Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Abba (sorry!)
Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:13

As there was talk on the who could sell O2 for 50 nights thread of a reformed Abba being one of the few who might sell a long engagement, I thought some might be interested to know Benny actually appeared on the One Show (BBC light entertainment prog) this evening and denied rumours Abba ahd been asked to fill some of the Jackson O2 dates. He and Bjorn, however, are playing in Central London tomorrow night.
And sorry for mentioning pop on IORR. I am ashamed of myself.

Re: OT: Abba (sorry!)
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:39

No need to apologize. I really likes ome of ABBA's tunes...

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 4, 2009 02:09

you must not be ashamed for this post. I liked Abba also when I was a teenager. It was always a dream to see Abba live in Concert. Unfortunatly, it never happened to me.

Date: July 4, 2009 02:12

I saw a documentray on ABBA, and I understood that it is the blond girl who really is the one opposed to any kind of reunion.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2009 03:15

it is the blond girl who really is the one opposed to any kind of reunion.

Yep!!! ..... saw some Abba doco once telling how at the time she
lived a hermit type of life and would not allow any music to be played in her home ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: July 4, 2009 03:29

Well, ABBA would be one of the few bands through the last 40 or so years of pop / rock history who would actually pull off a stunt like that. One other great 70's act to do it would maybe be Led Zep. Sorry for posting this, not an ABBA fan even though I have all their vinyls...But Zep and Abba can do a stunt like that, no one else will even come close. Stones may do seven nights...

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 4, 2009 04:21

They are a very palindromic group.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 4, 2009 04:28

I love ABBA.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: July 4, 2009 13:24

Rockman
it is the blond girl who really is the one opposed to any kind of reunion.

Yep!!! ..... saw some Abba doco once telling how at the time she
lived a hermit type of life and would not allow any music to be played in her home ...

She likes music still, Rockman. Actually I met her at the Stones club show in Stockholm in July 2003. At Cirkus. A brilliant show, BTW. She's an old fan and smiled happily to the press - before and particularly AFTER the show.

Date: July 4, 2009 13:34

Blond girl was hot. (Agneta?) They might have been the worst dancers to ever hit a major stage; Frida kind of exemplified the white man's dance, LOL, but...hot.

Posted by: Happy2 ()
Date: July 4, 2009 16:11

I always thought the dark haired one was hotter, though I wouldn't run either out of my house!

They probably look scary today.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 4, 2009 20:23

A couple of great songs here:

WTF is up with that guitar and outfit?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 4, 2009 20:24

I thought one of them died a couple years ago.

Date: July 4, 2009 20:27

The cape, LOL. I guess it was the thing to do. I saw a clip of Sweet, and Stevie Priest also in a cape like the evil queen from Snow White.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 4, 2009 20:29

skipstone

Of embarassment at those costumes. skip, you got a cape like that?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 4, 2009 20:37

'Abba concert' set for September
Abba's songwriting team Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus are to take part in a concert featuring some of their biggest hits in London later this year.

Thank You For The Music... A Celebration Of The Music Of Abba will be held in Hyde Park on 13 September.

Hosted by Radio 2, the show will see guest vocalists performing songs from the Swedish band's back catalogue.

"This must be the greatest honour that can be bestowed on any songwriter," said the duo in a statement.

"We are absolutely delighted and we hope thousands of Radio 2 listeners will join us there."

The line-up for the show is yet to be announced.

'No reunion'

The news comes amid reports that the Eurovision-winning quartet are to reform for some of the dates Michael Jackson would have played at London's O2 arena.

But Andersson, who is recording and touring Swedish traditional music with his 16-piece Benny Andersson band, has denied the rumours.

"No-one's asked us, and if they did we wouldn't say yes," he said on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross.

Abba, who scored nine UK number ones in the 1970s and 80s, have never officially split up.

They stopped recording in 1982, two years after their last tour, in Japan, and each member has pursued a solo career.

The quartet were last seen together in public last year at the Swedish premiere of Mamma Mia! - the movie based on their back catalogue.

At the time, Ulvaeus told reporters: "There is simply no motivation to re-group.

"Money is not a factor and we would like people to remember us as we were. Young, exuberant, full of energy and ambition."
[news.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 4, 2009 23:06

the simple fact remains, Abba and Led Zep
(the only 2 acts on the planet capable of filling the O2 x 50), are not millions in debt, and so, do not need to do these concerts.
Jacko needed to do them - they were a necessity.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 4, 2009 23:47

'Abba concert' set for September

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Abba have not played a concert in the UK since 1979
Abba's songwriting team Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus are to take part in a concert featuring some of their biggest hits in London later this year.

Thank You For The Music... A Celebration Of The Music Of Abba will be held in Hyde Park on 13 September.

Hosted by Radio 2, the show will see guest vocalists performing songs from the Swedish band's back catalogue.

"This must be the greatest honour that can be bestowed on any songwriter," said the duo in a statement.

"We are absolutely delighted and we hope thousands of Radio 2 listeners will join us there."

The line-up for the show is yet to be announced.

'No reunion'

The news comes amid reports that the Eurovision-winning quartet are to reform for some of the dates Michael Jackson would have played at London's O2 arena.

We would like people to remember us as we were. Young, exuberant, full of energy and ambition

Bjorn Ulvaeus (top left)
But Andersson, who is recording and touring Swedish traditional music with his 16-piece Benny Andersson band, has denied the rumours.

"No-one's asked us, and if they did we wouldn't say yes," he said on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross.

Abba, who scored nine UK number ones in the 1970s and 80s, have never officially split up.

They stopped recording in 1982, two years after their last tour, in Japan, and each member has pursued a solo career.

The quartet were last seen together in public last year at the Swedish premiere of Mamma Mia! - the movie based on their back catalogue.

At the time, Ulvaeus told reporters: "There is simply no motivation to re-group.

"Money is not a factor and we would like people to remember us as we were. Young, exuberant, full of energy and ambition."

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: July 5, 2009 00:18

Abba still rule. I have a great love for their music, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 5, 2009 01:56

<<I thought one of them died a couple years ago.>>

Not quite, skipstone

Their former drummer died in an accident where he bled to death last year

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 01:57 by Sohoe.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 5, 2009 03:48

Compared to the Stones, for me Abba were painful to hear. Sorry guys I never liked their sound. Had to suffer it on jukeboxes back in those days sitting with friends in the local Gasthaus or disco hangouts. Please pardon this old rock and roller and blues fan for never going over to the dark side of the disco/pop of that era. I just didn't like the sound. For those that dig it, more power to ya.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 5, 2009 10:55

skipstone

No, that was The Rolling Stones. All ABBA members are still alive and well.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 5, 2009 10:59

OhNoNotMeAgain
Abba still rule. I have a great love for their music, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

+1

One of the greatest pop bands ever. Their music still sounds fresh and relevant, even after 30+ years. Speaks for their songwriting. And their producer and engineer (as far as I know they had only one during their whole career) did a hell of a job to let it sound so timeless.

Great band!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 23, 2009 08:52

Yeah ABBA had that problem with two married couple in the same band you figure...(what happened with Brian when Keith started goin out with Anita?)
But the main qustion is: What happened to WENDY JAMES?

smoking smiley

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: November 23, 2009 12:42

Adrian-L
the simple fact remains, Abba and Led Zep
(the only 2 acts on the planet capable of filling the O2 x 50), are not millions in debt, and so, do not need to do these concerts.
Jacko needed to do them - they were a necessity.

A re-formed Floyd could do it. But they won't.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 28, 2009 18:46

The girls were so sexy...when you look back at it now.....i used to hate them way back than (my sister was a big fan..i was nine she was ten).....some real good pop songs....so many children went to their shows...real young kids ( 9,10,11 years old btw that happened to kiss to in 1979)....its so funny i think...those hot girls..and those young kids with their parents screaming....they should reform...that crowd must be old now!! And hell yeah i want them to do new songs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-28 18:48 by rooster.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 28, 2009 18:51

The ABBA songs are sweet and nice. I love them, but like chewing gum you get bored after a while. The Stones - blues and rock last longer. Still, the world (including myself) love ABBA and would like to see them 50 or 100 times at the O2 in London. But it would never happen. Bjørn and Benny do have integrity. ABBA is finished live and will not appear again live.

Bjornulf

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 28, 2009 19:02

I saw this docu the other night ad some nembers really like The Stones...I saw this pre -Abba band rocking(in some nice old sweet film)...I think the lads and Frida wanna rock...Agnetha just dont want to do it....and she is my fav! Hmmm Are they or should they be in the R&R hall of fame?? I say I.....it aint R&R but they were important foo music...for sure....Like a bang Boomerang...cheers!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 28, 2009 20:38

No need to apologize ,Laydy Jane .smiling smiley
Abba wasn't my cup of tea but to be /being fair , they were indeed an huge phenomenon in France .
Meanwhile ,Frenchies were fond of the "Rubettes ", can you believe it ?cool smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home