Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
If no Stones Tour - How about The X-Pensive Winos?
Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: January 5, 2010 06:42

How about seeing The X-pensive Winos in 2010?

Works for me!

Re: If no Stones Tour - How about The X-Pensive Winos?
Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: January 5, 2010 06:59

i'd be more interested in a Mick solo tour personally. Or the Winos could open up, and for encores Keith could join Mick.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 5, 2010 07:18

Keith would have just as much arthritis onstage with the Winos as he would with the Stones.

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: January 5, 2010 07:24

I'm there...Waddy @ Joe's Joint 1/18

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: January 5, 2010 07:36

No way. Keith can't even sing and play at the same time anymore.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2010 07:36

From4tilLate
Keith would have just as much arthritis onstage with the Winos as he would with the Stones.

yep - and i'll ask the question again - is there any evidence at all that keith has even picked up a guitar the past two years? i think the real reason the stones are toast is that the man can't do it no mo'...

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 5, 2010 07:39

StonesTod
From4tilLate

yep - and i'll ask the question again - is there any evidence at all that keith has even picked up a guitar the past two years? i think the real reason the stones are toast is that the man can't do it no mo'...

That's exactly the situation.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: January 5, 2010 07:44

From4tilLate
StonesTod
From4tilLate

That's exactly the situation.

My fear as well. Keith hasn't jumped on a stage to join in with some other performers in ages, unlike Mick, Ronnie and Charlie. The Wino's won't be happening.

I have possible great news
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:45

I had this inside info that I did not take seriously because of the rumors about a possible tour and a new record by the Rolling Stones.

I am not naming any sources, because it would not be fair. This might be just another rumour, however now that there is an official statement from the band that there is no tour in 2010 (sadly so) I have a tip that the X Pensive Winos might get back together soon. With the official statement from the band this rumour might be true. I think if so it might be the best news ever for us fans because this might be a turning point for the heart and soul of the Stones - Keith Richards. The Winos will kick him in the butt and finally wake him up and bring him back to earth. I for one will fly anywhere to see these cats play.

Lets just hope.

Regards

Luis

Re: I have possible great news
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 5, 2010 02:03

Well, no time to reflect this one yet... We live interesting times in Stonesworld...

- Doxa

Date: January 5, 2010 02:09

Amen...Just what the doctor needs!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 5, 2010 03:03

to be honest with you and with all due respect to the winos i would rather the stones get organized for this year and pull off a tour

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 5, 2010 03:05

Loudei
The Winos will kick him in the butt and finally wake him up and bring him back to earth. I for one will fly anywhere to see these cats play.

Lets just hope.

Regards

Luis
I'm afraid that no amount of but kickin' can cure the arthritis that has hampered Keith's playing of late...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 5, 2010 05:52

Given Keith's apparent uniterest in getting involved in recent Stones affairs. Can you really believe he wants to get on the road that bad he would do a Winos tour? It seems pretty clear Mick wants to tour. Charlie has been playing live gigs. Exactly what has Keith done. If he really wanted to play live,their would be a Stones tour.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 5, 2010 09:19

No.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 5, 2010 09:34

a jagger solo tour like the one done in australia years ago would be very nice.combine solo material and stones songs. oh yes.no winos tour please.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 5, 2010 09:49

The Winos tour would really please me a lot (just as much as the Stones' tour). I don't believe it much, but I would surely be there.

Someone posted here that Keith can not play and sing at once any more. Please notice, that he has pretty much never done that, he has usually always played licks in between his singing and ocassionally hit the strings while singing. Not much of a change there really.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 5, 2010 10:18

Happy24
Someone posted here that Keith can not play and sing at once any more. Please notice, that he has pretty much never done that, he has usually always played licks in between his singing and ocassionally hit the strings while singing. Not much of a change there really.

Oh, really? I refer you to Happy from 1972 and 1973.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 5, 2010 11:02

What has Keith done in between the last O2 show and now anyway?
I think his motivation to be creative and to tour is long gone.
Apart from holding speeches or making some jams he hasn´t done
anything in the past 2,5 years.

The last Whinos tour was 16 years ago! That project is dead ever since.

And therefore I strongly believe it will never happen again.

Date: January 5, 2010 11:25

The X-Pensive Winos project back in 1988 was the one that made Keith a frontman - more a singer than a guitar player. In fact, it looks like that there he adopted his 'lazy' way of playing - not anymore taking care of basics or the dirty work but more like icing the cake - he would later also apply within the Stones. I can easily see Keith continuing his frontman singer-career within the context of the Winos. There he has a better guitar player covering his back (or to lead the band) and he would not need to touch the guitar nearly at all. Due to his fingers or not, he seemed to put more heart and energy into his vocal deliveries and showmanship routines than to guitar-playing in A BIGGER BANG tour. Perhaps that's the only route Keith Richards is able to take if he wants to make it live. I cannot see him recovering as a guitarist.

- Doxa

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: January 5, 2010 11:29

No way, Keith can´t play and sing that well anymore.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 5, 2010 11:30

Doxa
I can easily see Keith continuing his frontman singer-career within the context of the Winos. There he has a better guitar player covering his back (or to lead the band) and he would not need to touch the guitar nearly at all. Due to his fingers or not, he seemed to put more heart and energy into his vocal deliveries and showmanship routines than to guitar-playing in A BIGGER BANG tour. Perhaps that's the only route Keith Richards is able to take if he wants to make it live.

The riffmeister doing a crooner type of show? Maybe with Rod Stewart doing
the "Amercan Songbook of Soul and Blues-Tour".

Date: January 5, 2010 11:44

TooTough
Doxa
I can easily see Keith continuing his frontman singer-career within the context of the Winos. There he has a better guitar player covering his back (or to lead the band) and he would not need to touch the guitar nearly at all. Due to his fingers or not, he seemed to put more heart and energy into his vocal deliveries and showmanship routines than to guitar-playing in A BIGGER BANG tour. Perhaps that's the only route Keith Richards is able to take if he wants to make it live.

The riffmeister doing a crooner type of show? Maybe with Rod Stewart doing
the "Amercan Songbook of Soul and Blues-Tour".

well, maybe that direction... but without Rod Stewart. If we look Keith's doings in the last decade, almost all he has done - without his Stones duties - is to sing as guest star in different galas and parties... and in fact he usually sings with a lot of passion - listen his of 'recent' deliveries of "Love Hurts" and "Wild Horses" from youtube etc. Plus the version of "You Got The Silver" was the most impressive vocal delivery in the whole A BIGGER BANG tour - Keith really has still soeme kind of artistic urge to express some real emotions, and he has adopted a kind of way of his own to sing and interpret songs. Maybe he can't 'rock' hard anymore - nor can Mick either really - but he could take that ballad/blues/country -section seriously and push further from there. I can even think he could make an album of that kind of stuff if he wants and that might even sell few copies (perhaps better than Mick's possible dance records). I think Keith has the option to grow up gracefully more than Mick as far as music goes.

Keith is also kind of guy who could put a suit on and sing in the front of real Las Vegas orchestra and remain cool...

Anyway, here are the ones I referred:

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-05 12:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 5, 2010 11:58

"a jagger solo tour like the one done in australia years ago would be very nice"

imho it was the nadir of MJ's entire career...

Date: January 5, 2010 13:00

Thanks for those wonderful Keith clips. I don't know if Keith could sustain a whole show with this type of material; it is a different kind of pacing - would be interesting to see. It is definetaly where Keith's heart is at. he looks GREAT in the YGTSilver clip.
Who all is on stage in the "Wild Horses" clip? That looks awesome. I see Jim James from Morning Jacket, Lucinda Williams, Norah Jones, Steve Earle, James Burton.
But who was the first guy singing after Keith? Sounded like Leon Russell?

Date: January 5, 2010 13:01

sweetcharmedlife
Given Keith's apparent uniterest in getting involved in recent Stones affairs. Can you really believe he wants to get on the road that bad he would do a Winos tour? It seems pretty clear Mick wants to tour. Charlie has been playing live gigs. Exactly what has Keith done. If he really wanted to play live,their would be a Stones tour.

Why does it seem clear that Mick wants to tour?
A Winos tour IMO would be the best; I'd take that over a Stonestour.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 5, 2010 13:25

DeliveranceStraightwayHoliness
Who all is on stage in the "Wild Horses" clip? That looks awesome. I see Jim James from Morning Jacket, Lucinda Williams, Norah Jones, Steve Earle, James Burton.
But who was the first guy singing after Keith? Sounded like Leon Russell?

From www.nzentgraf.de:

2004 9th July: ALL STAR BAND. Santa Barbara, California, Santa Barbara Bowl,
'A Tribute To Gram Parsons'-concert.
- Love Hurts (Boudleaux Bryant) -duet with Norah Jones
- Hickory Wind (Bob Buchanan/Gram Parsons) -Jim Lauderdale on guitar and some vocals
- Wild Horses (MJ/KR) -Steve Earle and Jim Lauderdale on some vocals
Musicians: KR (gtr, voc)/James Burton (gtr)/Al Perkins (steel gtr)/Colin Cripps (gtr)/Skip Edwards (keyb)/
Tony Furtado (gtr)/Doug Pettibone (gtr)/Easy Pickens (gtr)/Dusty Wakeman (bass)/Dave Raven (dr)/& others

2004 10th July: ALL STAR BAND. Los Angeles, California, Universal Amphitheater,
'A Tribute To Gram Parsons'-concert. With KR on guitar and vocals on:
- Love Hurts (Boudleaux Bryant) -duet with Norah Jones
- Hickory Wind (Bob Buchanan/Gram Parsons) -Jim Lauderdale on guitar and some vocals
- In My Hour Of Darkness (Gram Parsons) -KR on guitar only
- Wild Horses (MJ/KR) -Steve Earle and Jim Lauderdale on some vocals
Line-up: see 040709A.
Note: The complete show was filmed and telecast on US TV (IDemand) on the
15th November as a pay-per-view-special.

Date: January 5, 2010 14:22

Happy24
The Winos tour would really please me a lot (just as much as the Stones' tour). I don't believe it much, but I would surely be there.

That is nonsense. Watch the (difficult-to-play-while-singing) Little T+A-clips from the 1981/82-tours, where he was right on top of his game. Same with BTMMR and Can't Be Seen on the 89/90 tours + Happy as stated above.

Date: January 5, 2010 14:24

Doxa
The X-Pensive Winos project back in 1988 was the one that made Keith a frontman - more a singer than a guitar player. In fact, it looks like that there he adopted his 'lazy' way of playing - not anymore taking care of basics or the dirty work but more like icing the cake - he would later also apply within the Stones. I can easily see Keith continuing his frontman singer-career within the context of the Winos. There he has a better guitar player covering his back (or to lead the band) and he would not need to touch the guitar nearly at all. Due to his fingers or not, he seemed to put more heart and energy into his vocal deliveries and showmanship routines than to guitar-playing in A BIGGER BANG tour. Perhaps that's the only route Keith Richards is able to take if he wants to make it live. I cannot see him recovering as a guitarist.

- Doxa

The difference back then was that Keith still carried the band with the winos, while being the frontman. He developed both as a player and a frontman in this period. That made the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tours a lot more interesting, imo. Imagine a going-thru-the-motions-Keith on those tours...

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 5, 2010 15:04

Well my revelations come after chatting online with one of the members of the band, whom I am not saying who it is. The musician has revealed something brewing with the Winos. I ma not trying to stir shit up, repeat, I am not trying to stir shit. Maybe keith needs to play the things he wants to play regardless how bad his fingers are or whatever instead of the freakin Warhorses.

KEITH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1233
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home