Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ladies And Gentlemen .........the best live film document of the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 28, 2009 10:32

The Gimmie Shelter movie may perhaps portray the Stones as much darker, and in a sense by 72 the Stones were predominantly performing more as a group who were purely playing to entertain, casting aside much of the social and political ties that linked them, like many other artists of the time to the counterculture. Yet Ladies And Gentlemen..... really is in my eyes, certainly in terms of filmed evidence, the very best document of the Stones performing live. There's a much looser good time feel to many of the songs than certainly in 69, where the emphasis is pretty much on a more sleazy,sexy rock 'n' roll feel, although of course the events at Altamont will always result in Gimmie Shelter appearing the more important historical document. Maybe it's unfair not to include the the odd movie soundtrack and official DVDs from more recent times as a comparison, but i really don't believe there is one. I think Ladies And Gentlemen .... stands head and shoulders above everything.

Re: Ladies And Gentlemen .........the best live film document of the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 28, 2009 11:37

i have always had a problem with the movie L&G. While the band is smoking with some great performances, the atmosphere and crowd interaction is simply not evident at all...it just lacks energy that the GS movie portrays so well.

even C**ksucker Blues has some better footage than the L&G movie...

as Keith said in the C**ksucker Blues movie - there was alot more atmosphere on the '69 Tour than '72 Tour...

Re: Ladies And Gentlemen .........the best live film document of the Rolling Stones
Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: November 28, 2009 14:51

Generally speaking, I think the cinematography in L&G is boring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-28 14:52 by 3DTeafoe.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 28, 2009 16:55

3DTeafoe
Generally speaking, I think the cinematography in L&G is boring.

In what way?

Date: November 28, 2009 17:34

as Keith said in the C**ksucker Blues movie - there was alot more atmosphere on the '69 Tour than '72 Tour...

They had nothing to prove in 1972. It was the template for the corporate-style tours that began in 1981-2. There was also alot more heroin in 1972.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: November 28, 2009 18:47

Where do you get a copy of Ladies and gentlemen??? I have seen clips but never the whole film.

drummer_dude

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 28, 2009 18:48

Boring in the sense that it seems like during much of the film it is the Mick Jagger show. That frustrates a lot. But all in all a fantastic film! WHew, smoking versions and you see the legend of 72!

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: November 28, 2009 19:23

I kind of agree with what Whitm8 said in the sense it turned out to be the Mick Jagger show. But then again so was gimme shelter and every other thing you see on film about the Stones. While I grant you to watch this guy perform is mezmorizing to me he isn't the WHOLE band. But other then that the music in the film is just really good. Even with the overdubs

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: November 28, 2009 19:58

X

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-11 22:24 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 29, 2009 11:18

I pretty much agree that visually things could be better, but for me that's more to do with the less than perfect bootleg quality DVDs, than anything specifically wrong with the camera angles etc. The highlight musically was of course the group as a whole, but visually it has to be Jagger, so if there is a case for the cameras pandering to Jagger (which i dispute generally) then there is good reason. I think there is none of the forced spectacle of today's performance, which is a welcome relief. I pretty much have every version available on DVD and in my opinion the best is the genuine masters version with its widescreen vision and much improved sound, although there is still plenty of room for improvement. Played on a hi fi quality tv though, the sound is considerably better.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 29, 2009 11:28

Mmm, adore the movie BUT it can be a very frustrating experience; I like the long shots but the camera is too focused on Mick's face. A wider view would benefit the film greatly. It's almost as if they used one camera for close-ups and... the other camera for wider or band shots simply failed so they just had to use that.

Would love to see a new digital DVD transfer for a more accurate appraisal : )

What could be done now w/that original Quad mix?

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: November 29, 2009 12:09

Here's my favourite of The Stones filmed, Happy from L&G:

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 2, 2009 01:47

The worst camera work is when Keith starts singing Happy but the camera is on Mick, who is pointing to Keith.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 2, 2009 03:09

Too much Jagger. Not enough of the band working. And the cameraman actually put the camera on Mick Taylor during Bye Bye Johnnie!! Gimme a break... We don't see Bill at all until the final segment.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 2, 2009 04:15

It's either the director or the film's editor that decides what is seen on the screen, not the cameraman.

Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: December 2, 2009 04:31

Yes for sure a not well filmed concert, but then again beacuse of that Stones will officialy release this piece of crap. More for Knebworth, Mocambo and the unreleased Ya Ya stuff

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 2, 2009 05:17

<< It's either the director or the film's editor that decides what is seen on the screen, not the cameraman. >>

Very true. I should have said bad editing choices rather than bad camera work. At least GS they had an excuse - only one or two cameras.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: December 2, 2009 07:52

Edward, the only thing your post proves is this you're a Stones conservative and, in your opinion, nothing after the 69-72 era means anything to you. So be it.

By contrast, my FAVORITE footage is that recorded within the last ten years. We tend to have the same arguments repeated ad nauseaum.

All this "best of" nonsense is subjective and immaterial. This amateurish rock critic stuff gets boring in the extreme. It is what it is -- you either buy it, or you don't.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 2, 2009 20:06

bassplayer617

All this "best of" nonsense is subjective and immaterial. This amateurish rock critic stuff gets boring in the extreme. It is what it is -- you either buy it, or you don't.

I advice you to take your money and leave this DISCUSSION board, because here is nobody buying or selling anything - we are just sharing opinions and thoughts, and we do it for free and for fun. Not your cup of tea, so I advice, once again, you to go somewhere else where money talks and "subjective" and "immaterial" things and all the rest that kind things does not bother you and your world-view.

- Doxa

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: December 2, 2009 21:14

It's been said that the Philly show from 1972 was filmed... that's the show I would LOVE to "SEE"!!!!!!

that version of Gimme Shelter & Midnight Rambler,etc.

Hope the Glimmers dig that out of the vaults!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MLC

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 3, 2009 01:49

Carnaby
Too much Jagger. Not enough of the band working. And the cameraman actually put the camera on Mick Taylor during Bye Bye Johnnie!! Gimme a break... We don't see Bill at all until the final segment.
many of us who were around back then remember that in the general publics eye it was" mick jagger and the rolling stones" unlike today,it was very much mick and the four others.thats where the "keith is the heart of the stones" and "its really keiths band"nonsense came from.if you said that it made you sound like a hardcore fan and set you aside from the casual listener.some people still try that here in 2009, which i find pretty funny. you would sound more in the know if you said "its really chuck leavells band" .

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 3, 2009 04:40

71Tele, great point! It isn't the camera guy, but the editor. Surely, back in 72 the thinking was showing more of Mick would make it more comercially successful. Ashame,as we miss out on a lot of great band shots showing the churning out some of their best live stuff!

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: December 3, 2009 05:29

Hope there's a 120 minute DVD of L&G and CS Blues performance footage included in the Deluxe Exile set.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home