Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Don Was: L'Wren cried, thought "Following the River" was Mick saying goodbye
Posted by: twenny revlights ()
Date: June 7, 2010 07:15

(the following excerpts come from two similar longer Don Was
stories linked below, about his appearance last week at the Grammy museum)

Was noted that Richards spent three days in New York to record his parts for the bonus tracks, and that Mick
Jagger had not seen guitarist Mick Taylor in twenty five-years. As far as Taylor’s newly added licks, Was commented
that Taylor “knocked them out in an hour.”

(this would seem to contradict Keith's quote that he only put acoustic guitar on one track)

Recalling his attending the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, surrounded by a political underground that included
the Students for Democratic Society (SDS) and the Weatherman, Was indicated, “There was a growing sense you
couldn’t work in the system...You had to get out, or blow it up.” Was said that his left-leaning environment,
coupled with listening to Exile, had a profound impact on him, and that he would make the decision to drop out of
college. He then joked that was not likely Mick Jagger’s intent. “It’s pretty clear now, all they had in mind was,
‘Let’s get our money back.’"

While rumors and postings have persisted in the internet for years that there is unreleased material featuring
Keith Richards and the late Gram Parsons, Was confirmed that there was none.

He said that with the track “Following The River,” “It was really Nicky (Hopkins) and Keith playing. There was no
indication of what the lyrics or the melody would be, so Mick had to approach it from scratch.” It was poignant
when Was talked about the first time he listened to that bonus track. "The lyrics are very emotional and chilling.
I heard it as a farewell to the audience, no more live shows, and Mick’s girlfriend started crying thinking it
was farewell to her. But I talked to him (Jagger), and it was something else.”

Was pontificated that fans project themselves into the band, and into the meanings of their lyrics. He used his incorrect
assumption about the lyrics from “Following The River” as an example of such projections. Was also joked, “If Mick
Jagger is ten years older than I am, and he’s running all over the stage like that, then I’m not old yet.” He stated his
belief that fans neuroses merge into their attraction for the band. Was said of Keith Richards, “He’s your designated
Wildman. It (admiration of Richards) verifies that ‘it’ is still alive in you.”

Was joked about the bonus track “Dancing In the Light,” saying that he had toyed with the thought of adding some bass
to it, himself. “I’m at home. Who’s gonna know?” joked Was. “Forget it,” said Was. “He (Wyman) is one of the great bass
players of all time.”

Was raved about a still unreleased track recorded for Goats Head Soup called “Scarlet,” proclaiming, “It could be a hit.”

The band has a slew of outtakes. Was, who says the Stones’ Some Girls era was one of his favorite places in the band’s
timeline, said, “There’s a ton of stuff in the vault from that period,” adding, “You could easily make ten or twelve records
like this Exile thing.”

[www.examiner.com]

[blogdowntown.com]’-producer-connects-at-grammy

Re: Don Was: L'Wren cried, thought "Following the River" was Mick saying goodbye
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 7, 2010 07:23

it was mick saying goodbye to his talent

Re: Don Was: L'Wren cried, thought "Following the River" was Mick saying goodbye
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 7, 2010 09:48

come beely, resist the temptation to follow the pack of the cynical bashing default that many are on, your better than that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-07 09:53 by whitem8.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 7, 2010 11:31

Haha, Taylor did his brilliant leads in one hour, and Keith took three days for his overdubs and still couldn't even remember (or tell) what he actually did...

Nice article, thanks for posting!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 7, 2010 12:01

great.
One Love
jeroen

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 7, 2010 13:57

Beelyboy
You are absolutely free to leave this group and join the Journey fan Club.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: June 7, 2010 14:40

twenny revlights
Was raved about a still unreleased track recorded for Goats Head Soup called “Scarlet,” proclaiming, “It could be a hit.”

Is this the track that Keith wrote with Jimmy Page (Scarlet being the name of Page's daughter)?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 7, 2010 14:41

The reason for 'Scarlet''s exclusion from the Exile reissue explained, then.

Nice article. Thanks.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 7, 2010 14:47

LieB
Haha, Taylor did his brilliant leads in one hour, and Keith took three days for his overdubs and still couldn't even remember (or tell) what he actually did...

Didn't taylor and Jagger see each other at the rock & roll Hall of Fame induction? That would be less than 25 years, but who's counting, it must have been an interesting meeting. Would have loved to have been the proverbial fly on the wall.

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 7, 2010 14:48

Quote:

The band has a slew of outtakes. Was, who says the Stones’ Some Girls era was one of his favorite places in the band’s
timeline, said, “There’s a ton of stuff in the vault from that period,” adding, “You could easily make ten or twelve records
like this Exile thing.”

Well, bring em on!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 7, 2010 15:05

71Tele
LieB

Didn't taylor and Jagger see each other at the rock & roll Hall of Fame induction? That would be less than 25 years, but who's counting, it must have been an interesting meeting. Would have loved to have been the proverbial fly on the wall.

yes, they did. January 1989.

I'd also have thought surely there was some contact in August 2003 when Taylor was supposed to have been guesting with the Stones at the Astoria.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2010 16:29

From first listen I doubted Watts is playing on Following the River, and that now seems to be confirmed by Was.

Mathijs

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: June 7, 2010 16:52

Who cares who played on the songs. Many tim,es other people played oncertain songs we don't know about. What matters is that we have a CD full of great new Stones songs. the best stuff they did in years!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 7, 2010 16:56

susannewortmann
Who cares who played on the songs. Many tim,es other people played oncertain songs we don't know about. What matters is that we have a CD full of great new Stones songs. the best stuff they did in years!

Well, I'm glad Taylor played on PMS instead of Keith. As if the performance of/players on the songs doesn't/don't matter. That makes no sense to me.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 7, 2010 17:05

Great read...Give us more music from the past...Thanks for posting the article.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 7, 2010 17:56

whitem8
come beely, resist the temptation to follow the pack of the cynical bashing default that many are on, your better than that.

i'm better than that, too, but i can't resist either. it's so fun.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 7, 2010 18:30

i cried too when i heard following the river lol, wtf is mick thinking releasing trash like this.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: June 7, 2010 18:58

I agree- it's utterly painful...

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: June 7, 2010 19:13

...was at the Grammy Museum for this event smiling smiley

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: June 7, 2010 19:14

...and thanks for posting the links to these articles...author's often get paid by hits the original link.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 7, 2010 19:44

Lynd8
Beelyboy

Beelyboy is also absolutely free to stay with this group. No one here has the special literary talent Beely has and I enjoy it and his posts very much, regardless if I agree or disagree. So I would feel very sorry if Beely would leave the group.

IORR without Beely? My answer is a very big NO!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: June 7, 2010 20:15

yes, would be so sad

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 7, 2010 20:18

Mathijs
From first listen I doubted Watts is playing on Following the River, and that now seems to be confirmed by Was.

Mathijs

Show me where it says it's not Watts playing drums. I have yet to see anyone say otherwise.

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: June 7, 2010 20:27

My intial impression re: Following the River was that it was awful but now I love it. It's schmaltzy and some of the words are bad but it's really good schmaltz. And even though his voice is thin, it's one of Mick's best vocals in a long time.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 7, 2010 20:37

Seems like Charlie was quite much present at the reissue of EOMS:

Interview with Was:A lot of music fans may have different ideas of what the Rolling Stones are like when they write songs. What’s the real dynamic of songwriting with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, the band’s chief songwriters?

It changes from song to song. There are moments or years when you’re more inspired than others. The great thing about a band is that if you’re uninspired and someone else in the band is particularly inspired, I’ve seen the dynamic shift over the years, back and forth. I’ve seen them sitting in a room together with two guitars, writing songs. With [the work we did on the reissue of] "Exile," there was nobody there, except Mick, Keith, Charlie [Watts], the engineer and a guitar — and a butler and a maid and a five-star chef. [He laughs.] So there was nothing to do but interact. One day, everybody hung out more than they usually did, so there’s tremendous interaction between Mick, Keith and Charlie on that record.

Else:

[www.examiner.com]

[www.examiner.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-07 20:39 by mtaylor.

Date: June 7, 2010 20:53

But surely it's Charlie on the 1971 recording of the track. The only other person it could be is Jimmy Miller.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 7, 2010 21:17

kleermaker
Lynd8
Beelyboy

Beelyboy is also absolutely free to stay with this group. No one here has the special literary talent Beely has and I enjoy it and his posts very much, regardless if I agree or disagree. So I would feel very sorry if Beely would leave the group.

IORR without Beely? My answer is a very big NO!

you're right kleermaker. and concerning FTR beelboy is absolutely right....not far from candel in the wind....although i think, that mick is still extremly talented, but he lost almost all his style and taste (not only with that song...)in the last...hmmm 20 years...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2010 21:26

skipstone
But surely it's Charlie on the 1971 recording of the track. The only other person it could be is Jimmy Miller.

Well, as said, from the first listen I just doubt it's Watts on drums, as there are fills that I just never heard him play, and the drums sound modern, not this old fashioned Gretsch sound. Was states "that “It was really Nicky (Hopkins) and Keith playing. There was no indication of what the lyrics or the melody would be, so Mick had to approach it from scratch.”, and this makes me even wonder more that the basic track was just that, and that all else was dubbed in -including drums.

But, there's no proof, it's just me ears.

Mathijs

Date: June 7, 2010 21:48

Ah. OK.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 7, 2010 21:49

As it happens, I agree with your ears. It doesn't sound like Charlie to me either.

I also think the really clumsy percussion overdub on "So Divine" is bad Pro Tools. I wince every time I play it. It sounds more amateurish than anything I've ever heard from the band. The only daft moment in an otherwise good song.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home