Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones and The Doors
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 4, 2009 21:09

Thats mainly BECAUSE he's a) dead and b) died young.

Great band. I've always loved The Doors since I first heard them back 30 years ago before they got really big...LOL.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 4, 2009 21:27

Virtually everyone who cared about music in Los Angeles looked up to the Stones, including the Doors. I know Morrison admired Mick because he told me so himself.
There was a pecking order in music in the sixties. Mick did not fear Jim Morrison.

Jim IS more popular today. How numerous people who knew him in the sixties thought of him was with interest, appreciation of the music and gradually with concern and a vague apprehension. He was very bright: one rooted for him. But he was in bad shape before he went to Paris...

Date: November 4, 2009 21:33

Me last year outside the place where The Lizard King took his final bath.

,...and where he ended up shortly afterwards (pic taken in '05)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 5, 2009 01:44

Been to both the mothers of my kids to the Lizard King Grave..
Even engaged with the former there. Gazza, can ya PM me & gimme the addy to
that bathtub-place (and/or a rough road description), never been there actually.
GOnna refresh my mail addy so ya know where towrite.

Date: November 5, 2009 02:37

17 Rue Beautreilis, Peter. Its now an office .

Its in the Marais district (4e arrondissement). Go down Rue St Antoine in the direction of Place de la Bastille, and the street is on your right, heading towards the Seine.

Nearest metro stations - Sully-Morland, Bastille and St. Paul.

Hopefully this map will show a link

[maps.google.co.uk]

Date: November 5, 2009 02:48

Merci beaucoup, M'sieur Gazza!

Was there a window out towards the street from the flat.. ?
Could he see the Seine from the actual place? I have always pictured that.
Maybe only romantic mumbojumbo from me.

Gotta go & see the place.

Date: November 5, 2009 03:55

No..its a narrow side street...its maybe half a mile north of the river.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 5, 2009 11:49

i was thinking about this yesterday , i belive that jim morrison has become a creature of modern mythology. there are so many stories out there some true many false and i think even the doors themselves forget the man at times and embrace the myth.

Date: November 5, 2009 13:52

ghostryder13
i was thinking about this yesterday , i belive that jim morrison has become a creature of modern mythology. there are so many stories out there some true many false and i think even the doors themselves forget the man at times and embrace the myth.

Hm.. Why does that sound so familiar..

Date: November 5, 2009 13:53

Gazza
No..its a narrow side street...its maybe half a mile north of the river.

But that restaurant he ate at, before he passed away, thats near Seine aint it?

Date: November 5, 2009 14:17

Literally across the street from his apartment. I think its changed hands in recent years, though. Seemed to have done last time I was there. The previous owner seemed to make more of an issue that Jim used to eat there, and had photos up of him doing so, etc.

According to one of Pamela's stories (in one of the links I sent you) the last meal they had was in a Chinese place nearby, but I'd imagine thats not there now after 38 years ! Plus, you can take a lot of her stories about his final few hours with a large pinch of salt (especially as the story about him overdosing at the Rock n Roll Circus club has been given a bit more creedence in recent years), and the two people who know most about what really happened (herself and Count Jean de Breueteuil) both died soon after.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 5, 2009 14:21

with sssoul
>> then does the same for his guitarist, bassist, then his drummer and finally the keyboard player <<

the Department of Historical Accuracy just wants to note that the Doors didn't have a bassist.
they used session players in the studio, and in concert Manzarek played the bass lines on keys.

In fact the session bassist that the Doors used quite a bit was none other than Elvis' bassist from '69-77 Jerry Scheff.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 5, 2009 14:27

Of that Jagger/Morrison relationship. I think Morrison was to MIck something like Jimi Hendrix also were in 1967, and being as competive he is, I think Jagger was, if not jealous, but a bit confused of "what is going on". In fact, Jimi and Jim belong to first generation of pop/rock stars coming behind The Beatles abnd The Stones, and in 1967 - as spotted in some post here - the future was nothing but a rosey one for the Stones. Perhaps Mick as clever he is understood that he was wittnessing a genaration of new musicians who were wilder, sexier, more talented etc. in the same very game Mick and his Stones made their impact. The Stones would be beaten - a horrible scenario - in their very own game (x). I think it is natural that Mick felt hismelf threatened, and being perhaps treated as a fossile soon (remember it was the 60's, and all the things were hapening very quickly). But being a clever genre digger abnd adaptor he is/was, Mick came out as a winner. But I am sure Morrison affected to Jagger's stage persona (as, of course, he had originaly affected to Jim's image), especially that of devillisih "Turner" character who would rule the stage in 1968/1969.

In a way I can see Jim Morrison - and Jimi Hendrix - as the first ones in a long series of performers against to whom Jagger needed to reflect, and be affected by, in order to stay current. There would be David Bowie, Johnnie Rotten, etc. Even Michael Jackson of the 80's - I am sure - made huge impact and kick to Mick's ass. But toput this all into perspective, Mick is in a position that he could write a very long book of seeing people coming and going, but that he would still be on top. He is perhaps one of his kind to tell people like Bono, "you know, boy, I've seen so many people to be in position like yours..."

(x) = a very famous incidence of The Doors outbeating The Stones as the wild boys of rock is the Ed Sullican show incidence from 1967 ("Let's Spend Some Time Together" -> "The End")... The Doors were eating The Stones same poison as The Stones had eaten to the Beatles... (but of course, the busts and court appearances of which The Stones, finally, came out as winners, did a great for the Stones outlaw image.)

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-05 14:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 5, 2009 19:10

Baboon Bro
ghostryder13

i was think about that while reading a comic book yet i'm sure if i thought that others have

Date: November 5, 2009 21:41

ghostryder13
Baboon Bro
ghostryder13

i was think about that while reading a comic book yet i'm sure if i thought that others have

grinning smiley I was more thinkin of our beloved Keith....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1160
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home