Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Now that We've Had Time to Listen to the Ten New Exile Tracks...
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 5, 2010 01:35

...it is now time to rank them in order from very fine to very lousy. I know this has been done before, but I think it is interesting to find out what everyone's preferences are. One person's gem is another's stinker, so don't worry if you offend another fan, inasmuch as we will never see one another anyway. List as number one the song you like or listen to most, and assign a # ten to the biggest loser. I will go first:

I'm Not Signifying-this grew on me over a period of weeks, but I can't help but want to listen to it over and over, pure New Orleans blues, just love it

Plundered My soul-the Stonesiest song on the album, with great guitar work by Taylor

Following the River-beautiful ballad with soulful lyrics

Soul Survivor-Keef does a good job on this one, and would work well for one one of his songs at a concert

Good Time Women- a knock-off of Tumbling Dice but just a little different

So Divine-interesting riff by Keith, innovative

Dancing in the Light-Jagger's singing is loud and grating on my nerves

Loving Cup-would like this one but the original version is so much better

Pass the Wine-can't get a handle on this one, doesn't sound like the Stones

Title 5-a waste of time and an excuse to fill up the CD with something

Re: Now that We've Had Time to Listen to the Ten New Exile Tracks...
Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 5, 2010 01:37

I like "Signifying" the best. Love the blues and the tip of the hat to New Orleans with the great piano and horns.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 5, 2010 01:41

LeedsLungs71
I like "Signifying" the best. Love the blues and the tip of the hat to New Orleans with the great piano and horns.

it's the only redeemer of the disc for me. having said that, it's an inferior version compared to the long-available boot version....

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: June 5, 2010 03:00

signifying and dancing in the light to me are the best

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: June 5, 2010 04:16

I don't get the appeal of the new Signifying track. The old bootlegged version was so good, I can't get into the slower groove. But it might grow on me.

Dancing In The Light and Aladdin Story are my favorites, but Plundered was a fantastic new song, and to get Mick Taylor on a new 2010 Rolling Stones song is still a bit unbelievable to me.

If I had to pick one that I could keep and all others back to the vault, I would pick Plundered without a doubt.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 5, 2010 18:14

I could add to your line:

Now that We've Had Time to Listen to the Ten New Exile Tracks... - come with more like Travellin Man - could be a top 10 single

Posted by: CMan ()
Date: June 5, 2010 18:19

StonesTod
LeedsLungs71

it's the only redeemer of the disc for me. having said that, it's an inferior version compared to the long-available boot version....

Do you mean the low-fi quality bootleg version with no bass or piano & very minimal drums? Unless there's another version out there, the new released version trumps it IMO.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 5, 2010 18:20

who are you guys kidding?
Plunder My Soul & Following The River are the standouts (forget about Loving Cup and soul survivor), the rest are "outtakes" and fillers.
Dancing & Alladin Story are OK....but nowhere near the 2 singles

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 5, 2010 18:21

flilflam
Good Time Women- a knock-off of Tumbling Dice but just a little different

It's not a knock off. It's been talked about for YEARS. Even before iorr.org came along.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 5, 2010 18:24

flilflam
.Good Time Women- a knock-off of Tumbling Dice but just a little different

confused smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: June 5, 2010 18:24

I'm Not Signifying- i think i prefer the old one

Plundered My soul-the Stonesiest song on the album, with great guitar work by Taylor . agree

Following the River-beautiful ballad with soulful lyrics- agree

Soul Survivor- nice to hear but of no use

Good Time Women- heard it before

So Divine- i like what's done with it . nice

Dancing in the Light-Jagger's singing is loud and grating on my nerves- agree again

Loving Cup- its good that it's another version than the booted one

Pass the Wine-can't get a handle on this one, doesn't sound like the Stones- havent made my mind up about it (but enjoying it

Title 5-a waste of time and an excuse to fill up the CD with something- like a brian era thing

apart from all this , i liked them from the start and am very pleased to have them.
did anybody change their mind after a few listenings?

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: June 5, 2010 18:31

Because of Jagger's sound on the tracks with new vocals, those all sound like Jagger solo tunes to me. I can literally flip a switch in my brain an imagine most of those on Wandering Spirit or Goddess in the Doorway. Still listenable, but not first rate Stones tracks to me.

To me a classic Stones track has the vocals buried deep sounding like another instrument. I mean Stones' lyrics are not exactly Dylan.

Following the River also strikes me as sounding a lot like Out of Tears.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 5, 2010 19:37

Pass The Wine - Far out tune. This is fantastic.

Plundered My Soul - The second best song on the album. This song has really sunk in well. Great tune.

I'm Not Signifying - Best song on the entire disc and a million times better than the guitar only booted version.

Following The River - Musically too close to Loving Cup. Vocal and lyric wise it's horrendous.

Dancing In The Light - Cool tune but there's something odd about it, it's sort of generic. That Nashville bendy guitar sounds NEW.

So Divine - Odd track. It makes sense to me why it was left off. Too hippie tripped out. What the hell is up with the super fuzzed out sitar or some kind of horn sounding thing? Horrible new Keith overdub. As much as I don't like this track so much it seems to me it would be perfect for driving around somehow.

Loving Cup - Interesting. It's nice to hear earlier working versions of songs.

Soul Survivor - Cool to hear the instruments mixed a bit different than the LP version. Do not care that it's Keith mumbling away.

Good Time Women - Nice to hear this officially ie good quality. What's interesting is how they slowed it down and gave it a groove to become Tumbling Dice. It almost works fast - but not when compared to Tumbling Dice.

Title 5 - Cool trip. If this is filling up a CD they failed because this album is hardly what I would call filling up a CD and this track certainly isn't pushing any time limits.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 5, 2010 19:45

CMan
StonesTod
LeedsLungs71

Do you mean the low-fi quality bootleg version with no bass or piano & very minimal drums? Unless there's another version out there, the new released version trumps it IMO.

I clearly hear a piano. Good vocals and great guitarwork. Low-fi quality? I wouldn't say that. But if this had been put on the bonus cd the sound quality would be even better, wouldn't it?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 5, 2010 19:48

So Devine is the best of the bunch, no doubt for me.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 5, 2010 19:53

straycatblues73

My star rating went up from 2,5 in the beginning to 2,8. I didn't exclude ending up with 3 stars (meaning 'sufficient'), but I'm stuck at 2,8 and I think that won't change. But it's still not impossible.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 5, 2010 22:17

kleermaker
straycatblues73
I've not bought it yet - just listened on the net. I guess, I am one of those, that buy a CD once and that's enough.
They are great songs, great as unreleased songs for fans. It wouldn't fit as an enitre new CD. In that respect it is the same as U2, Beatles and other have done -interesting songs, funny to listen to, get to know what they were recording during the sessions of additional material - like a treat to the fans.
They should have done the same with Some Girls, Voodoo Lonuge etc. when they were rerereleased for the xx time on UMG. There are still so many other good songs unreleased which they could publish.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 6, 2010 01:07

mtaylor

Now that We've Had Time to Listen to the Ten New Exile Tracks... - come with more like Travellin Man - could be a top 10 single

This sounds way more "Exile" than half the bonus tracks we got on the new record. Those guitars!

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 6, 2010 02:52

I don't really buy the whole "Jagger solo" views most people seem to have. I understand to an extent, but don't really agree -

So Divine is wonderful, loving it. I dig Keith's drunken, slurred guide vocal on Soul Survivor as well.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 6, 2010 05:59

I love it!

I think it is far superior to A Bigger Bang (although that has its moments for me)

Pass The Wine has a great groove/chorus and the Yea, I'll tell ya! line is great.
I don't know how well if fits into the Exile genre, has a much more mature feel to it...but it is a great song nonetheless.

IMHO there's not a bad/filler track on it.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 6, 2010 06:22

mtaylor

Excellent number. Should of def been on the new Exile.

And I don't care what anybody says about Dancing in the Light. Great number and I love it.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 6, 2010 06:29

mtaylor

now, thats what i call a great outtake. about a zillion times better than all that jagger pimped stuff...as someone mentioned: it just sounds like his solo stuff...boring, overacted, overproduced, no style. yeah jagger just lost musical taste and style...
but this song here rocks! why, oh why is it not in the outtakes cd???

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 6, 2010 08:52

guitarbastard
mtaylor

now, thats what i call a great outtake. about a zillion times better than all that jagger pimped stuff...as someone mentioned: it just sounds like his solo stuff...boring, overacted, overproduced, no style. yeah jagger just lost musical taste and style...
but this song here rocks! why, oh why is it not in the outtakes cd???

This is so cool when the Wurlitzer piano kicks in. The guitars chug like nobody's business. Anyone who doesn't think this period is the best Stones guitar section only needs to listen to this track. To release it they should probably edit it down a little bit in length, as it is a repetitive progression (could use a bridge) and the lyrics aren't finished. But a 4 minute version of this would be just fine with no overdubs. If this had been included on the new Exile, I think it would have sealed the deal for a lot of people.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1668
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home