Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Shine A Light Revisited
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: November 9, 2009 19:33

Watched this DVD again the other day. What I really noticed is the pitch shifting on Jaggers voice, there are a few Minnie Mouse moments smiling smiley Howver they didnt bother technically correcting Jack Whites out of tune vocal, Stones still playing the old tricks LOL!!

Re: Shine A Light Revisited
Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: November 9, 2009 20:27

Shine A Light is brilliant. A concert film that doesn't take itself too seriously!!

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: November 9, 2009 20:43

Mick's version of "SFTD," with his high pitched, whiney, "Woo-Woos," is the worst song they've ever done on a concert DVD. Pretty good otherwise.

"Far Away Eyes," "Connection" and "Tumbling Dice" my faves.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: November 9, 2009 22:57

Woody24
Mick's version of "SFTD," with his high pitched, whiney, "Woo-Woos," is the worst song they've ever done on a concert DVD.

Total agreement!! He must not have previewed that particular rendition before it was actually released!

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: November 10, 2009 01:44

humanriff77

Watched this DVD again the other day. What I really noticed is the pitch shifting on Jaggers voice, there are a few Minnie Mouse moments smiling smiley Howver they didnt bother technically correcting Jack Whites out of tune vocal, Stones still playing the old tricks LOL!!

Do you watch the european version? So don`t forget the PAL-speeding. It was discussed before and it`s audible.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 10, 2009 01:58

Can anybody tell me if the UK BLU-RAY edition runs 4% fast like the UK DVD or is it at the correct speed?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 10, 2009 02:09

glad folks dig it...it's the stones after all and i'm usually desperate to get closer to them somehow...really a big fan...this film for me? not good. horrible as a 'documentary'...horribly edited into the mick las vegas show...w plenty of bad plinky piano to prove it...ok they are old mega talented and sort of on auto-coast pilot....it's more special because it's so special for the fans to be part of the 'scene' as they are such huge icons now...deservedly...but this show is NOT something I've ever gone back to...or even sat entirely through frankly...if u have brussels...if you have vid w good audio on L&G...if you have HG boot etc...
i mean...this film was fluff and kinda sucked...thank you for your generous tolerance of one persons opinion...scorcese is a ditzy ho here...nothing more...

onnn the other hand...talking of LIVE ROLLING STONES....we gonna have a hot fat new yayas and i'm digging it baby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-10 02:10 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: saulsurvivor ()
Date: November 10, 2009 03:13

scorsese is a genius.

the stones are, too.

i watch a few tunes every week

and so should you

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: November 10, 2009 03:13

All Down the Line from Shine a Light is the Stones at their best

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 10, 2009 03:21

JMoisica
All Down the Line from Shine a Light is the Stones at their best

completely agree. ADTL and she was hot are the best moments. also like JJF and you got the silver...
shattered sucks and just my imagination is soooo terribly boring....

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: November 10, 2009 03:56

I find things to like here - but as a general comment - the performance itself simply does not GROOVE! Perhaps the single most consistent quality of their great performances (studio and live) is the total sense of rhythmic flow and groove. Even on totally marginal songs - the powerful rhythmic groove pulls them through.

In this case, they plow through the material and seem jumpy and off-center in many cases. Agree the ADTL smokes and there are other things to enjoy - but the relaxed flow they are famous for just isn't present on most of this.

IMO, Martin showed up 10 years too late for this tribute.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: November 10, 2009 11:48

Filmed with tons of cameras, directed by a movie genius, performed by a once brilliant live band and the result is:

An unwatchable/unlistenable piece of crap.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 10, 2009 12:05

mstmst
I find things to like here - but as a general comment - the performance itself simply does not GROOVE! Perhaps the single most consistent quality of their great performances (studio and live) is the total sense of rhythmic flow and groove. Even on totally marginal songs - the powerful rhythmic groove pulls them through.

In this case, they plow through the material and seem jumpy and off-center in many cases. Agree the ADTL smokes and there are other things to enjoy - but the relaxed flow they are famous for just isn't present on most of this.
You're pointing out exactly why I don't like the latter day Stones so much. They don't have that groove and feel anymore.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: November 10, 2009 12:20

I can't watch it all of the way through. Some of it feels rushed and not so loose.

The odd song is great - All Down The Line, Champagne and Reefer...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 10, 2009 18:42

The film is okay to me but I expected something more different from Scorcese.

Apart from that it's the old Stones problem. They can't really work on demand. They try to concentrate but don't get in the groove.

Two weeks later they played a really great show in Atlantic City!
Most of the songs had been played much better then at the Beacon.
Pity that gig didn't make it on a live album/video.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 10, 2009 19:22

LieB
mstmst

You're pointing out exactly why I don't like the latter day Stones so much. They don't have that groove and feel anymore.

bill wyman missed much? i theeeeenk so....

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 10, 2009 19:32

To be honest, there is not a single film by Scorsese that I like without reserves. On the other hand, I find it easy to recognize the man's huge talent.

Shine a Light makes no exception. I would have done a different movie, that's for sure. But to no way I can agree with what I read in this thread: this is a great film, and it has soul!

I play it in parts at least once a week. It keeps the doctor away!

C

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: November 10, 2009 20:35

Personally I absolutely love it. First time I saw the movie was in Birmingham, had a few jars round Brum before going to the cinema and was totally stoked by the whole event. Realy enjoyed the first few minutes showing the premiere at Leicester square, then as soon as the music kicked off. That was it, I was rockin n' a rollin.

Went to see it a few more times at my local cinema the following week. samne thing happened. couldn't help myself, had to rock out. The power of Rock compelled me!!!

But to be completely honest. I much prefer listening to the album than watching the movie. It has a very tight but loose, rock n roll vibe too it, not too slickly produced to my ears. bit rough n ready, which is just how I like my music. Often put the album on and am never dissapointed.

One admition though - always skip As Tears Go By, can't stick it. Everything else though. ROCKIN!

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: November 10, 2009 20:49

Hey RockinBuds
I was at the first of 2 shows which were edited into SHINE A LIGHT, I did not feel at the time the the show was one of their best , particularly As Tears Go By seemed to break the rhythym of the gig, I was told the second show was the better of the two shows, in fact the second show was postponed by 2 days as MJ was sick..However the event and proximity of the band in such a small venue was immense. ..and our boys seemed very relaxed. Not to foget that it was a Chrity event for the Clinton Foundation..She was Hot and Silver were great high points, ...the Buddy Guy tune really ripped the joint up... The Beacon seats @ 3100 but for that gig at least the first 20 rows were taken out for the camera tracks visible in the dvd and for all the standing room Hotties to be seen in the front, they were actually brought in for the film...so maybe there were @2000 in attendance
When I saw the flick on the Big Screen I actually felt the sound was far superior to being at the gig, the marvels of modern technology..
I was also at The Orpheum in Boston 9-02 the 2nd gig of Licks Tour which IMHO was the absolute zenith penultimate Rolling Stones experience, the Orpheum was built in late 1800's w/o AC, it was 93 degrees in Boston that day so inside was @ 120,there were probably 1200-1500 in attendanace
IT WAS HOTTTT..
RockinBud
www.myspace.com/rockinbuds

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 10, 2009 21:09

The beginning of it is interesting as well as when the show starts. After that it gets a bit...boring. But it still has great moments - Some Girls, Faraway Eyes. Keith's tunes are awful. SFTD is tired. Overall it's just - it's interesting and it is funny. But it's difficult to place it next to the big show DVDs that are more focused, I guess, on the task at hand - touring.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 10, 2009 21:30

I thought the film was excellent and I really enjoyed the soundtrack, also: shame about Sympathy For The Devil, though!

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: November 10, 2009 21:35

I known that i'll still enjoy watching Shine a light in a few years just for this great instant I have when discovering the movie (hi fanch & claude): She was hot , Mick & Lisa

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: November 10, 2009 21:38

it's the stones in 2006, and that's just OK,

Posted by: winter ()
Date: November 10, 2009 21:43

a waste of equipment, energy, talent and time. the 'newest' song was what, 1983's Undercover? this director and this band should have gotten together during Stripped, NS tour or the Licks tour theatre shows. depressingly disappointing, cynically predictable song selection, except for the nugget Champagne and Reefer. can't even bother to hash out ABB's BOMH, RFD, RJ, etc. christ, even SOL would've been a step in the present, a show of currency, something. a real missed opportunity of a very special band in a very special venue with some very special cinematographers.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: November 11, 2009 00:15

"You're pointing out exactly why I don't like the latter day Stones so much. They don't have that groove and feel anymore."
"bill wyman missed much? i theeeeenk so...."

yes, but it´s also charlie. he plays very boring these days. same lame pattern every song. and it has no feel anymore.

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: November 11, 2009 02:55

the one part that really worried me was when mick was looking over a song list and the thumbs down tunes he felt were obscure would have made a great set list i mean love em or hate em u2 opens and closes their shows with new tunes and clapton is making a rather great effort to revisit every period of his career

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: November 11, 2009 04:44

Beelyboy
glad folks dig it...it's the stones after all and i'm usually desperate to get closer to them somehow...really a big fan...this film for me? not good. horrible as a 'documentary'...horribly edited into the mick las vegas show...w plenty of bad plinky piano to prove it...ok they are old mega talented and sort of on auto-coast pilot....it's more special because it's so special for the fans to be part of the 'scene' as they are such huge icons now...deservedly...but this show is NOT something I've ever gone back to...or even sat entirely through frankly...if u have brussels...if you have vid w good audio on L&G...if you have HG boot etc...
i mean...this film was fluff and kinda sucked...thank you for your generous tolerance of one persons opinion...scorcese is a ditzy ho here...nothing more...

onnn the other hand...talking of LIVE ROLLING STONES....we gonna have a hot fat new yayas and i'm digging it baby
Agreed 1oo% This is the WORST live Cd/DVD the band has EVER released. Worse than the Live licks edits! This has to be Micks worst singing ever on record. She WAs Hot is a joke, JJF is terrible, and SFTD is absolutely embarassing! Pure shite! They should have just released some of the club shows from the Licks tour. Those were terrific!

Posted by: saulsurvivor ()
Date: November 11, 2009 05:30

Charlie doesn't have feel?

Hmmmm....I have about 40 recordings from various 2005-2007 shows that beg to differ.

I do believe that the Stones weren't exactly in the zone for SAL, but that was bound to happen with the amount of cameras, floor directors, and scorsese calling the shots.

There are sublime moments though. The last few minutes of Tumbling Dice being among them.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: November 11, 2009 08:55

Looks like i started a controversy oops smiling smiley I actually enjoyed watching it, i think its too much to expect of old men that they play like 1972. Im also of the opinion when they are on they still have it (Saitama and Dubendorf being great examples) and yes Bill will never be adequately replaced. The comment about Charlie I disagree with.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: November 11, 2009 09:19

all you know is what you play, I repeatedly go back to this album over almost all of the other live ones

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home