Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones and The Doors
Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: November 3, 2009 03:20

Almost sure there is an answere somewhere here, but I cannot find it.
What did the Stones think about The Doors? Never seen any their notes, neither good nor bad. Did they consider Doors near themselves - or not, maybe opposite?

Re: The Stones and The Doors
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 3, 2009 03:22

There is a story when the Stones were in LA & got to hear the Stones, at least Jagger.. And he said he didnt like it.. Thats what I have heard.. Sure someone can give more details. At some points some genius promotin' figures spread the word that the Doors were some kinda American response on the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-03 03:23 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 3, 2009 12:02

jim morrison loved the stonesand had a friendship with brian jones, when brian died, he wrote a poem for him and it was published in a magazine . from what i read,there was a slight clash of egos that night. mick didn't like the show he attended because the songs were too long. morrison was afraid jagger would steal his moves. 1969 jim was going to see the stones in concert in phoenix arizona but some friends he was with started acting stupid on the plane and jim was arrested and missed the show. during the trial it was proven that the stewardess mistook jim for one of his friends and was cleared of charges but he ended up missing the show he really wanted to see. also while in paris morrison bought a copy of sticky fingers and played it non stop to the point of driving his girlfriend crazy. one final thing ... i always felt that jim and keith would of gotten along well, their personalities were alot alike and both had a deep love of the blues.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 3, 2009 13:18

Here's my favourite Stones/Doors story. You have to know the film The Italian Job to appreciate it.

In a hotel room, Jim Morrison is in one corner with the rest of The Doors; in another corner are Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts - all are naked. Pamela Des Barres walks in, drops to her knees in front of Jim Morrison and begins to play the pink oboe. She swallows nicely then does the same for his guitarist, bassist, then his drummer and finally the keyboard player.

When she's finished, she licks her lips and wanders over
to Mick and begins to do the same to him.

At that moment, there's a huge crash and Michael Caine
smashes through the wall in a Mini-Cooper. He jumps out and grabs her by
the scruff of the neck.

"Oi!," he shouts.......

..... "you're only supposed to blow the bloody Doors off!"

Date: November 3, 2009 16:38

ghostryder13,
i always felt that jim and keith would of gotten along well, their personalities were alot alike and both had a deep love of the blues.

Yeah,as two men and two musicians maybe... though in general, for me, Stones and Doors are about two opposite things... maybe - about the Life in spite of everything,and the Death in spite of everything. And both are necessary for each other.

Silver Dagger,
No, I don`t know the film, but it`s funny all the same smiling smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2009 16:49

One of the greatest singers of all time. No telling what could have been accomplished if still alive.

Date: November 3, 2009 16:57

Chris Fountain,
One of the greatest singers of all time
yes. And not only singers, I think - of artists in broad meaning of the word.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-03 17:00 by kater-v.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 3, 2009 16:57

Well I know the Doors were Stones fans, especially drummer John Densmore. In his autobiography I remember him going on about him and other band members thinking Aftermath was basically the greatest rock album to have been released at that point in history. I also remember reading that Jagger was in the audience at the Doors infamous Hollywood Bowl show in 68 and, when asked later what he thought of Morrison, he replied that he (or maybe the show) was "a bore". Not sure about the accuracy of that later anecdote, but I have read it more than once.

Incidentally, I think the Doors got more early comparison when they came out to the Animals, namely Morrison and Eric Burdon's similar voices, and the bands emphasis on keyboard heavy, blues-influenced songs.

Either way, all great bands. I don't understand why the Doors are slagged so much, always being called 'overrated' and what not. True, the idolatry is WAY out of control sometimes, but Morrison was a great singer with some occasionally interesting lyrics, and he was backed by 3 top-notch (and sadly underrated) musicians.

Also, they do have something in common with the Stones in the fact they were one of the first rock bands to go into some genuinely DARK territory. Where the Stones took pop music in a whole new direction with Paint It Black, the Doors built on it with songs like The End and People Are Strange. Remember, this was 67, the Summer of Love, and for a rock band to be talking about killing your dad and shagging your mom - I am sure it left a few hippies shaking in their sandals.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 3, 2009 17:05

>> then does the same for his guitarist, bassist, then his drummer and finally the keyboard player <<

the Department of Historical Accuracy just wants to note that the Doors didn't have a bassist.
they used session players in the studio, and in concert Manzarek played the bass lines on keys.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2009 17:08

kater-v:

yes. And not only singers, I think - of artists in broad meaning of the word.

He was also a great artistic writer and (if not mistaken) a painter as well.

Date: November 3, 2009 17:09

Haha. Just checking that you were still awake. Full marks out of ten for historical accuracy. Hope it didn't get in the way of a good joke.

Date: November 3, 2009 17:10

with sssoul
note that the Doors didn't have a bassist.they used session players in the studio
well,let`s take it was that session bassist, who desided to rest with the band after rehearsal smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 3, 2009 19:45

Yo.. Keith & Jimbo, two Sagittarians. Brian kinda could have gotten along with Robbie & Mick with Pamela...
That leaves Ray & Bill & John chattin with Charlie, huh?

A jam session is still possible minus Brian & Jimbo.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 3, 2009 19:47

Silver Dagger
Here's my favourite Stones/Doors story. You have to know the film The Italian Job to appreciate it.

In a hotel room, Jim Morrison is in one corner with the rest of The Doors; in another corner are Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts - all are naked. Pamela Des Barres walks in, drops to her knees in front of Jim Morrison and begins to play the pink oboe. She swallows nicely then does the same for his guitarist, bassist, then his drummer and finally the keyboard player.

When she's finished, she licks her lips and wanders over
to Mick and begins to do the same to him.

At that moment, there's a huge crash and Michael Caine
smashes through the wall in a Mini-Cooper. He jumps out and grabs her by
the scruff of the neck.

"Oi!," he shouts.......

..... "you're only supposed to blow the bloody Doors off!"

LOL. Brilliant. Never heard that one before.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 3, 2009 20:52

>> well,let`s take it was [one of the] session bassists, who decided to rest with the band after rehearsal <<

or Manzarek got done twice

Date: November 4, 2009 00:03

with sssoul,

or Manzarek got done twice
- that`s even better! Let it be Ray, I like his booksmiling smiley

Date: November 4, 2009 01:08

i buy every doors live album because they are so out of control. there is an actual sense of danger on them that i've never heard on a stones live. never know what morrison will say. the 6 disc felt forum boxset comes out mid november

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 4, 2009 01:27

keefriffhard4life
i buy every doors live album because they are so out of control. there is an actual sense of danger on them that i've never heard on a stones live. never know what morrison will say. the 6 disc felt forum boxset comes out mid november

I agree, but I have been pretty disappointed with many of them on the Bright Midnight label. While 'Absolutely Live' and 'Alive She Cried' showcased brilliance, these later releases (take Live in Pittsburgh for example) don't do much for me. A lot of going through the motions, musically. Now, as far as performance art and experiment goes though, they're pretty fascinating documents. But they were great musicians and sometimes I just want to hear some music.

Date: November 4, 2009 02:33

theimposter
keefriffhard4life

I agree, but I have been pretty disappointed with many of them on the Bright Midnight label. While 'Absolutely Live' and 'Alive She Cried' showcased brilliance, these later releases (take Live in Pittsburgh for example) don't do much for me. A lot of going through the motions, musically. Now, as far as performance art and experiment goes though, they're pretty fascinating documents. But they were great musicians and sometimes I just want to hear some music.

pittsburgh is a pretty subdued show. boston is a good crazy show. this felt forum boxset should be interesting

Posted by: squando ()
Date: November 4, 2009 03:18

I know Keith never met any of them - during the Doors' working years anyway. He may have met Kreiger since but I'm not sure.

Jagger was at the Hollywood Bowl concert and their is a back stage photo of him and Jim together (posing for the shot).

I never heard anything about Brian and Jim having a friendship. I know Morrison wrote "Ode to L.A" but he was from what I have read more concerned with what the public would think and how they'd react if he were to die. Lovely poem though.

I'm not sure who the three Stones were that went to see the Doors recording circa 1966. I know Keith said "Never met the man" when asked about Morrison once.

Date: November 4, 2009 07:34

theimposter
keefriffhard4life

most of the bright midnight recordings are from the doors 1970 tour. by that time jim was tired of being the wild man onstage and focused on singing unless he was drunk of course according to the doors the miami incident in 1969 was due to the fact that jim felt people came to see the doors just to see him do something crazy onstage instead of wanting to hear the music

Date: November 4, 2009 08:36

most of what the doors have in the vaults are shows from 1970. its a shame because they had some great shows before that. the matrix is the only pre 1970 show released and they botched that up but are trying to rectify the problem of releasing an album from second generation bootlegs. they have now acquired the original recording of the matrix shows

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 4, 2009 11:48

Hey ,katerv ! Some interesting reading in NorthShoreBlues' thread :

[www.iorr.org]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 4, 2009 11:57

I read somewhere ages ago that in 1967 Jagger was certainly curious/jealous of this psychedelic young upstart who was theatening to become rebel rock's new heartthrob and who was starting to get amazing press.

Date: November 4, 2009 12:38

Curious ,for sure.
Jealous ? Don't think so.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 4, 2009 12:47

I meant jealous of all the publicity he was getting at a time when the Stones' future hung in the balance with all those busts, managerless after Oldham walked out and the messy Satanic Recording sessions.

Date: November 4, 2009 12:49

Silver Dagger
I meant jealous of all the publicity he was getting at a time when the Stones' future hung in the balance with all those busts, managerless after Oldham walked out and the messy Satanic Recording sessions.

Get it .smileys with beer

Date: November 4, 2009 20:07

mick was a rebel only onstage jim was a rebel 24/7 . mick knew when to say when with drink and drugs while jim lived on the edge non stop.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 4, 2009 20:54

..which is why one's still around and one isn't.

Somehow I doubt Mick is too 'jealous' of him now.

Date: November 4, 2009 21:06

i love both bands and though i was born in 67 i have a feeling that jimbo is more popular after death than he was alive

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home