Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT cost of importing CDs and or Vinyl from USA
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: October 14, 2009 16:43

Urbansteeel just recomended the American and Canadian Amazon sites for the Ya Yas sets.
Trouble is UK customs can impose a heavy Import duty of such items, they don't always charge , but boy when they do ,it is a big shock to the finances.
If the seller in the States ticks gift it is usually OK ,so ebay items are more often than not fine and don't incur import duty, however it is illegal for companies to claim that the contents of an export package as gift when they have sold it to you.
So it is always a risk when ordering from America.
Another way of course is for someone you know and trust in the States or Canada to send it on to you here in the UK , they can mark gift without a problem, most of the sites deliver free to a US address, I used to have family over there but alas no more.
A bit of a pain I know but it is a way round a potential problem.
While looking at the cost of the Ya Yas specials I read on the Amazon .com site , in their section ''people who bought this also bought''that Ton Petty is releasing a 4CD live anthology towards the end of November, and when I lookeed up his website , there was mentioned a 6CD special edition being sold through Best Buy that included an audio bluray with all 6CDSon it plus a few other goodies, no mention of price but it sure sounds interesting , now thats when you need somebody on the other side of the Atlantic you can rely on, after all you can pay Amazon direct for things and just pay your friend the shipping for most things , but you can't deal with Best Buy from the UK so it would entail getting someone to physically order it in the States and then ship it out, thats a lot of trouble to put someone through for a bit of music.
Would love to know how much it is none the less, the normal set is about $20 if I remember well.

found this link for Tom Petty if anybodies interested [www.tompetty.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-14 17:11 by adotulipson.

Re: OT cost of importing CDs and or Vinyl from USA
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: October 14, 2009 17:11

I made the experience that if you receive a bigger parcel from outside Europe you have only little chance not to pay a lot of duty. Maybe it's better to wait until the end of November and buy it here in Europe, e. g.:

[www.amazon.de]

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Date: October 14, 2009 17:17

midnrambler
I made the experience that if you receive a bigger parcel from outside Europe you have only little chance not to pay a lot of duty. Maybe it's better to wait until the end of November and buy it here in Europe, e. g.:

[www.amazon.de]

[www.amazon.co.uk]
I agree with you midnambler, only question that remains is do I really want to vinyl as well as the CDs for the extra £35

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 14, 2009 18:52

The way around it is to mark the items as a gift (dont buy them if it doesnt have that option) and send it that way. Makes it more believable if you send them to your wife, for example.

I think generally if its worth more than about £20 you're liable to import duty. As the cost of CDs in the US is usually around the same in dollars as they are in sterling in the UK, its worth doing it for things like expensive box sets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-14 18:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: October 14, 2009 19:09

Check out www.cdwow.com, they have both variations for pre-order, and free shipping.
The have national websites for the following countries:
Sites
Australia
Denmark
France
Germany
Hong Kong
Ireland
Japan
Netherlands
New Zealand
Sweden
United Kingdom
United States

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-14 19:12 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: October 24, 2009 21:46

Gazza
The way around it is to mark the items as a gift (dont buy them if it doesnt have that option) and send it that way. Makes it more believable if you send them to your wife, for example.

I think generally if its worth more than about £20 you're liable to import duty. As the cost of CDs in the US is usually around the same in dollars as they are in sterling in the UK, its worth doing it for things like expensive box sets.

In view of developments at Amazon UK, your advice might well come in handy if this is still available from here
[www.amazon.com].

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: October 26, 2009 11:15

The customs duty is only 3,5% of the value when importing from the US into the EC. The problem is the VAT which is between 15%-25% in different EC countries. A few times my parcels from the US have not been stopped by the customs, but most of the times they do. It's better to buy within the EC, and from outside the EC only when there is a certain title unavailable in the ec.
Mats

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 26, 2009 11:21

the tom petty Deluxe Edition with blueray etc will also be available in Europe if you read on his site carefully!
Also it will be on ebay, way cheaper when its out. It was the same with the Archives of Neil Young. I bought it on ebay and it was about 70 Euros cheaper sent from the US than buying it here. So, don´t worry

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 26, 2009 11:33

The strange thing with The Rolling Stones US-vinylalbums from the sixties (London) is that they never has been circulated in Sweden. Beatles US-albums (Capitol) were easy to find and I have them all, but not a single one of Stones. Was it easy to find them in London?, or let's say the rest of Europe?
Do someone know about this?

2 1 2 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home