Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Thank God Stones seem to be about the only act...
Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: December 13, 2009 23:29

not to perform on the XFactor (tacky UK reality show). Just seen Sir Paul McCartney croaking his way through a medley, along with George Michael - who was at least in tune and performing well - selling their souls for some prime time tv. Whatever Mick's inclinations for the main chance, he has never descended to this level. Sorry to rant. I can't believe what old legends will do.

Re: Thank God Stones seem to be about the only act...
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 13, 2009 23:52

never heard of XFactor, but I'm proud to say this: I very rarely watch TV and I think 99% of reality shows are made by idiots for idiots. And I have friends smiling smiley

About reality shows - Woody Allen parodied it in his movie "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask"... "What's your perversion" has to be the perfect reality show x)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 13, 2009 23:58

Got nothin' to do with god, it's all to do with Mick Jagger. Thank Jagger.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 14, 2009 01:41

Lady Jayne
not to perform on the XFactor (tacky UK reality show). Just seen Sir Paul McCartney croaking his way through a medley, along with George Michael - who was at least in tune and performing well - selling their souls for some prime time tv. Whatever Mick's inclinations for the main chance, he has never descended to this level. Sorry to rant. I can't believe what old legends will do.

Give it time.

The X-Factor is unfortunately bigger than the Stones are and if it (or something similar) is on when they need to publicize something such as a tour or a record, they'll have no qualms about getting into bed with Cowell the musical anti-Christ.

As for selling their souls - they did that long ago. It seems everything has a price.

For anyone who thinks the Stones are incapable of descending to such ridiculous depths to promote something, I have 4 words - "Days of Our Lives".

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: December 14, 2009 01:59

I was shocked to see Paul McCartney on the X factor but at the same time pleased. He looked really cool in his Beatle Jacket and haircut and i thought sounded great. He is a legend and done it all so what harm was there, good luck to him that's what i say, any publicity is good publicity.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: December 14, 2009 02:05

For anyone who thinks the Stones are incapable of descending to such ridiculous depths to promote something, I have 4 words - "Days of Our Lives".

I have 3 more - "Beverly Hills 90210".

The Stones are not all about the act, they are all about money.

Date: December 14, 2009 02:08

pgarof
I was shocked to see Paul McCartney on the X factor but at the same time pleased. He looked really cool in his Beatle Jacket and haircut and i thought sounded great. He is a legend and done it all so what harm was there, good luck to him that's what i say, any publicity is good publicity.

He's on a sell out tour. Why does he need the publicity.

Dont agree that 'any publicity is good publicity'. I doubt Ronnie Wood or Tiger Woods would subscribe to that maxim at the minute.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 14, 2009 02:12

I don't know X Factor -- and what it is or why it is bad/stupid/lame -- but I just pulled down this youtube video of Paul singing Drive My Car on that show -- and the show looks tacky but Paul himself is in great voice, having fun, looking good! (at least he can sing, competently play his instrument, is clear-eyed, and not having drunken violent public rows in the middle of the street with 19-year-olds)

I say GO Paul!

And if Mick felt like going on some show and shaking his stuff I'd say go for it to!

(that said, I've never heard of XFactor, so have no context for its being egregious to appear on it)

- swiss

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 14, 2009 02:27

Lady Jayne

Like playing private corporate gigs to bankers...come on Lady Jayne! But as you say; what old legends will do.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 14, 2009 06:33

boogie1969

I have 3 more - "Beverly Hills 90210".

The Stones are not all about the act, they are all about money.

...if they do Dancing with the Stars....then I give up.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: December 14, 2009 08:20

The Stones did not appear on Beverly Hills or days of our Lives they just let them use video of them performing.

Date: December 14, 2009 12:09

Gazza
pgarof

He's on a sell out tour. Why does he need the publicity.
e stones have always had bad publicity, drugs busts
Dont agree that 'any publicity is good publicity'. I doubt Ronnie Wood or Tiger, drug busts, afairs Woods wontuld subscribe to that maxim at the minute.
don't agrea, the stones have always had bad publicity, th a 13 year old, drug busts, afairs, bills afairs with a 13 yea old, the peeing incidents etc ect. I can't see Ronnies arrest won't stop the stones selling tickets and I just can't see how Tiger Woods afaif will effect his golf, it wont.

Paul McCartney wa advertizing his new album during the ad breaks, all his appearance has done is good.

I

Date: December 14, 2009 14:38

Tiger Woods has already lost millions of dollars in sponsorship deals as Accenture have already dropped him and Gillette have announced they wont be using him in their TV ads for the forseeable future. His golf will also be affected as he's announced that he won't be playing for the forseeable future, so its pretty evident to anyone who's been following the news that the bad publicity will affect his reputation, his income and his ability to focus on playing competitive golf.

If you think that Wyman shagging an underage child was anything but bad publicity, then I give up. Ronnie's arrest by itself wont necessarily affect ticket sales (like thats all that matters), but if he cant clean his act up, it will almost certainly affect sponsorship and may end up seeing him unable to get medical clearance or insurance to tour. The knock-on effect of that on the Stones' future plans could well be quite significant.

Date: December 14, 2009 15:02

Gazza
Tiger Woods has already lost millions of dollars in sponsorship deals as Accenture have already dropped him and Gillette have announced they wont be using him in their TV ads for the forseeable future. His golf will also be affected as he's announced that he won't be playing for the forseeable future, so its pretty evident to anyone who's been following the news that the bad publicity will affect his reputation, his income and his ability to focus on playing competitive golf.

If you think that Wyman shagging an underage child was anything but bad publicity, then I give up. Ronnie's arrest by itself wont necessarily affect ticket sales (like thats all that matters), but if he cant clean his act up, it will almost certainly affect sponsorship and may end up seeing him unable to get medical clearance or insurance to tour. The knock-on effect of that on the Stones' future plans could well be quite significant.

I suppose sponcorship may be a problem BUT I still maintain that The Stones have always said any publicity is good publicity, i can remember Andrew LO setting incidents up just to get in the paper and as for Paul , well how can you say this was anything but Bad, sorry can't agree.

Date: December 14, 2009 15:16

We'll agree to differ on Paul. Good publicity in terms of sales - sure (I wasnt aware he had a new record out so that being the case, you make a fair point) - credibility-wise, not so much. The X-Factor is the ultimate cheesefest in processed, manufactured music for teenage girls and any act with any pretence of credibility pandering to that sort of lowest common denominator is pretty cringeworthy. Then again, having his credibility hammered has never stopped Paul before.

The Andrew Oldham thing was certainly relevant in 1964, but the music world has changed a lot since then as have the Stones. Back then, publicity meant a big deal. Nowadays, generating money means far more. And being accused of battering a woman is NEVER going to be good publicity.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: December 14, 2009 15:39

i think it is ok to play on the x-factor show. to let the candidates sing along is strange though.

Date: December 14, 2009 16:40

If these old and getting old guys don't stop soon then Depends will start promoting their tours - without being a sponsor even.

Date: December 14, 2009 17:52

Gazza
We'll agree to differ on Paul. Good publicity in terms of sales - sure (I wasnt aware he had a new record out so that being the case, you make a fair point) - credibility-wise, not so much. The X-Factor is the ultimate cheesefest in processed, manufactured music for teenage girls and any act with any pretence of credibility pandering to that sort of lowest common denominator is pretty cringeworthy. Then again, having his credibility hammered has never stopped Paul before.

The Andrew Oldham thing was certainly relevant in 1964, but the music world has changed a lot since then as have the Stones. Back then, publicity meant a big deal. Nowadays, generating money means far more. And being accused of battering a woman is NEVER going to be good publicity.

I quite agree, the X facror is VERY CHEESY, not my thing at all but it was still great to see Paul performing and he hasn't gone down in my estimation, not sure how I'd feel tho' if Jagger went on there to sing.

Date: December 14, 2009 18:01

Wow is that horrible. And who are all those kids? That was just LAME.

Date: December 14, 2009 18:04

skipstone
Wow is that horrible. And who are all those kids?

They are tomorrow's big pop stars.

And also next Christmas' new temporary staff at Burger King.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 14, 2009 18:15

Gazza
Lady Jayne

Give it time.

The X-Factor is unfortunately bigger than the Stones are and if it (or something similar) is on when they need to publicize something such as a tour or a record, they'll have no qualms about getting into bed with Cowell the musical anti-Christ.

As for selling their souls - they did that long ago. It seems everything has a price.

yes , but it was for the video premier of streets of love .its not like they went on the set or talked to a simon cowell type person

Date: December 14, 2009 18:23

Guilt by association is just that. There's a reason Days Of Our Lives and Beverly Hills 90210 come to mind so easily.

Date: December 14, 2009 19:32

The Greek
Gazza
Lady Jayne

Give it time.

yes , but it was for the video premier of streets of love .its not like they went on the set or talked to a simon cowell type person

I guess thats ok, then. I suppose the producers of 'The Sopranos' or shows with some credibility wouldnt return their calls?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 14, 2009 22:37

What was that prime-time lame sitcom where they try to rob Mick Jagger? Yeah, Mick was in it. Weak.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: December 14, 2009 22:44

I dunno. Never saw it. Is that a regular show or was it just some one-off kind of thing?

Date: December 14, 2009 23:33

'The Knights of Prosperity'.

It was a series, but the 'Robbing Mick Jagger' episode was a one-off (I may be wrong, but I think it was the pilot)

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: December 15, 2009 00:34

......simpsons Rock Camp??????????????

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home