Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
If only they could come up with another single like Love Is Strong
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 11, 2010 00:41

and the last great single, IMHO, was Saint of Me. (not including reissues)

All I'm saying is that I hope they do some new stuff soon and I hope that they can get a really good single out there too.

I wasn't too keen on ABB or Licks singles and the Exile stuff doesn't count because it isn't really new, albeit that I like it...

Re: If only they could come up with another single like Love Is Strong
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 11, 2010 00:47

That song was so lame even the band got sick of playing it halfway thru the tour.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2010 00:48

I'm not a huge fan of Bridges to Babylon, but Saint of Me is a true standout (and Thief...)

As the lead single normally gets the most 'buzz', it was too bad Saint of Me wasn't the one they went with.

I don't think ASMB even charted.

Date: June 11, 2010 00:49

Sorry, I disagree. The live version wasn't great but the album version was brilliant. Great distorted harp and brilliant keef riff. Almost reminiscent of midnight rambler.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 11, 2010 00:50

They should have released it as an instrumental, it's the awful lyrics that sink the song. It might sound better if English isn't your language.

Date: June 11, 2010 00:51

treaclefingers
I'm not a huge fan of Bridges to Babylon, but Saint of Me is a true standout (and Thief...)

As the lead single normally gets the most 'buzz', it was too bad Saint of Me wasn't the one they went with.

I don't think ASMB even charted.

Saint of Me, Thief and How Can I stop are the stand-outs for me too. I quite like B2B - more than VL now, although VL was more exciting at the time and had a bigger buzz.

Date: June 11, 2010 00:52

Dan
They should have released it as an instrumental, it's the awful lyrics that sink the song. It might sound better if English isn't your language.
Fair enough, I suppose.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 11, 2010 01:05

"love is strong' was a weak single. "saint of me", IMO, had it all. clever lyrics, great beat and some cool guitar work.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: June 11, 2010 02:35

Voodoo Lounge was a very productive period.

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: June 11, 2010 02:42

The versions of it on the bootlegs of the Voodoo Lounge sessions I think sound better then the released version.

Date: June 11, 2010 02:47

Interesting - I didn't realise that LIS was so disliked!

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 11, 2010 04:49

I liked LIS a lot. Album version was better than live, though.

I think the Stones made a mistake in not playing LIS, Mixed Emotions, and other songs from the reunion years more on the last few tours -- not just because I got tired of many of the warhorses, but because they were good songs that deserve attention and would help showcase that they weren't just the nostalgia act they became in the 'oughts.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 11, 2010 21:21

Great riff. It plods along like a lumbering giant. Great in a car cranked up. The whoo whoos are good too. Nice guitar work throughout the entire tune. The lyrics are very goofy but whatever, not every song can be Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man or Tumbling Dice.

The Clearmountain remix is excellent. The rest of the 'remixes' are horrendous.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 11, 2010 21:58

Love is Strong isn't that bad, I don't mind it.
I completely agree that Saint of Me should have led BTB.
Anybody Seen My Baby - I was embarassed as a fan when that came out!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 11, 2010 22:13

never liked the bridge - a bridge to nowhere, sorta.....

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: June 11, 2010 23:28

Love Is Strong is an excellent Stones single. Great video too. Just a shame Jagger's voice couldn't do it justice live on the road.

I think we all agree Saint of Me is awesome.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: June 11, 2010 23:47

Its always eye-opening to me to see that my opinions aren't necessarily widely sharedspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I like LIS very much. I would go so far as to claim that it is their best new song from the 1990's.

I have never had any use for Saint of Me. I just don't get it. Doesn't really rock, not really a ballad. Just middle of the road boring. However, based on the high praise here, I will give it another chance for the fist time in years.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 11, 2010 23:50

LIS is a great song as is SOM, but I doubt that there will be a new album if Keith Richards says that he did not play for years.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 11, 2010 23:51

great guitar work on "love is strong"? ya gotta be kidding me. i could teach a one armed blackjack dealer that song in 5 minutes. seriously.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 11, 2010 23:54

Midnight Toker
great guitar work on "love is strong"?

it's just as wicked it seems...

Date: June 12, 2010 00:39

The first song off of any stones album gets the main hype. In the case of VL, LIS definitely deserved the hype. Let's put it in context - second album back after the bust up and they lead off with a raunchy blues number with a killer harp riff (the harp makes it).

Regarding B2B, SOM was definitely a better song than ABSMB and should have led the album singles. The hype would have been even bigger if that was the case and who knows where it could have got to? That said, maybe it is a fan's song - i.e. it might not appeal so well to the masses?

I would place SOM as the best stones single in the period from Steel Wheels onwards (and, in fact, since Tattoo You / Undercover). I also liked many others but I've been largely disappointed in particular since Licks.

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: June 12, 2010 00:51

Love is strong is just terrible

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 12, 2010 01:04

Midnight Toker
great guitar work on "love is strong"? ya gotta be kidding me. i could teach a one armed blackjack dealer that song in 5 minutes. seriously.

Well you nor the one armed blackjack dealer recorded it. Have you ever actually listened to what's going on in the song? It's no Jumpin' Jack Flash or Brown Sugar but it is a cool tune with a nice groove and, yes, some nice guitar work. The 'bridge', which is actually just a break, is hilarious I think, a nice little pause...and they even edited it since it's actually twice that length.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 12, 2010 12:46

LIS is the last worth single IMO. Great and simple riff, hard harp playing. The videoclip was nice too.
The problem is that in live situations this song did't work, as well as mixed emotions......
ABSMB is a nice song in the sense that MJ makes a wonderful work; but it is not in my favourites (like streets of love). SOM is not of my taste, it souns to me like a Simply Red song. Thief is terrible for me, but how can i stop i one of the finest songs KR has ever made (IMVHO).

The next RSrelated big single: A thing about you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 12, 2010 13:03

Please - someone - explain why Thief in the night is such a great song! Just 2 chords and a mumble for five minutes...Just because it´s Keith?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 12, 2010 17:04

StonesTod
Midnight Toker
great guitar work on "love is strong"?

it's just as wicked it seems...

yup...on the next one maybe they should try doing the same thing with Evening Gown.

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: June 12, 2010 17:59

Love is Strong is actually a reworking of Keith's "Wicked as it seems", lifted by Jagger's great harp playing. In my opinion, it is the best "stalker" song ever.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 12, 2010 18:09

Give me Saint Of Me any time of day.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 12, 2010 23:11

Love Is Strong was excellent but I agree that Saint o Me was a standout after VL

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 13, 2010 00:43

yeh if only.....

if only they could come up with another single like satisfaction. all the players are alive except brian. if they hung and worked and wrote together who knows what kinda simple solid treasure they could yet still indelibly stamp upon the culture.

they their own worst enemies in a way.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1077
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home