Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Dylan at Budokan
Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: June 2, 2010 21:14

Maybe it was the fact that I listened to this on vinyl, or maybe it was the fact that i've been so used to the classic Dylan studio recordings -- but Dylan at Budokan is one of the most badass, funky, and awesome live albums I have ever heard. For some reason, it's not so popular -- I don't understand why.

This album should be played loud. Especially for All Along the Watchtower and It's Alright Ma.

Re: OT: Dylan at Budokan
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 2, 2010 21:22

I saw him in 1978 in LA right after they got back from Japan. Same band and setlist, basically. Great band and show. Some Girls came out the same week.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 2, 2010 21:32

I agree its an underrated album.

However, they should have waited until the European leg before they taped anything for a live album.

The European tour - especially the shows in London (6 nights in June) & Paris (5 nights in July) especially are amongst the greatest series of concerts of his entire career.

The US leg that followed it didnt come close.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: June 2, 2010 22:09

Gazza

However, they should have waited until the European leg before they taped anything for a live album.

The European tour - especially the shows in London (6 nights in June) & Paris (5 nights in July) especially are amongst the greatest series of concerts of his entire career.

Spot on with your European date picks, Gazza - those Paris shows, in particular, are awesome.

I've got the original Japanese pressing of Budokan. It's a slightly different mix to the familiar worldwide release. Guitars are more upfront.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 2, 2010 22:29

Gazza

the tour definitely hadn't reached its zenith during the far east leg...but i would argue that some of the better US shows that fall easily rivaled the best of the european ones....

Date: June 2, 2010 22:32

the critics largely blasted bob for this tour, which was a cash-cow to make up for the financial debacle of Renaldo & Clara. the critics had some valid points - it was a move toward "vegas" - and by contrast to the rawness of the two RTR tours and the preceeding Band tour, this one had a slickness and a commercial quality that shocked and disappointed many at the time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-02 22:50 by StonesTod.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 2, 2010 22:49

I recently got this album and heard it for the first time. Some of the arangments really blew me away by how good they sounded. But All in all, I still prefer the Rolling Thunder Review double CD. That one to me is good from start to finish, Budokon is more spotty and it and it doesn't really "breathe"... I much prefer the acustic Mr. Tambourine on Rolling Thunder Review, for example.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-02 22:50 by ryanpow.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 3, 2010 02:37

JMoisica
For some reason, it's not so popular -- I don't understand why.

Maybe because it stinks?

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: June 3, 2010 02:37

Gazza and Nikolai -- are any of those European dates available on bootleg? Different setlists?

Date: June 3, 2010 02:41

The arrangements were very radical and some critics were quite hostile. Dylan was sort of wearing a Vegas-y outfit with pants with a lightning bolt down the side. He had a great band including Steve Douglas on sax. The Street Legal stuff sounded much better live than the badly-mixed studio album. Good versions of songs like "Changing Of The Guard". The Christian phase came right after this.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 3, 2010 02:47

Yeah it is a great album. Yes slicker, but also a full on vision of his songs. And his voice is in fantastic form. Great version of Blowing in the Wind, one of the best. I too have the japanese pressing and yes indeed it is a different mix and a beautiful package.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 3, 2010 03:54

I wonder if the sweet girl in the geisha house remembers him?

Date: June 3, 2010 04:21

71Tele
The arrangements were very radical and some critics were quite hostile. Dylan was sort of wearing a Vegas-y outfit with pants with a lightning bolt down the side. He had a great band including Steve Douglas on sax. The Street Legal stuff sounded much better live than the badly-mixed studio album. Good versions of songs like "Changing Of The Guard". The Christian phase came right after this.

ah, but if you were paying attention, this WAS the start of the christian phase....and, artistically, one of his greatest eras....

Date: June 3, 2010 04:27

JMoisica
Gazza and Nikolai -- are any of those European dates available on bootleg? Different setlists?

All of them are available.

Pretty much the entire 1978 tour (some 114 shows or so) were uploaded as DVD audio files on Hunger City a few months ago. An incredible project.

Setlists didnt vary greatly from night to night within the European tour - although the Blackbushe festival gig (before about 200,000 people) in England at the end of it had a quite different show, and at almost 3 hours was Dylan's longest ever gig.

Best show of the tour for me is Paris July 8th. I'd put it up there in the top 3 Dylan shows ever, without question.

Setlists here - [www.bjorner.com]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 3, 2010 04:36

Glam Descendant
I wonder if the sweet girl in the geisha house remembers him?
I've heard he was deeply-moved by Soapland aka Japanese Turkish bath at his first visit here.winking smiley

Date: June 3, 2010 07:01

>Setlists didnt vary greatly from night to night within the European tour - although the Blackbushe festival gig (before about 200,000 people) in England at the end of it had a quite different show, and at almost 3 hours was Dylan's longest ever gig.

I'm pretty sure the Toad's Place gig was longer -- I think it was over 4 hours.

Date: June 3, 2010 07:17

Wikipedia says it was over 5 hours:

On January 12, 1990, Bob Dylan started a tour with a Toad's Place performance including four sets that lasted over five hours, his longest show to date. It was his first club performance in 25 years.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 3, 2010 08:46

I must say that Hard Rain is more in my taste, that's the 'real' Dylan...Take for example the flutes in 'I want you' from Budokan, or the 'ragga' Don't think twice...it was funny then, but is it now?...

Date: June 3, 2010 08:51

JMoisica

Oh yes. And in very good quality, a lot of them.

Date: June 3, 2010 08:53

Come On
I must say that Hard Rain is more in my taste, that's the 'real' Dylan...Take for example the flutes in 'I want you' from Budokan, or the 'ragga' Don't think twice...it was funny then, but is it now?...

Hard Rain is superb.

Date: June 3, 2010 08:55

StonesTod
71Tele

ah, but if you were paying attention, this WAS the start of the christian phase....and, artistically, one of his greatest eras....

Yes, I know. He had the back-up singers and was already going to that church in L.A. I believe a couple of the guys in his band (Dave Mansfield?) might have introduced him to the church. But he wasn't singing the Christian material yet. I saw one of the legendary shows at the Warfield in S.F. in '79 where he did only religious tunes. It was an electric atmosphere. Never forget it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 3, 2010 09:44

I would die in peace if I attended any of the concerts of Dylan/The Band in 1974.

Date: June 3, 2010 10:29

Glam Descendant
>Setlists didnt vary greatly from night to night within the European tour - although the Blackbushe festival gig (before about 200,000 people) in England at the end of it had a quite different show, and at almost 3 hours was Dylan's longest ever gig.

I'm pretty sure the Toad's Place gig was longer -- I think it was over 4 hours.

Toad's (in 1990) was over 4 hours, but it was 8 different sets of 40-45 minutes apiece.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 3, 2010 11:35

Gazza if you still have the flac files would you please reseed the June 8 gig at HC?
[www.hungercity.org]
The torrent's dead presently... Thx!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-03 11:35 by dcba.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 3, 2010 11:49

it was one of my first dylan albums and i retropsective i would say it made a whole wrong picture of dylan in the beginning for me. as with most (regular) dylan live albums, he released the worse in favour to the better ones. it´s very much vegas and the tour before (Rolling Thunder) and the ones after were a lot better, lot more energy & and weren´t ca$h cows

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: June 3, 2010 11:58

dcba, I could help you out with June 6. I downloaded the "Border Beneath the Sun Definitive Edition" bootleg (which is fantastic in every respect, just take that Shelter from the storm) some time ago and still have the flacs.

www.dimeadozen.org

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 3, 2010 12:17

I saw Dylan for the first time on this tour, and I hated it. The band was too big, the rearrangements generally stunk, Bob was in his Vegas crooner mode, etc. I much prefer the Never Ending Tour, which I've seen about 30 times.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 3, 2010 13:11

The most heralded souvenir for the people outside Japan is Dylan chocolate box.
Must-Have Items for Business Travelers.

True Confessions Far East Tour at Budokan was a ton better than 1978 show.
I saw both shows, but 1978 was a kind of AOR Dylan.
That's just my opinion.

Date: June 3, 2010 14:38

dcba/Baxlap

The Paris shows were July, not June (3,4,5,6,8)

I'm not really sure how to upload torrents, to be honest, but if I can get time to figure it out, I'll do it.

'Border beneath the sun' which baxlap mentions is on a similar plane to 8th July.

Date: June 3, 2010 15:14

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

Yes, I know. He had the back-up singers and was already going to that church in L.A. I believe a couple of the guys in his band (Dave Mansfield?) might have introduced him to the church. But he wasn't singing the Christian material yet. I saw one of the legendary shows at the Warfield in S.F. in '79 where he did only religious tunes. It was an electric atmosphere. Never forget it.

many of the lyrics of street-legal foretell his conversion...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home