones were at their best when Keith is playing rhythm. Cool clip thanks for sharing. Brian gone almost 40 years.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: June 18, 2010 07:34

straycat58

Brian kidding on Mick being more popular with the men... Sublime!

I felt the same way, and I thought it was very funny and charming the way Mick said "He's having you on, he's saying I'm more popular with men". I felt Mick really took it as a joke and thought it was funny schoolboy humor, which I'm sure was typical of them at the time.

I also thought it was interesting the way Brian immediately makes his way over to Mike Douglas and Mick when they start talking. Of course, the host always goes for the singer, so I'm not knocking Mick, and I'm not saying Brian was jealous or anything, it's just something that does stand out. I'm guessing Brian was still probably the closest thing to group leader they had at that point, and felt he should still speak for them.

Mick seemed pretty consistent back then, still pretty nice to everyone. If that happened with the "He's a nice bunch of guys" Mick of today, he'd likely be pissed about it, especially if Brenda was present. But back then, I think he thought it was just funny that Brian got one over on him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-18 07:40 by bustedtrousers.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 18, 2010 14:20

to me this is one of the best posts ever! Unearthing something I haven't seen is brilliant

well done and thankyou

ER

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 18, 2010 19:07

bustedtrousers

I also thought it was interesting the way Brian immediately makes his way over to Mike Douglas and Mick when they start talking. Of course, the host always goes for the singer, so I'm not knocking Mick, and I'm not saying Brian was jealous or anything, it's just something that does stand out. I'm guessing Brian was still probably the closest thing to group leader they had at that point, and felt he should still speak for them.

what's the difference between one, being jealous, and two, feeling like you're the one who should speak and not the other guy?

not much evidence in this clip that brian is really "the leader," and his stage presence is not too diverting: the camera focuses more on bill than on him... is his leadership in the early days something we're now taking on faith?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 18, 2010 19:15

I think we all owe a special thank you to Lisa of 'Brian Jones: Censored From Our Minds'-forum for finding this gem. She and the other host, Chris, bring a lot of goodies considering Brian era Stones. And it's the best place to discuss Brian Jones in net!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-18 19:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: 69boogie ()
Date: June 18, 2010 22:07

cc
bustedtrousers

what's the difference between one, being jealous, and two, feeling like you're the one who should speak and not the other guy?

not much evidence in this clip that brian is really "the leader," and his stage presence is not too diverting: the camera focuses more on bill than on him... is his leadership in the early days something we're now taking on faith?

Ugh. Posting your thoughts on here is a waste of time. Too many idiots read too much into what you post, and put words in your mouth.

Busted didn't say or imply half of what you claim. He said he was guessing that Brian was still the closest thing to a leader because Brian, along with Stu, started the band, and at the time of this clip, Mick and Keith had yet to take over.

Date: June 18, 2010 22:52

69boogie

Ugh. Posting your thoughts on here is a waste of time. Too many idiots read too much into what you post, and put words in your mouth.

Busted didn't say or imply half of what you claim. He said he was guessing that Brian was still the closest thing to a leader because Brian, along with Stu, started the band, and at the time of this clip, Mick and Keith had yet to take over.

hey fellow idiot,

what exactly was I implying or claiming? I thought I was questioning claims, perhaps implied ones, rather than making them. What is it that you want to say? Don't worry, I won't bother reading into it.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: June 18, 2010 23:09

It's amusing now that he honestly had no idea what their names were. Charlie What?

A tad awkward when he carts the girls out, though.

Date: June 19, 2010 00:34

I would disagree here. Brian is clearly trying to take charge as being the true leader of the Rolling Stones. Not only during the interview, where Brian injects himself into a conversation between Mike Douglas and Mick Jagger (and succeeds in making Mick look foolish) but also during his performance of Not Fade Away, where Brian is playing the harmonica and pretending to be the most important player . . distracting from Mick's performance.

He is almost like a second lead vocalist in Not Fade Away with his antics and preening.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-19 00:36 by mitchflorida.

Date: June 19, 2010 02:22

That was pretty much the norm how Brian acted when they did this song though...

Posted by: 69boogie ()
Date: June 19, 2010 05:59

cc
69boogie

hey fellow idiot,

what exactly was I implying or claiming? I thought I was questioning claims, perhaps implied ones, rather than making them. What is it that you want to say? Don't worry, I won't bother reading into it.

Calm down Homer Simpson, no need to get your panties in such a twist. It's just the internet, relax, take a deep breath, everything will be ok.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: June 19, 2010 10:00

mitchflorida
I would disagree here. Brian is clearly trying to take charge as being the true leader of the Rolling Stones. Not only during the interview, where Brian injects himself into a conversation between Mike Douglas and Mick Jagger (and succeeds in making Mick look foolish) but also during his performance of Not Fade Away, where Brian is playing the harmonica and pretending to be the most important player . . distracting from Mick's performance.

He is almost like a second lead vocalist in Not Fade Away with his antics and preening.

Could it be that in 1964 the use of the harmonica (in popular music!) was relatively new? That could be the reason for Brian's position on stage. Same story when Paint it Black was released and they brought that sitar in. "Brian on guitar? Ok, three meters to the back boy!" So that's why Brian kept coming with all these crazy instruments ("Wooden Flute...you must be joking Brian?!")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-19 10:02 by Sacke.

Date: June 19, 2010 17:31

69boogie
cc
69boogie

hey fellow idiot,

Calm down Homer Simpson, no need to get your panties in such a twist. It's just the internet, relax, take a deep breath, everything will be ok.

what do these kiddie insults have to do with anything I wrote? Time to boogie off...

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: June 20, 2010 16:58

I notice Brian is playing that green Gretch Double Anniversary. Great looking guitar and great sound. Vintage Guitar mag has a cover story on the Gretch Double Anniversaries (guitar on cover is the same one used by Brian-light green color), but no mention about its use by the Stones.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 21, 2010 18:59

mitchflorida

I thought the fact that Mike D. only knew two names: Brian and Mick, and asks the others to introudce themselves, shows that Brian was clearly known as "leader" early on.

Also, i felt that Brian's, ultimately unsuccessful, attempts to get in the middle of the interview show that he may hae already felt control slipping away. I thought he may have made the dig at Mick becasue he was not being given his due as the leader of the band, and Mick was doing a good job of boxing him out of the lead spot, duing the interview.

Date: June 21, 2010 23:12

The lead singer will almost always be perceived as being the leader of the group. It comes with the territory, so Brian was fighting a losing battle. Brian tried to use his harmonica skills to try to upstage Mick and on the Mike Douglas performance it worked out to Brian's benefit.

The ONLY time the lead singer wasn't the star was in the Dave Clark 5. The lead singer was very , very good but rather anonymous compared to Dave Clark. I am a fan of the group but still don't remember the lead singer's name!!

Date: June 22, 2010 00:32

Mike Smith.....

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: June 29, 2010 13:16

This has now been taken down care of ABCKO and sadly it's also gone from the Brian Jones site where it originated.

Thought for the future but perhaps it might not be a good idea to copy and post this kind of stuff on YouTube as it makes it very high profile and the site is regularly policed. Leaving it be on lower profile dedicated fan sites would at least afford the possibility of a longer period of internet exposure.

WTF don't these people just either:

A). Release this stuff officially?

cool smiley. Allow fans to enjoy it?

Corporate Stasis/ Stupidity rules.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home