Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Netherlands (Holland) Best
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 7, 2010 23:03

BRAINBOX 1969

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 7, 2010 23:08

Good tastethumbs up

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 7, 2010 23:27

Focus were the best dutch band - great guitar by Jan Akkerman

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: June 7, 2010 23:36

Guitarist Eelco Gelling of Cuby and the Blizzards!! John Mayall considered Gelling as a replacement for Peter Green in John Mayalls Bluesbreakers, just before Mick Taylor got the job. I think Gelling's playing is far more exciting than Taylor's was in 1968. BUT... smiling smiley then you've got Taylor on fire with the Rolling Stones...wheeew

Date: June 7, 2010 23:45

mtaylor

Indeed the best Dutch band.
A pity they stopped after a short time when Eef Albers replaced Jan,a guitar player I consider as even better/more jazzy..

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: June 7, 2010 23:45

TooTough
Any reunion planned? What is thijs doing?

To busy with Timothy Horse............. ;-)

Mr.Fancyman

Date: June 7, 2010 23:47

Sacke
Guitarist Eelco Gelling of Cuby and the Blizzards!! John Mayall considered Gelling as a replacement for Peter Green in John Mayalls Bluesbreakers, just before Mick Taylor got the job. I think Gelling's playing is far more exciting than Taylor's was in 1968. BUT... smiling smiley then you've got Taylor on fire with the Rolling Stones...wheeew

Don't worry,Gelling is even more exciting than Clapton.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2010 23:49

TooTough
Mathijs
TooTough

Hollands finest!

Mathijs

Any reunion planned? What is thijs doing?

Thijs is now the keyboardist, co-author and manager of Tim Knol (www.timknol.com), an Americana meets Neil Young meets the Stones singer/song writer, after being in Dutch bands Johan, Ellen ten Damme and Do-the-undo. He's also in Anne Soldaat's newest affair aptly named 'Anne Soldaat', and a choice for any band in need of a keyboard player. He for example played with St. Jude when they did some shows in Holland, and has become part of the talented 'Excelsior' record label stable.

For Flip the Switch -no reunions are planned. We played 4 songs last Friday on a beautiful wedding, which was the first time in 5 years we played together. It was a gas, but I think it's going to take another 5 years and at least a wedding for us to play again.

Mathijs

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: June 8, 2010 00:13

SwayStones
Here it is ,it's just on one of my old tape :-))

"doin' nothing, just hanging around,
what do you mean doin' nothing Sir. "
I even didn't know he died some years ago sad smiley
I am not sure whether or not I saw him on live in Holland confused smiley

i did in "de speeldoos" in zaandam (my home town) dont know the year (rock on danny)

Date: June 8, 2010 00:28

Amsterdamned
Sacke

Don't worry,Gelling is even more exciting than Clapton.

Even a closed door is more exciting than Eric Clapton, but The One And Only Eric Clapton plays on John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton. His playing is more intense on that album than Eelco's best work, imo. Eelco's guitar playing is more original than the on the 3 Kings based work of Clapton. Well, it's a little bit comparing the apples and the bananas smiling smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 8, 2010 01:03

Sacke

One of the greatest guitar players ever...........and Herman Brood on piano

And of course Jan Akkerman who played a gig in The Hague last Saturday at Kader Rock, I didn't see him but my kids loved it

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 8, 2010 02:04

Herman Brood !
I knew him very good and years ago we often met at his Amsterdam flat.

He's been "one of a kind" and I still miss him very much . .

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 8, 2010 11:30

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: René ()
Date: June 8, 2010 11:56

straycatblues73
SwayStones

i did in "de speeldoos" in zaandam (my home town) dont know the year (rock on danny)

Aaah, De Speeldoos, voorloper van het Zaantheater...
Hé straycatblues73, jij ook een Zaankanter? Woon in Wormerveer (van origine Westzaner).

René

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 8, 2010 17:37

Mathijs
TooTough
Mathijs
Thijs is now the keyboardist, co-author and manager of Tim Knol (www.timknol.com), an Americana meets Neil Young meets the Stones singer/song writer, after being in Dutch bands Johan, Ellen ten Damme and Do-the-undo. He's also in Anne Soldaat's newest affair aptly named 'Anne Soldaat', and a choice for any band in need of a keyboard player. He for example played with St. Jude when they did some shows in Holland, and has become part of the talented 'Excelsior' record label stable.

For Flip the Switch -no reunions are planned. We played 4 songs last Friday on a beautiful wedding, which was the first time in 5 years we played together. It was a gas, but I think it's going to take another 5 years and at least a wedding for us to play again.

Mathijs

Thanks for the update!
Well, nice songwriting and they have an extended tour schedule as it seems.
Very talented duo, I must say. A good career move!

Check this out, people (Thijs on the right):

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 8, 2010 19:50

SwayStones

Compared to the way Herman Brood lived and died, our good old friend Keith Richards is just a beginner as for what some here consider as a rock and roll kind of lifestyle. Or better said: a phoney with a skull ring.

Date: June 8, 2010 19:57

Amsterdamned
mtaylor

A pity they stopped after a short time when Eef Albers replaced Jan,a guitar player I consider as even better/more jazzy..

I never liked Jan Akkermans way of playing that much. As for Focus: too intellectual to my taste, too heavily influenced by Van Leers classical music background. Much spectacle, little emotion. As for Eelco Gelling: that videoclip up here sounds boring to my ears. His fingers are very fast, but musically/emotionally it's not interesting to me.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 8, 2010 20:12

kleermaker
.Compared to the way Herman Brood lived and died, our good old friend Keith Richards is just a beginner as for what some here consider as a rock and roll kind of lifestyle. Or better said: a phoney with a skull ring.

I am glad you don't read all my posts ,kleemaker ....
Here is /that's what you missed .... :

SwayStones
About Herman Brood,I've been told he was a Dutch icon reflecting sex, drugs and rock & roll with an adequate end to it: suicide by jumping from the Hilton roof top in Amsterdam.

I've also been told that Brood was a bright, multi-talented low life addict, a total narcissist and a very disloyal and egoistic man.
But his music was great, as well as his paintings.

I don't know him enough,just listened to him many years ago and almost forgot him until today .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: June 8, 2010 20:21

kleermaker
Amsterdamned
mtaylor

I never liked Jan Akkermans way of playing that much. As for Focus: too intellectual to my taste, too heavily influenced by Van Leers classical music background. Much spectacle, little emotion. As for Eelco Gelling: that videoclip up here sounds boring to my ears. His fingers are very fast, but musically/emotionally it's not interesting to me.

Well it's a matter of taste.To my ears he plays very bluesy and his sound and feeling has balls.
But I think you gotta like and understand Jazz to enjoy his playing..And what's wrong with fast,as long as it adds something?
Some of Paganini capricio's for guitar are fast too,but nice though...a child can do it.winking smiley

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 8, 2010 20:36

Bingtangs....soon in amsterdam paradiso...ohhh auwe R&R band....started in 63.......the dutch Stones!! Go check and see them....wanna say i miss the q 65...shocking blue...god bless....The Earing..ba..rrel house.....blues with Tineke....remember!!!CB.....Wally Tax....cheers

Date: June 8, 2010 20:46

Nobody mentioning Tielman Brothers from the 40'ies to 70'ies playing rock:

Playing guitar with feet, behind the back, making the mill and playing drums walking around the drumkit on the floor.... way before the other ones.... did Hendrix and Keith get their special effects from them yawning smiley)) come on Amsterdamned, tell us about this unkown group

Date: June 8, 2010 20:55

Amsterdamned
kleermaker
Amsterdamned
mtaylor

Well it's a matter of taste.To my ears he plays very bluesy and his sound and feeling has balls.
But I think you gotta like and understand Jazz to enjoy his playing..And what's wrong with fast,as long as it adds something?
Some of Paganini capricio's for guitar are fast too,but nice though...a child can do it.winking smiley

Well, I have to admit that I'm not in Jazz. Nothing wrong with fast, but it's not a goal in itself. (BTW: I once saw and heard a YT-clip with two Indonesian guitar players compared to whom even Jan Akkerman and Eelco Gelling are simply slow. But I didn't like their music either).

I also don't like Paganini's virtuoso music that much (though acoustic guitar is almost always nice to hear). Well, generally I don't like virtuoso music. I don't consider Taylor as a virtuoso player but as a very musical and special musician who has really something (emotional) to say. Lightnin' once said that one can hear compassion in his playing. I think that's near the truth. I would agree with that. His musical improvisations or short solos in Stones songs are often a mix of melancholy and attachment to life. That's what does it for me.

Date: June 8, 2010 21:02

Let me tell you one thing Kleermaker:If I had to fly to another planet with only one record,Taylor would be on it.

Date: June 8, 2010 21:13

rooster
Bingtangs....soon in amsterdam paradiso...ohhh auwe R&R band....started in 63.......the dutch Stones!! Go check and see them....wanna say i miss the q 65...shocking blue...god bless....The Earing..ba..rrel house.....blues with Tineke....remember!!!CB.....Wally Tax....cheers

Shit,I forgot the Bintangs, the Dutch Rolling Stones so to speak.Great band..
Much better than all those Dutch Rolling Stones dead ringers.

Date: June 8, 2010 21:26

mtaylor

Playing guitar with feet, behind the back, making the mill and playing drums walking around the drumkit on the floor.... way before the other ones.... did Hendrix and Keith get their special effects from them yawning smiley)) come on Amsterdamned, tell us about this unkown group

You are talking about the T-Brothers?
I liked them, great entertainers,and they were the first to play the Les Paul as far as I know,even before lameass Clapton. (as a guitarplayer)

Date: June 8, 2010 21:55

Something else from the Netherlands...and I even like the tune!!!!

Date: June 8, 2010 22:09

What about Doe Maar???

Date: June 8, 2010 22:09

Amsterdamned
mtaylor

I liked them, great entertainers,and they were the first to play the Les Paul as far as I know,even before lameass Clapton. (as a guitarplayer)
They seemed to be one of the early ones with rock in Europe - funny enough playing rock started in Indonesia already in early 50'ies starting with Arthur Smith's - Guitar Boogie. I guess you learn every day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-09 06:13 by mtaylor.

Date: June 8, 2010 23:44

mtaylor
Amsterdamned
mtaylor

They seemed to be one of the early ones with rock in Europe - funny enough playing rock started in Indonesia already in early 50'ies starting with Arthur Smith's - Guitar Boogie. I guess you early every day.

No politics please.smiling smiley

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: June 8, 2010 23:56

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="

"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1498
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home